Gibson USA factory tour

Reaction score
Thanks very much for that. I watched the You Tube vid off of Gearwire. I never have seen that before. Really shows what Americans can do if given the chance. Watching this just made me appreciate Gibson that much more.
Hardcore is the best word I think for it. :applause:

River side

Reaction score
So many broken links.

One of the best things about stickies, I suppose.

ajory72

Reaction score
Sånglöf;2436190 said:
I agree. Sounds strange...
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmZAmyNid9Q]Gibson Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Yes, around 3:00 + you see 3 pieces of wood being glued up and put on the "glue wheel".. looking closely you can see it, but of course we know this is not for every guitar.

I wonder if there is a definateive list of the amount of wood going into the backs of Gibsons?

(I remember in High School a kid had a Charvel one peice - well he said it was one piece and because it was painted silver none of us could tell if it was or not.....)

jcsk8

Reaction score
New from Premier Guitar:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbU1R4KDymw&feature=g-high-u]Gibson USA Factory Tour - YouTube[/ame]

Mr Teeny

Reaction score
-------------------------------
That was an enlightening video! That's definitely a job I would sure would love to have. Especially the guitar testing post.:applause:
after watching that premier guitar video I can't think of anywhere worse to work, just shows how much of a factory it's become with the majority of any skilled work taken over by machines, might be fun to be in the QC dept though :)

BlackSG91

Banned
Reaction score
after watching that premier guitar video I can't think of anywhere worse to work, just shows how much of a factory it's become with the majority of any skilled work taken over by machines, might be fun to be in the QC dept though :)
-----------------------------------
Come to think of it, you do have a really good point.:hmm: I've worked in a few factories (warehouse worker) over 20 years and it does remind me of that same atmosphere. I've worked in worse places so this doesn't seem to bad. But still, the guitar goes through many, many hands. I somewhat laughed when the narrator said these are highly skilled workers (highly skilled trained monkeys), like they were luthiers. They do one specific thing like glueing, etc, & if you do the same thing over & over & over again, of course you're going to become highly skilled at that one particular task. I bet they get paid crap! The QC dept. looks like they are the only ones that get respect, & good pay. I was always jealous of QC guys where-ever I worked.:rolleyes:

truefinger

Reaction score
So i bought Studio yesterday and it was made from 4 (four) pieces of wood! And they are not parallel)) My guitar looks like a Zebra on back, its so sad.

Maybe this guitar luck as four sheeted clover?

SoManyGuitars

Reaction score
Just watched the whole Premier Guitar video.... fascinating on so many fronts...
Of note was the discussion on grenadillo as a fingerboard, and the use of RFID to counter counterfeits....

In case the link has been changed, here it is again, as of 12/30/2012:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbU1R4KDymw&feature=player_embedded]Gibson USA Factory Tour - YouTube[/ame]

Ed Wrann

Reaction score
It looked like a hands on shop (for the most part), I wonder if they have an outlet store there on site?

TheBarnet

Reaction score
These videos just made me stare at my guitar for the past half hour...thinking about all the processes it went through...amazing.

Just watched the whole Premier Guitar video.... fascinating on so many fronts...
Of note was the discussion on grenadillo as a fingerboard, and the use of RFID to counter counterfeits....

In case the link has been changed, here it is again, as of 12/30/2012:
Gibson USA Factory Tour - YouTube