Gibson USA clearance prices?

Reaction score
Any chance that Gibson might clearance their 2019-2020 models the end of this year? I’ve been waiting patiently thinking they might. This has been a rollercoaster year to say the least.
J

mjross

Reaction score
I’m thinking no! Based on the sales engineers that I work with, inventory is low due to covid. I kind of doubt that there will be a clearance. But who knows?

Kit Tarkus

Reaction score
I don't know that Covid causing the problem with inventory. I just ordered a brand new LPJr. Tobacco Burst Single Cut from Guitar Center and received a 2019 model (built sept/oct 2019). If you call the normal places....you can generally always get a 10% off retail...occasionally perhaps 15%.....and in my experience very very seldom near 20% discount. Black Friday is coming up...you might get lucky with the model that you seek....but who really knows eh?

danzego

Reaction score
There’s no such thing as a 2019-20 model Gibson USA guitar anymore. They did away with that beginning with the Original and Modern Collections. They’re not year specific anymore and the only thing differentiating them from ones made last year is a serial number. So no, dealers won’t be clearing those out.

Anything before that when they were still doing yearly models might be, though.

danzego

Reaction score
I don't know that Covid causing the problem with inventory. I just ordered a brand new LPJr. Tobacco Burst Single Cut from Guitar Center and received a 2019 model (built sept/oct 2019). If you call the normal places....you can generally always get a 10% off retail...occasionally perhaps 15%.....and in my experience very very seldom near 20% discount. Black Friday is coming up...you might get lucky with the model that you seek....but who really knows eh?
Their production facilities were closed down for weeks. Meanwhile, people being on lock down caused them to buy new stuff (especially when the stimulus checks were issued). Gibson inventory is just coming back into stock for retailers within the last couple of weeks. COVID definitely affected inventory.

It also seems to be affecting many retailer’s willingness to give discounts. Guitar Center hasn’t issued any coupons since March and just this month, finally did a trade in and get 10% off new gear deal (they may have done this before now, but I didn’t see it. I think they did a “sign up for our credit card and get 10% off” last month). Smaller retailers may not be so tight on it, though.

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't hold your breath.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
There’s no such thing as a 2019-20 model Gibson USA guitar anymore. They did away with that beginning with the Original and Modern Collections. They’re not year specific anymore and the only thing differentiating them from ones made last year is a serial number. So no, dealers won’t be clearing those out.

While true (ie, that they are no longer putting the model year specifically on the headstock), since they can be ID’d by year of production via the SN, it’s kind of a non-event and most I suspect people are still referring to them as “2019 such and such”, “2020 such and such” etc., especially when selling used.

That said, I wouldn’t expect any discounts on any of them in the near future. :)

danzego

Reaction score
While true (ie, that they are no longer putting the model year specifically on the headstock), since they can be ID’d by year of production via the SN, it’s kind of a non-event and most I suspect people are still referring to them as “2019 such and such”, “2020 such and such” etc., especially when selling used.

That said, I wouldn’t expect any discounts on any of them in the near future. :)
Oh, for sure. I just mean in so far as retailers go, we aren't going to see the yearly price drops because the next year's model is coming in. Used, on the other hand, it's common practice to state the guitar's production year when selling and always has been. Of course that's going to happen there.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unlikely.
While the serial numbers will continue to indicate the date of manufacture, Gibson is no longer stamping the headstocks with the model year and has dispensed with the "model year" concept.
Like Fender, they will revise and release updated models at some interval, a new year might bring different color options, but there are no more "2019" or "2020" models.
Meaning, no push for dealers to clear out existing inventory.

lpfan1980

Reaction score

Yeah its era modelling now hard to get through my head so ysed to saying years.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
I think those days are gone for now. Might get a deal here or there but not like before.

Pappy35

Reaction score
When was shopping for a new guitar last month, Wildwood would offer, almost reflexively, almost 15% off of their regular Les Pauls (including Custom Shop ones) and about 8%-9% off their Gibson USA select models. It became routine after a few emails about different ones I liked and I deduced that they offer blanket discounts at two levels for every Gibson they sell. It's clearance day every day at some places if you just ask.

mjross

Reaction score
When was shopping for a new guitar last month, Wildwood would offer, almost reflexively, almost 15% off of their regular Les Pauls (including Custom Shop ones) and about 8%-9% off their Gibson USA select models. It became routine after a few emails about different ones I liked and I deduced that they offer blanket discounts at two levels for every Gibson they sell. It's clearance day every day at some places if you just ask.
Take my word for it, discounts are not what they use to be!

pirate19

Reaction score
Remaining stock of Junior Tribute Doublecuts (and Specials) seem to be getting closeout treatment at major retailers. "New" guitars (2019 serial numbers) selling at a discount (549 Jr, 599 Special)

Christosterone

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope...
covid operates outside normal economic models...
example:
my cars were up for new leases a few months ago...i had to pick from the lot for the first time in 20 years because they dont have the inventory nationwide for an exact match...factories have, in some capacity, closed from Detroit to Tokyo since March....

anyhow, supply is WAY down....while demand is also down

odd time to live in...

-chris

Latest Threads