Gibson Traditional Pro Questions

RocknPop

Reaction score
As I continue to learn more about Les Pauls I am running into a few deals that I seriously consider. I have the opportunity to buy a LP Trad Pro for $1,400. Condition is excellent, vintage burst, locking tuners, etc.

It looks like these are a step below the traditional and standard, but I can't figure out why other than the satin backs. Would someone please help me see the difference between a Traditional Pro and a regular Traditional?

Known differences to me:
- The Trad pro has the Classic 57 + BB3 combo, and I see that as an advantage)
- The Trad pro has a satin back (irrelevant to tone)

geezberry

Reaction score
The neck profile and the finish. Trad Pro is a fantastic value and just as good as a regular Traditional imho

RocknPop

Reaction score

GibsonMarshallGuy

Reaction score

cck801

Reaction score
I wouldn't consider the Pro to be a step down from the regular Trad. Maybe some would for purposes of resale value (b/c of the finish), but it is by no means a lesser guitar. My 2 pennies.

geezberry

Reaction score

RocknPop

Reaction score
I would absolutely be all over that. That particular model might be full gloss.

Just checked and it's satin back. Still, the color looks cool.

Debating between this LP Trad Pro in Pelham blue NEW at $1,529 shipped, or a used Traditional in the $1400-$1500 range... Anything I'm missing? Guess the only thing I get with buying new is warranty and peace of mind that the guitar was no abused.

geezberry

Reaction score
Deal is good. i would buy it. Love those Blue ones. They probably wont be around again for awhile

Eric Smith

Reaction score
Remember that the satin back is eventually going to polish itself. It doen't take long for the neck to feel like a wonderfully polished piece of wood. The Trad Pro is an awesome instrument. I'm not big on the cherry finish, but the rest of them are nice.

RocknPop

Reaction score
Sounds good. Tone-wise, am I missing anything from the Traditional? Guess I can always swap the pups if needed.

paulgibson

Reaction score
I always thought the trad pro had the 60s neck and the trad had the 50s? why then does this pro come with a 50s neck?

Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

RocknPop

Reaction score
Hmm... very tempted to buy the guitar tonight. But that would be a rash decision, so I think I'll sleep on it. But man, sounds like a good deal huh? I have to factor in whether or not I will want a flame top later.... (reason should tell my emotion that that does not affect tone!)

92Standard

Reaction score
The Pelham Blue is a beautiful classic color IMO. I love the zebra's in that pic!!!

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The original run of Traditional Pros were only in 60s necks. In late 2010 they started offering some with 50s necks, but the colors/necks never overlapped. Pelham Blue was only offered in the 50s neck. And one more difference between Traditional and Traditional Pro--Pro has locking tuners as well.

Latest Threads