Gibson three-screw truss rod cover....

daveyherby

Reaction score
Hiya.
I found a ??probably/possibly fake?? Dove (with a three screw hummingbird truss rod cover plate on it) !!
I guess its probably a fake but it looks ok and I've heard about some weird stories online.

IMG_7567.jpg

IMG_7568.jpg

IMG_7569 2.jpg

what are the chances this is legit?

is that kind of scratch plate fade normal?
and those pearl inlays maybe look a bit off line at 12??

I am going to go look at it tomorrow morning anyway so I'll let you know how it plays.
From the photos I've got is there any obvious fakery to anyone eyes? (besides the ?blank (white) sticker and truss rod cover weirdness...)

I'll get a photo of any serial numbers etc tomorro

rockstar232007

Reaction score
The first clue should be the blank sticker, on the inside of the guitar.

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
lots of older acoustic had the 3 screw TRC..........as far as electrics?

Only the Epi's that I know of....as far as the USA line.

Weren't the Sonex, Marauders etc. etc. produced or assembled somewhere else?

guitarzzan

Reaction score
The only Gibson guitar model that has more than two scrws holding the truss-rod cover would be the Gibson Flying V...in black & white. I can't think of any other Gibson that has more than two screws holding the truss-rod cover plate on. The Gibson Flying V bass guitar truss-rod covers have just two screws...same as these, but two screws.

Attachments

• gibson-flying-truss-rod-cover-black_360_1e57db17d01dbfcd557f5848a6068aa7.jpg
    gibson-flying-truss-rod-cover-black_360_1e57db17d01dbfcd557f5848a6068aa7.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 4
  • FVEE.jpg
    FVEE.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 5

gball

Reaction score
The only Gibson guitar model that has more than two scrws holding the truss-rod cover would be the Gibson Flying V...in black & white. I can't think of any other Gibson that has more than two screws holding the truss-rod cover plate on. The Gibson Flying V bass guitar truss-rod covers have just two screws...same as these, but two screws.

Along with the V's, the Firebird has 3 screws, and as seen above there have been acoustic models over the years too. And at least some years of the Sonex had them...

original.jpg

And I recently saw an Invader in a shop with a 3-hole one. Probably other models through the years had them too.

Latest Threads