Gibson & their wacky pickguard choices!

Pancreas

Reaction score
This is not a very important post, just a curiosity thing. I am the proud owner of a new 2020 Les Paul Tribute and also recently picked up a 2019 Les Paul Traditional. Both in Tobacco Burst, my color of choice. The Tribute arrived from AMS with the pickguard pre-installed but the Traditional has never had a pickguard mounted.
How does Gibson decide which models get them? And, which years/model LP's came with pre-installed pickguards? And which models didn't?
Normally, I prefer the slab of plastic, if it's already installed. I just can't bring myself to drill holes in my Traditional though. (Or any of my guitars) I love the top.
20210429_155543_copy_1114x1753.jpg

F Diminted

Reaction score
Nice tobacco burst, no way I'd put a guard on that one.
Mine are.
2018 Desert Burst Studio , no guard.
2018 Cherry Burst Standard, no guard.
2019 Goldtop Classic , guard.
2000 Wine red Standard , guard.
2020 Epiphone Alpine White Custom, Guard.

sonar1

Reaction score
If there aren’t holes them already I generally leave them as-is.
My exception was my 2020 Slash Standard November Burst, that had such a great so-called “jazz” sound (as well as R&R sound), I found my self wanting my traditional finger rest feel when noodling jazz for a period, so added the pickguard.
F5171F10-2320-4471-8255-4DB598601C53.jpeg

C6B7A4E2-DF70-474B-ADA0-B722BE2CE9E9.jpeg

However I was able to call the Dahli Lama (collect) and get a Special Dispensation for putting it on, so I got that goin’ for me.

Phylodog

Reaction score
Couldn't pay me to drill that hole in it either, that's gorgeous.

Pancreas

Reaction score
Mine are.
Nice collection! I don't think I'll ever own that many (at least at once) I'm now on the lookout for a unique Custom to call my own.

Pancreas

Reaction score
Mine are.
Couldn't pay me to drill that hole in it either, that's gorgeous.
Thanks man! She's a keeper.
Nice collection! I don't think I'll ever own that many (at least at once) I'm now on the lookout for a unique Custom to call my own

ARandall

Reaction score
They probably scatter the pickguard free models through the range.
Maybe due to the fact that the people wanting it on or off are buying all sorts of models.

fretout

Reaction score
Unless it was specified, Gibson used to place the pickguard and all supporting hardware in the case, to be installed by the buyer. Sometimes the retailer would make the choice for you.

Has this changed? Has anyone purchased a new Gibson (non-signature, non-reissue) and had the pickguard pre-installed?

sparky2

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the pickguards on Les Pauls.

I only mounted this one on mine because I bought the guitar used, and though I didn't mind that it was battered and dinged-up, one gouge in particular was so ugly it was eye-catching.

So I covered it up.
:)

Dark Horse

Reaction score
Unless it was specified, Gibson used to place the pickguard and all supporting hardware in the case, to be installed by the buyer. Sometimes the retailer would make the choice for you.

Has this changed? Has anyone purchased a new Gibson (non-signature, non-reissue) and had the pickguard pre-installed?
Both my L.P. Studio 2017 and Standard 60s came with pick guard installed. I took the guard off the 60s and found overlooked smaller and naked without it. I also didn't like the holes so out it back on.

I'd prefer it if they offered colour choices for the guards, pickup casings and toggle switch as I think black would have looked awesome with the bourbon burst.

fretout

Reaction score
Both my L.P. Studio 2017 and Standard 60s came with pick guard installed. I took the guard off the 60s and found overlooked smaller and naked without it. I also didn't like the holes so out it back on.

I'd prefer it if they offered colour choices for the guards, pickup casings and toggle switch as I think black would have looked awesome with the bourbon burst.
True, I forgot about the Studios. They all have the PGs installed.

Personally, I like contrast, so the lighter plastics always looked good to me on the dark/bourbon burst.

If you replaced the plastics with black parts, I bet it’d look good as well...just like a Silverburst looks good with black plastics. Come to think of it, Customs typically come with Black plastics, even on bursts (tobacco burst, Silverburst, tribursts come to mind)...

Latest Threads