Gibson The Hawk!

P-Nutz

Reaction score
I just picked up a black one from Reverb; it's back home whilst I vacation, so I won't be able to really look it over until Monday.

I already have a Nighthawk from the same era (my second; stupidly sold the first one, 'tho this one's nicer) but don't know much about the plain ol' The Hawk except that they are the same body style, scale length, etc. as the Nighthawks and Blueshawks, but way less expensive.

Anybody own one or have any insights?

Peace.

LSAR

Reaction score
I've wanted one for a while. Can't contribute much more than that honestly. They seem like they should be a pretty sweet little instrument. Congrats on the acquisition.

FiftySevenPhil

Reaction score
Fellow Nighthawk owner here. I'm all ears on the Hawk. All I've heard is that in most respects it's the same guitar, only with a conventional pickup set.

I'd love to hear your comparison/contrast with the NH.

P-Nutz

Reaction score
57P-I'll do a direct side-by-side when I get home early next week; I'm eager to get it set up and check it out ...

P-Nutz

Reaction score
So, first impression? I like it! Obviously identical body shape, scale length, etc. pretty plain Jane with no binding or bling, almost (dare I say it on this forum?) Tele-like ...

It has a Seymour Duncan in the neck (not sure which one) and the stock bridge pickup, which I believe were a Gibson 490 something-or-other. It also came with a Leo Quan bridge, which I have never dealt with before, but which should aid in intonation from the standard Gibson wraparound; works fine for me!

Neck is meaty, but not baseball-batty, and I would guess slim-taper by the feel; I like it.

Dinged up as a 20-year-old guitar gets, but overall in awesome shape.

It's a keeper ...

FiftySevenPhil

Reaction score
My NH has a '50s round I think it's called, and like yours meaty and not baseball bat. Also not shoulder'y. If your Hawk is anything like mine, it's a great neck. My favorite neck.

I wonder if anyone's tried to put a tele bridge pickup in one of these. It almost looks like you could...

straightblues

Reaction score
I just got a The Hawk. It is a really good sounding guitar. Mine is stock except for the Leo Quan Badass bridge. I didn't think the scale length would be a big deal, but it sure gives it a mix of Fender and Gibson tones. I am glad I picked this thing up. I am having fun with it. There sure isn't a lot of information about these guitars. There must not be too many of the out there.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
4 years later.......I've had this since new back in '96 and it's still one of my favorite guitars today. The pickups which I believe are 490R/498T are absolutely fantastic. Don't know why but this thing makes me play black metal. Not sure why but it goes quite well on this thing. I highly recommend since you can get them really cheap. And the rosewood fretboard is a beautifully dark wood worn to perfection.

Attachments

Last edited:

Wise Guy

Reaction score
... tho' my ancient iPad camera not so much ...
Interesting. My '96 doesn't have the flower inlay on the headstock. Is yours a '97? Since they were only made for 2 years...

Latest Threads