Gibson Studio VS Standard???

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
try to get something for where your skill levels at

I say buy the best guitar you can afford. First, it will make playing more enjoyable. Second, it will inspire you to play (both from being a good guitar and because of how much you paid for it) which will only help you to improve. Third, you will grow into it and won't do what people like me did which was to buy a cheaper guitar, play it for a while, then get rid of it to move up a bit, then repeat the same process with that guitar. Fourth, if it is of high enough quality you will have it for the rest of your life and although you might choose to, you will never need to buy another guitar again.

My playing abilities do not justify my ownership of the Les Paul that I have but it has definitely inspired me to play a lot more since I got it and I can tell that my playing has improved in that time. Plus, even though I might choose to buy another guitar at some point (a Tele and probably another Gibson), I will be doing that out of choice and will never need to buy another one. If for some reason I was never able to afford another guitar again it wouldn't matter as I have a great one now that I will be happy with for the rest of my life.

So buying the best that you can afford, rather than buying for your current abilities, is, to my mind, the smartest way to go.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
Stay away from this post. Don't settle for a guitar that is only as good as you are. It's why 99% of people quit playing. They suck in the beginning, so they buy a guitar that is on their skill level....it takes vice grips to fret the guitar, so it shreds their fingers and on and on. Get the best you can afford, something that inspires you to be worthy of it. If you and your guitar are equals, then you simply have to learn one more note and you will have outgrown your guitar already. So, buy once, buy wise.

+1000

I made my post above before seeing this post and I couldn't agree more - excellent points.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
**** me, I just realized this is a necrothread. I have to start paying attention to dates on posts before I reply.

COFLH

Reaction score
IMO, this simple video comparison ends all debate. The standard wins hands down. Always buy the best you can afford. You're rarely disappointed. Buy the cheapest, and you usually are.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA_D_bgc8KA]Studio Vs Standard - YouTube[/ame]

hector

Reaction score
My best looking LP is a custom.
My best feeling LP is a standard.
My best sounding LP is a studio.

Sound is probably most important to me.

sweatyhand

Reaction score
In a word, no. Studios are freakin awesome and are by far the best bang for your buck.

SG is ~!!! How much does Studio go for ???

Many people want to own a Gibson Les Paul Standard just because it is an iconic guitar. That doesn't mean a Standard is 'better' than a Studio, just more desirable so it commands a higher price.

It costs more to build a standard, so some of the higher pricing is due to that. The remainder is brand premium and if people will pay an extra 500-1200 dollars, then Gibson like any business will take the money...... ker-ching!!

SG is in the safe zone then ~!!! and sounds great, better for the money.

xxxWACKERxxx

Reaction score
Can't beat the alpine white studio with ebony fangerboardz. ToNe iZ aLL thAt MatTeRRZ

jongotom

Reaction score
Hello, Ive just got a gibson les paul studio fireburst with gold hardware, does anyone have any tips on stopping the hardware from fading over time?

Mimsey

Banned
Reaction score
FWIW I'm going to chime in here, up front I'm 16 and have only been playing for about 4 years so flame on if you need to.

I have a studio and it is a fine guitar it has severd me vey well.

Recently I played a friends 2008 standard and I was impressed, I was mostly impressed by the overall feel and especially how the neck felt because the binding over the fret ends made it oh so smooth.

I have played all of the standards at the local GC and at another local chain and I only found two that are not as good an instrument as my freshly set up studio and I think that was just because they were dogs.

I played a bunch of new studios too and of course they are mostly fine guitars but I can't say they are in the same class ans the Standards.

Yes coughing up an extra grand or two is nothing to shrug at but that's life. I'm in the market for one.

GuitarToneFreak

Reaction score
Hello, Ive just got a gibson les paul studio fireburst with gold hardware, does anyone have any tips on stopping the hardware from fading over time?

I don't think it can be avoided, it'll happen. I have nickel hardware on my guitar and it's aged nicely - there may be ways to lessen the effect (and I don't know what those would be), but you can't outright avoid it.

IMO, faded/naturally aged hardware looks killer - it gives the guitar character :dude:

TarHeelKid

Reaction score
I love them both, if this is still an active thread. I like the glitz and glam of the Standard, but I like the hardware and much more friendly price tag on the studio models. The studio faded models are putting genuine Les Paul's (and SG's) in the hands of players who normally would not be able to afford these awesome rockers, and many with hardware appointments that rival standards/customs. I give Gibson TONS of credit for this. Out of all of my Gibson's of past and present, I still have to give the SG the upper hand overall, but of course this is simply an opinion! I must admit, I don't feel as bad dinging and rashing up my Studio vs. my fancier Standard + models :)

balanga

Reaction score
I've found this thread as the 1st result in google, so I'm going to post my opinion here ;)

My opinion is a little different because I like to have many different tones so I have a few guitars to cover many areas. I mean : I'm not addicted to Les Pauls, it's just another guitar for me.

IMO there is no big difference in quality of these models. In terms of tone, I would say every one is different, it's a lottery. I think Gibson produces the most inconsistent sounding guitars, though most of them sound good.

Here are Gibsons I had/have:
gibolseng.jpg

Kramer = harsh, tight, good for modern metal.
LP Classic Custom = clear, Les Paul glass, acoustic sound
1990 Standard = quite tight, bright, oldschool rock sound
1995 studio+ebony = very tight, dark sound, meaty (more gain)
1995 studio+rosewood=quite tight, balanced, meaty (more gain)

I like oldschool hard rock, metal tones so these studios sound better than others for me.
Anyway the best sounding one is my friend's Black LP Traditional 2008. I've tried some other traditionals but never found one like his.

If it comes to Gibson, I think it's all about 'mojo'.
Nitro lacquer is overrated, in think Gibson is using nitro to keep 'traditional' hype.
I wonder why they're using weight-relief or chambering instead of making some belly-cut (like Kramer LP or LTD/ESP LPs).
Also from my (little) experience, older models have more tight,focused/nasal sound, while new models tend to sound more open.
I've also noticed some swirl/polishing scratches on new black Gibsons, I couldn't find flaws like that in old ones.
Compared to PRS, Peavey or Fender (at least deluxe models), I would say Gibson has the worst quality/price ratio. I'm buying Gibsons because it's easy to find good one but I wouldn't be surprised if some cheaper guitar would be as good as Gibson.

Old is not always better. My friend had 1986 sandwich LP Custom and it wasn't much better than old, good korean Epiphone LP Custom.

RockerDuck

Reaction score
My 68 black beauty, that I played close to 40 yrs., doesn't sound as good as my Les Paul Classic. Both guitars rock tho'. My Faded Cherry Studio, with BBpros, is more thick sounding than the 3. The Studio's cleans are like the Paf's on the 68 Les Paul .

Clinchriver

Reaction score
Totally shocked & amazed!
Just got my third Les Paul, A Joe Bonnamassa Studio model and its the best sounding & playing Les Paul, I have ever experienced. I was on Craigslist and saw this guitar and the owner wanted to trade for an AR-15....... worked out a deal. :dude:

I have not owned or played a LP in years, I mainly play bluegrass. I have two parts casters, B-bender Tele, Gibson 335 Dot reissue, & a couple of Martins and a few of my own builds, my main amp is a Mesa Boogie DC-10. When I got the guitar I really was not thrilled with the black body and neck, liked the fatter neck though. (no binding was kinda weird) Sounded great unplugged and it the best sounding Les Paul clean I've ever heard, I can A/B it with my Tele and it hangs with it note for note. Its typical Les Paul with the Boogie wound out. Fit & finish are as good as anything. Hard to put down and my 12 year old daughter who is learning to play loves it.

Latest Threads