Gibson Studio VS Standard???

"Sunny"

Reaction score
i like both the standards and the studios. but i can not be any happier with my standard. i also love the flamed maple. plus the studios don't have binding, and i just seems that a classic Gibson Les Paul NEEDS binding. thats just me. play both and compare them and find the one you like the most, and what looks and sounds better to you.

bubb_tubbs

Reaction score
Wow. I don't agree. AT ALL. Dude, what do you mean?

Pretty sure he meant that somebody concerned only with the tone and playability and ignoring all other factors would be likely to go for a Studio since it's basically a Standard sans binding.

Tenon isn't really that big of an issue because I'd assume you'd play a bunch and pick the one that sustains the best anyhow.

I don't think it was intended to mean that anybody who picked something more expensive than a Studio was inherently less musically inclined.

Paul_Cat

Reaction score
lv.0-30 - beginner - buy a starter pack consisting of a guitar and amp
lv.30-50 - intermediate - buy a higher priced/quality guitar (Gibson LP studio)
lv.50-70 - professional - buy an even higher priced/quality guitar (Gibson LP standard)
lv.70-100 - epic - buy a historic, preferably an original '59

And this is how you determine what guitar to own:rofl:

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wow. I don't agree. AT ALL. Dude, what do you mean?

Hey, you know what it's like with opinions.

Gibson, the majority of the forum members and I also disagree with your opinion that a Les Paul Classic is a 1960 Reissue. :cool:

Rafał

Reaction score
The "1960" on the pickguard doesn't make classic a '60 Reissue, just like Randy Rhoads name on the pickguard doesn't make it a Randy Rhoads. Also, there were no high output ceramic pickups in 1960.

From Official Gibson Wikia: "The Les Paul Classic modernizes the legendary Gibson Les Paul, offering guitarists the combination of the slim-taper neck of a ’60s Les Paul and the supercharged power of ceramic magnet humbuckers. The result is a screaming fast Les Paul – a new classic for rocking through the twenty-first century."

Reaction score
Haha well thank you very much. :)
But that doesn't make me any more or less musician than I am.
I'll fix it right now. ;)

*Fixed.

Mr Insane

Reaction score
you know what...
128842144376814442.jpg

lp_junkie

Reaction score
I have never liked the studio, plain and boring. The Standard is what I have always chosen over the last 30+ years.

King Loudness

Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that while Studio's and such are nice guitars, I'd really rather spend the extra coin and get a Standard, Traditional, or maybe a Classic. They just feel more substantial to me than the Studio's I've played, and ultimately, the Traditional got my money.

dcmey

Reaction score
I have never liked the studio, plain and boring. The Standard is what I have always chosen over the last 30+ years.

Studios may be plain and boring but they are good guitars, they play very well.

dcmey

Reaction score
[quote="Sunny";1785305]i like both the standards and the studios. but i can not be any happier with my standard. i also love the flamed maple. plus the studios don't have binding, and i just seems that a classic Gibson Les Paul NEEDS binding. thats just me. play both and compare them and find the one you like the most, and what looks and sounds better to you.[/quote]

I have yet to hear the differance a binding adds to the tone of the guitar.

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

I have yet to hear the differance a binding adds to the tone of the guitar.

Since when are looks not a valid reason to dislike a guitar, anymore?
I also prefer Standards over Studios, because I simply don't like the boring looks of the Studios.
Heck, I wouldn't even buy an R6 or R7, because no matter how great they are, I just can't stand Gold Tops.

lp_junkie

Reaction score

I agree they still sound like a Les Paul, for me it's the cosmetics that have always put me off to them.

macabaeemusic

Reaction score
Hi All... I'm starting to look around for a new guitar to add to my collection & have a fairly basic question, what's the difference between a Gibson's Studio and Standard models? I know there are some cosmetic differences such as the body and neck binding and know that some of the cheaper studios come with 300k pots and 490 pickups where the standards usually have 500k pots and burstbucker pro pickups. I also know that the electronics in different studio models vary too, 300k pots in a mahogony studio while a studio deluxe has 500k pots. I'm sure theres more variation in electronics when it comes to Standards, but is there much else that may be different between the studios and the standards? Is there really a difference between the two that justifies the extra 500 to 1200 dollar price tags?
Long story short, I chose a studio over all the other Les Pauls in the store and I'm still in love.
I was planning on buying a Standard or Traditional and I played every one I could find before buying. I tried a studio and was surprised at how much better it felt and sounded unplugged...I couldn't believe it. I plugged it in and it sounded as good as the other ones, better to me because the feel of a well balanced D chord makes it sound better...granted I was in a Guitar Center and subtlety is not to be experienced there, but even in there I could tell what the obvious choice was. The one I have feels better made, sort of like a Telecaster...a solid platform... the pots have great roll off subtlety, and I get a big chunky Les Paul growl when I turn the tube amp up and roll off a little more than half way off the guitar. Maybe I got lucky, but I'm keeping the studio. The same thing goes for the SG Classic... with the p 90s... blows away its more expensive brothers. People are really fooled by the higher price tag when it comes to guitars. I think gibson has gotten away with overpricing their guitars for years and the Studio and SG Classic are the freakishly well made, future coveted result of Gibson's successful quality control effort. Get one now before Gibson gets complacent again.

dynabite

Reaction score
I didn't like studios until I found one with the fattest mid range I've ever heard but there's a lot of dogs so your ears have to be the judge. Who cares about looks, that's what got us into this mess. :slash:

mgenet

Earth = Cheese Burger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my take.
Have both.

My Studio has two P-90's and I love the sound. Clean. Crisp.

My 08 Standard's neck feels wonderful; refined, compared to my Studio's neck.

SO.

I like them both for different reasons.

Then there is the routine reply...play them both and then decide.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
That's what I was kinda thinking... I'm only hobby player & 2000+ grand for a new axe may be a little unneeded. I'm sure I'll find a nice Studio with a little searching around. Maybe a Studio Deluxe is in my future?

Grab a Traditional, right in between the Studio and the Standard and it doesn't have the gimmicky stuff that new Standards do.

Latest Threads