Gibson Studio VS Standard???

04renostar

Reaction score
Hi All... I'm starting to look around for a new guitar to add to my collection & have a fairly basic question, what's the difference between a Gibson's Studio and Standard models? I know there are some cosmetic differences such as the body and neck binding and know that some of the cheaper studios come with 300k pots and 490 pickups where the standards usually have 500k pots and burstbucker pro pickups. I also know that the electronics in different studio models vary too, 300k pots in a mahogony studio while a studio deluxe has 500k pots. I'm sure theres more variation in electronics when it comes to Standards, but is there much else that may be different between the studios and the standards? Is there really a difference between the two that justifies the extra 500 to 1200 dollar price tags?

GeeJay

Reaction score
Many people want to own a Gibson Les Paul Standard just because it is an iconic guitar. That doesn't mean a Standard is 'better' than a Studio, just more desirable so it commands a higher price.

It costs more to build a standard, so some of the higher pricing is due to that. The remainder is brand premium and if people will pay an extra 500-1200 dollars, then Gibson like any business will take the money...... ker-ching!!

tomaseriksson

Reaction score
I have a studio and a standard. Even though my standard cost twice I still think it's worth it. My standard is so much better in every way. Looks better, sounds better, feels better... When I fall in love over and over again with my standard, not so much with the studio...

But maybe I'm just a cork sniffer...

btw, use the search. There is probably hundreds of threads about this topic

04renostar

Reaction score
In a word, no. Studios are freakin awesome and are by far the best bang for your buck.

That's what I was kinda thinking... I'm only hobby player & 2000+ grand for a new axe may be a little unneeded. I'm sure I'll find a nice Studio with a little searching around. Maybe a Studio Deluxe is in my future?

04renostar

Reaction score
I have a studio and a standard. Even though my standard cost twice I still think it's worth it. My standard is so much better in every way. Looks better, sounds better, feels better... When I fall in love over and over again with my standard, not so much with the studio...

But maybe I'm just a cork sniffer...

btw, use the search. There is probably hundreds of threads about this topic

Does the neck feel and play differently on the studio than the std? Do they have the same pickups and other stuff?

jon1

Reaction score
Does the neck feel and play differently on the studio than the std? Do they have the same pickups and other stuff?

They dont have the same pickups. The standard has BB Pro's.

wallym

Reaction score
My Studio is a Wine Red '93 model it has the 490R 498T pickup set.
I'm pretty sure it also has an ebony fretboard, I don't know how common this is for this colour axe, I thought only the black studios used ebony and the rest had rosewood.
Anyhow, apart from it being obviously a lesser quality build than a standard (inlays in particular) I think it's still a damn fine guitar.
And as far as playability goes, it's definately as good as a standard.

Weaver

Reaction score
try to get something for where your skill levels at, try playing them yourself see what you like personally. sure you can hear everyones opinions but its your guitar and what you prefer in the end.

Last

The Cleaner
Reaction score
Like many Gibson Guitars there are some awesome Studios & some incredible Studios. Same applies to the Standards.

As GeeJay already stated there's a premium just, well just cause of they can & because of its iconic stature.

Unfortunately there are DUDS in all categories Historics & Sig Models included.

However, you're more likely to get an incredible guitar the higher up the ladder you go due to the quality control, parts used & design features.

There are Studios that rival even the most expensive models that Gibson makes but they aren't laid out with all the glitzy appointments.

When it comes right down to it, are you going to look at it or play it? :dude:

Don't get me wrong though, as there are plenty of Dogs that simply look incredible & I'd love to own them as well. :cool:

ScottGrove

Banned
Reaction score
try to get something for where your skill levels at, try playing them yourself see what you like personally. sure you can hear everyones opinions but its your guitar and what you prefer in the end.

Stay away from this post. Don't settle for a guitar that is only as good as you are. It's why 99% of people quit playing. They suck in the beginning, so they buy a guitar that is on their skill level....it takes vice grips to fret the guitar, so it shreds their fingers and on and on. Get the best you can afford, something that inspires you to be worthy of it. If you and your guitar are equals, then you simply have to learn one more note and you will have outgrown your guitar already. So, buy once, buy wise.

Iceman0124

Reaction score
Mt take on the skill level thing is BS. If you see something you like, can comfortably afford it without scarificing the needs of those you support....GET IT and enjoy it :slash: . A guitar your in love with will make you play it more plain and simple. Just make sure its a good one, not a just a pretty one.

Also if you get a worn studio, you can always dress her up later, check out what Last (member who already posted in this thread) is doing to mine :cool:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gib...dio-wc-refin-now-progress-very-pic-heavy.html

BUDOKAI

Reaction score
Standards just feel better. Studios are good too but some are kind of ugly imo.

Iceman0124

Reaction score
Visuals arent everything, my VM studio felt as nice or better than my old standard. No two guitars are going to feel the same anyway...I've played some historics that made me wish for my old epi...theres always going to be good, bad, total turds, and oh my frickin god guitars from all lines...just how it is.

Latest Threads