Gibson studio not staying in tune :(

GuitarCrazzzy

Reaction score
Ok,

I put new really good strings on and tuned my guitar and also I pulled the strings to get the slack out of them, but when I tune it my tuner keeps saying its tuned then when I do it again it says its a bit sharp and flat!

Does anyone know what could be wrong?, should I put some pencil led in the nut slots?

If you need any more info tell me I dont wont u to get the wrong end of the stick. :laugh2:

dcmey

Reaction score
Do you have a keyboard? Make sure your stings are in tune with that if you do.

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
1) Are you tuning up to pitch?
2) Pencil lead is messy, regular chap stick is easier.
3) Completely stretching strings takes a few times to complete.

GuitarCrazzzy

Reaction score
1. I am tuning untill the light goes green and the tuner is a Korg GA-30.

2. ye pencil led is messy but its all I got :(

3. I stretched the strings 4 times each maybe I might have to stretch them more?

GibsonRocker

Reaction score
Tune a string. Stretch it. Retune. When it no longer goes flat after you stretch, move on to the next. Also, make sure your are holding down the string at the first fret.

qwank

Reaction score
well the first time you tune after changing strings, you always have to retune right away, because everystring you bring to pitch, puts tenson on the neck and detunes the string in front of it.

it takes a little while for the strings to stretch. i usually play some real heavy powerchord stuff for about a half hour after the strings are on and keep retuning after every song.

GuitarCrazzzy

Reaction score
Ok I will try if it doesnt work I will report back lol, but I have trust in this to work.

Ermghoti

Reaction score
1. String your guitar properly. The best way is to under-wrap: put the string through the tuner hole, with enough slack to pul it 1/2" to an inch from the fretboard. Wrap the string 1/2 of the way around the post, the opposite way the tuner will wind. Pass that tag end under the main string, and pull it straight away from the peghead. Tune to pitch, you should end up with 1 and 1/2 to maybe three wraps if you did it right.

2.As already mentioned, stretch your strings. I hold the guitar in my lap, grab the string in my fist near the neck joint, hold the string in the nut with my other hand, and twist pretty hard, pulling the string straight away from both the head and bridge simultaneously. It'll take 4-6 stretches to get pretty close.

3. Always, always tune up, from flat to sharp. If you're sharp, tune down, and then back up. Other wise, the guitar will quickly go flat.

4. Learn to read your tuner. The initial attack is sharper than the sustained note. I tune to the sustained note, after about two seconds, the note should have settled down.

5. Lubricate and/or cut the nut properly. The stings should not "pink" during tuning or bending. If a little pencil lead or commercial lubricant doesn't fix it, the nut will need a taste of file.

6. Same as above, with the saddles.

7. Don't overlook intonation. If the intonation is hosed, you'll tune to open strings, find that chords are out of tune, retune to fix them, find you're out of tune in a different key, and then eventually do something silly like replacing the tuners.

8. It's never the tuners.

GuitarCrazzzy

Reaction score
I have tested pulling string untill it just says green, but it hasnt worked I have pulled the string over 20 times now and its still slipping out of tune must be the nut it doesnt have anoth grip probaly but idk.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
:hmm:

That guitar sounds like it's messed up. Mebbe you outta throw it away. (after all, if it can't stay in tune!!!)

GuitarCrazzzy

Reaction score
I might have to get my local guitar store have a look to see whats wrong, no way would I throw it away thats just foolish.

LesPauI+SG=Win

Reaction score
Tune it up and let it sit overnight, the next day tune it then play it then tune it again, should work

The_Sentry

Reaction score
I might have to get my local guitar store have a look to see whats wrong, no way would I throw it away thats just foolish.

I know, man...I'm just kidding about that.

I had a similar issue with my Studio. I chalk it up to the Earvana nut they put on those...when I get around to it, I'll probably get a graphtech nut installed. (the price on those aren't too bad.)

GuitarCrazzzy

Reaction score
I know u were kidding lol, its probaly something of nothing that could be fixed easaly.

nauc

Reaction score
id take it to an Gibson authorized service center

Warranty Service Center

im sure its not a warranty issue but better they work on it than Guitar Center

i got my first Studio 8 months ago, had it setup and had a bone nut installed. its stays in tune better but not perfect

River

Reaction score
Geez.....lube the damned nut!!!!!

NOOOO.JPG

Much more fun making rocket science out of it!

Graphite on the nut, graphite on the bridge saddles. Stretch new strings. If the tuning pegs aren't spinning like tops, thing'll stay in tune. :thumb:

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
Reaction score
Ok,

I put new really good strings on and tuned my guitar and also I pulled the strings to get the slack out of them, but when I tune it my tuner keeps saying its tuned then when I do it again it says its a bit sharp and flat!

Does anyone know what could be wrong?, should I put some pencil led in the nut slots?

If you need any more info tell me I dont wont u to get the wrong end of the stick. :laugh2:

Maybe Try Turning your Air Conditioning down, if it's cold at your place that will make it go sharp??? :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
....should I put some pencil led in the nut slots?....

You wouldn't put pencil 'led' in your car's engine, would you? Pencil 'led' is not a 'lubricant'. Use nut slot lube, or even a very small drop of clean motor oil will work.

(You guys and your 'pencil lead'....:rolleyes:)

Latest Threads