gibson strings

seanseanhd

Reaction score
been using ernie ball strings forever want something different any body use the gibson brite wires are they any good

Farquad

Reaction score
Not a brite wire fan, but I love their Les Paul Sigs and Vintage Reissue strings.

JM2112

Reaction score
Gibson Vintage Reissue strings. :thumb:

Got them on every one of my electrics.

twilt1973

Reaction score
I tried a few sets of the vintage les paul sets (the ones with the red thread over the wound end near the ball).

Although I LOVED the tone of them, they seemed to corrode VERY easily and and the (high)E's and B's would break at the bridge.

So either I got a few bad sets or they just simply lack longevity.

i have since returned to the tried-n-true D'Addarrio's and haven't looked back.

-Troy

fleahead

Reaction score
All made by D'Addario now. Cheaper if you just buy theirs.

jbash

Reaction score
Made by, but to Gibson's specs. They sound very different from D'addario proper strings..whether we are comparing pure nickel, or nps. Just like the Fender strings made by Dad or the Gretsch Chet Atkins (also made by dad).

As to the OP. I dig the britewires but not the VRs. The gibson pure nickel wounds have a much more noticable disparity in brightness of tone from wounds to plains than many other pure nickel string sets do. For pure nickel l like EB classics (hex core), and Gretsch Chet Atkins if I feel the need for round core.

Inside Guy

I am no longer @ Gibson
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
All made by D'Addario now. Cheaper if you just buy theirs.

Not true anymore. Look at the most recent packaging...that should give you a clue as to who is making them now.

Mr. Satchmo

Reaction score
I used to use Gibson vintage reissue strings for many years, and I did try the bright wires a few times and didn't really like them, the reissue strings got too expensive after a while so I went with Dunlop's Zakk Wylde 10 gauge with the heavy core on the low E and A, and they are the best strings I have used in a while, the only guitar tech I trust in town with all my les Paul's introduced me to them and they are perfect for me, I have used them for over 4 years and they are pretty affordable and last a while

Yes I do love Gibson strings but their local availability and price have left me using other stuff

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
I've never liked Gibson's electric strings but I do love their Masterbuilt acoustic strings.

kevinpaul

Reaction score
I have been using Ernie Ball pure nickel for a time. I have used Gibson strings and did not like them a bit. I change strings often, but not often enough for the Gibson wires. They took a big poop out in less than a week. They go dead, no more of them waves we crave.

93LPStudio

Reaction score
^ Curious too. Who?
I went to D'Addario's to get away from Gibsons - did I get away?

Nope they make them for Gibson but as stated to Gibson specs. I have been using Vintage reissues from D'Addario XL's and like them much better and I have no issues with tarnishing strings or breaking them.

old mark

Reaction score
I have been using Ernie Ball pure nickel for a time. I have used Gibson strings and did not like them a bit. I change strings often, but not often enough for the Gibson wires. They took a big poop out in less than a week. They go dead, no more of them waves we crave.

I like Gibson's Masterbilt acoustic strings, but Ernie Ball Slinky 10's are my long standing favorite...although I have some 9's and 11's as well...and Edrnie Ball Earthwood Acoustic strings are very good, too...maybe a bit more what I like than the Masterbilts...

stgreg

Reaction score
Nope they make them for Gibson but as stated to Gibson specs. I have been using Vintage reissues from D'Addario XL's and like them much better and I have no issues with tarnishing strings or breaking them.

I feel mislead.. :rolleyes:

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
So far PRS strings are my favorites, though pricey.

Gary

Reaction score
I like Gibson bright wires and have a set on my Epi ES-339 P90 Pro right now. I will gig it for the first time tonight. The downside for me with Gibson bright wires is that they lose tone faster than D'Addario or EB strings.

afjungemann

Reaction score
I use brite wires only. I love them. They have a really nice crisp tone and they feel really nice and slinky. I have tried quite a few string types but these are what I always settle on.

HEADKNOCKER

Banned
Reaction score
D'Addario please stop putting those different colors on your string BALLS..
Just Fugly, I like their strings & the ones they make for Gibson too!!
I said balls.. HaHa!! :D

boyscout

GAS study patient member
Reaction score
Look at the most recent packaging...that should give you a clue as to who is making them now.

And that would be who?

I'm gonna *guess* that Inside Guy is telling us Gibson strings are made by Ernie Ball... similar packaging. Maybe he can drop another hint; is that just Brite Wires or does it include Vintage Reissue strings?

I like the VRs a lot and haven't found similar affection for any EB string I've tried. I would not be surprised if Brite Wires are made by EB, but will be surprised if VRs are.

Of course "made by" doesn't necessarily mean same-string-different-package. Inside Guy, more hints please! :)

Latest Threads