Gibson standards 2002 50's neck model

russman

Reaction score
I was in my local guitar store yesterday, tried some models.. its a preety darn good "pre-owning-a-Gibson" experience. Tried some VOS, some slash and some weird customs as well. I have to get something within my capabilities.. and..

question: 1

Gibson standards 2002 50's neck model
Are they any good? or should i just get the new traditional.

"The 2002 Standard sports the smaller, vintage style headstock and plastic "keystone" tuner buttons and is available with a "fat," rounded 50's style neck or a "fast," slim taper 60's style neck." Quote from gibson..

Does this mean it has a smaller headstock as compared to the new 2008 standards or traditional?

question2:

Unfortunately, in my part of the country, Gibson is expensive compared to states. (after conversion +-)

Gibson standard 2002 model = about 2,495.75 USD
Gibson Classic (made in 2007) = 2,360.10 USD
Gibson standard 2008 = 3,034.41 USD

Please advice.

** btw, if price discussion is not allowed in this forum, please let me know. Thx

bluesjuke

Reaction score
russman, 2002 was a very good year for the Standard as well as the whole Gibson line in general.
The changes to the Standard line were QC'd closely and Gibson put their best foot foward. They were demonstrating what they could do and did a good job of it.

Tight tolerances and nice tops.

someguitarist

Reaction score
hey russman
im from singapore too!
where did you go to try out the guitars?

terence_tez

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yep.2002 is touted to be a good year.but as with all guitars,they can vary drastically.BTW,i'm singaporean too...

LPV

Reaction score
It would be good to be able to try them with your fingers and ears rather than everyone else's. Everyone is so different. My pick would unquestionably be the '08. IMHO, the better guitar.

russman

Reaction score
russman, 2002 was a very good year for the Standard as well as the whole Gibson line in general.
The changes to the Standard line were QC'd closely and Gibson put their best foot foward. They were demonstrating what they could do and did a good job of it.

Tight tolerances and nice tops.
Learn new stuf everyday, thats something nice to hear cuz i was thinking why did they want to put a tag stating its a 2002 model.

GeeJay

Reaction score
Mine is an 02 standard which I bought in August 02. I looked at a bunch of 'em in the US and the UK and all of the 2002 standards that I picked up were pretty well spot-on. They introduced a number of changes in 2002 which hinted at the more vintage Les Pauls. Some said at the time that they were the best production Les Pauls since the 50's.

So, likely to be a good guitar IMHO..

someguitarist

Reaction score
Thx everyone for advice..

i tried it @ swee lee, you got better place to recommend?
haha. swee lee is the only official gibson dealer here.
so their gibsons are overpriced
if u dont mind second hand guitar, try out guitar77 down at peninsula plazas, they do have some gibsons from time to time.
or check out the SOFT forum. the buy and sell section, good local dealers, which nice gibsons and good prices.

all the best looking for one man:thumb:

russman

Reaction score
Mine is an 02 standard which I bought in August 02. I looked at a bunch of 'em in the US and the UK and all of the 2002 standards that I picked up were pretty well spot-on. They introduced a number of changes in 2002 which hinted at the more vintage Les Pauls. Some said at the time that they were the best production Les Pauls since the 50's.

So, likely to be a good guitar IMHO..
cheers

russman

Reaction score
haha. swee lee is the only official gibson dealer here.
so their gibsons are overpriced
if u dont mind second hand guitar, try out guitar77 down at peninsula plazas, they do have some gibsons from time to time.
or check out the SOFT forum. the buy and sell section, good local dealers, which nice gibsons and good prices.

all the best looking for one man:thumb:
Trust me, i do it every single week, lurking around SOFT. Guitar 77 has one or 2 nice ones.. but not to my liking. Its my first gibson, so i prefer to have it new, just personal preferences.

thx.

Olli

Reaction score
Russman,

you cannot go wrong with a 2002 Standard.
I´ve owned one in the past and have played many of them. All were really nice guitars and if one was sub-par in the shop it was usually because of old, dead strings.

When compared to the new 2008 Standard, I really liked the 50s style neck better on mine. I tried the new standard and the neck was not for me.
Felt weird. Besides: the fact that all the electronics are now mounted on a pcb is a huge turnoff for me. Just a feeling and I know I´m not being reasonable but I don´t like the thought on that. When something gets screwed up in my guitars, I take a replacement part and a soldering iron and fix it - I doubt it´s that easy with a PCB.

Most of the 2002 standards I´ve had my hands on had really nice tops that don´t have to hide behind the newer model.

If you can find one - get it! You will love it

russman

Reaction score
Russman,

you cannot go wrong with a 2002 Standard.
I´ve owned one in the past and have played many of them. All were really nice guitars and if one was sub-par in the shop it was usually because of old, dead strings.

When compared to the new 2008 Standard, I really liked the 50s style neck better on mine. I tried the new standard and the neck was not for me.
Felt weird. Besides: the fact that all the electronics are now mounted on a pcb is a huge turnoff for me. Just a feeling and I know I´m not being reasonable but I don´t like the thought on that. When something gets screwed up in my guitars, I take a replacement part and a soldering iron and fix it - I doubt it´s that easy with a PCB.

Most of the 2002 standards I´ve had my hands on had really nice tops that don´t have to hide behind the newer model.

If you can find one - get it! You will love it
Yes, i tried one and the feeling is great, even compared it with the new slash tobacco burst. Still prefer the 2002, what really turns me off is.. the retail price compared to states. I guess thats the disadvantages i have to face living in this part of the world.

Olli

Reaction score
......, what really turns me off is.. the retail price compared to states. I guess thats the disadvantages i have to face living in this part of the world.

Dude are you kidding ?

The List price of a 59 Reissue is close to 10000 US $ over here in Germany and I still paid close to 6 Grand for mine. In the US you can get one for less than 4K.
Same thing with the 58 reissue here List price 5200$, street price 3300$.

Stop complaining dude - get the guitar and you will not be disappointed.:slash:

russman

Reaction score
Dude are you kidding ?

The List price of a 59 Reissue is close to 10000 US $ over here in Germany and I still paid close to 6 Grand for mine. In the US you can get one for less than 4K.
Same thing with the 58 reissue here List price 5200$, street price 3300$.

Stop complaining dude - get the guitar and you will not be disappointed.:slash:
Wow... speechless.. Ill make sure you'll get my first Gibson pictures right after i bring the baby back..

Thanks..

Blues Power

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have an 02 STd with a 50's neck that I bought new.

nothing wrong with the neck. its a little thicker then the 60's but not the tree trunks that the real 50's were. i originally wanted a 60's but couldnt find one in wine red so i went with the 50's. it took me all of a 1/2 hour to get used to and i never looked back or regretted it

the only prob i had was 2 scratchy pots and that happened within the first few months..

it was prob under warrenty but I didnt want to deal with the hassle so I replaced them on my own and its been fine ever since

the other thing and its more of a personal issue is the German nickle will tarnish and it takes a periodic polishing to keep it bright and new looking

the green keystone tuners are great and will hold it in tune for ever

TNT

Reaction score
The Gibson 2002 Standard was probably the BEST year ever for me...Why you ask>>>>>>>>[http://

GeeJay

Reaction score
Let me guess you won this competition?

If so, congrats smart lookin' Lester..

Latest Threads