Gibson Standard 50s ABR bridge string spacing

drsmoku

Reaction score
Hello there!

I just gave my new Gibson 50s Standard to luthier for string change + setup and he pointed me that string spacing on the bridge is not even (pic rel). Is it normal? On my second gibson (2017 std) with Nashville bridge string spacing is even.

Shall I call retailer for bridge change?

Best regards! :)

Attachments

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
The A and D strings saddles do look off center..... Maybe a request for a couple of saddles,.... a new bridge may seem a bit much. Just my opinion.

MSB

Reaction score
do you want them evenly spaced, or over the pole pieces?

MSB

Reaction score
which one is correct?
either one, imo. I used to be OCD about having them over the pole pieces, but then depending on the pickup, it changes the string spacing. In my old age now, I've decided I'd rather have all the saddles notched directly in the middle and pole piece relation be darned. Not sure if that's correct, but it seems to work for me. YMMV

mudface

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have never noticed until this pic of the new ABR that there are nylon washers under the screw heads :hmm:

drsmoku

Reaction score
Question is whether uneven spacing (considering strings go over pickup poles) influences playing?

mudface

Premium Member
Reaction score
For chording and to some extent scales would be compromised with uneven spacing. Especially noticeable when changing instruments with even spacing. If it was your only instrument i would believe that it could be adjusted to. But screw that,... it is really a simple fix,.... i would fix it.

This is one of the reasons we have adjustable pole pieces,.... we can adjust for volume of each string even if the string isn't exactly centered over the pole piece. The magnetic field coming off the pole is rather erratic,.... spread out and not JUST straight up from the screw head. You have a little wiggle room. ;)

drsmoku

Reaction score
For chording and to some extent scales would be compromised with uneven spacing. Especially noticeable when changing instruments with even spacing. If it was your only instrument i would believe that it could be adjusted to. But screw that,... it is really a simple fix,.... i would fix it.

This is one of the reasons we have adjustable pole pieces,.... we can adjust for volume of each string even if the string isn't exactly centered over the pole piece. The magnetic field coming off the pole is rather erratic,.... spread out and not JUST straight up from the screw head. You have a little wiggle room. ;)
Really appreciate Your answer! :)

Just talked to luthier we will fix this :)

Frozen Rat

Premium Member
Reaction score
I just gave my new Gibson 50s Standard to luthier for string change + setup and he pointed me that string spacing on the bridge is not even (pic rel). Is it normal? On my second gibson (2017 std) with Nashville bridge string spacing is even.
Keep the ABR-1 and have your luthier put in new saddle inserts and file them down to the right spacing. I had an R8 at the beginning of the year that I kept flubbing the G string for some reason, drove me nuts, until I looked at the bridge and whoa, that was it, the spacing was all jacked. I tried the trick of moving the saddle inserts around but couldn't quite swing the right spacing. I ordered up a set of blanks and filed them myself. Problem solved. That wasn't the only ABR-1 bridge I saw with that problem. Weird. You'd think a Historic would have better QC. But hey, it's a Gibson, that kind of silliness prevails sometimes.

Jewel the Sapphire

Reaction score
Fix it or replace it, the string spacing should be consistant.. Fingerstyle on that would make you notice quick

jstarr823

Reaction score
Personally, I’d just order a pre-notched bridge and swap it during a string change. No need to involve a luthier.

ACEit

Reaction score
when I bought my trad 17 the only explanation for the bridge spacing was that this man was working at gibson.

Marty_Feldman_3.jpg

NONE of the saddles slots were centered ... and by far.

even the covers on the cavities are all misplaced...

for the covers I don't care... for the bridge I bought a new one ( no wire ) and I made the slots myself