Gibson Slash Les Paul Standard Limited 4 Album Edition

jbash

Reaction score
I AM a Slash disciple, he’s the reason I play guitar, but honestly I’m kind of over it. I listened to the new album today and while it’s totally adequate, that’s about all it’s got going for it.

Guns are at the stones point now (not comparing bands, just draw power) take to the stadiums, play the hits, and get out of the way. I wouldn’t even pay to see the conspirators at this point.
I am so NOT a Slash disciple that I just realized from your post that this "4" thing is a brand new album. I thought this was some old album and some old guitar that was very popular and so they decided to do it next- I had no idea it was an new album and design. I just figured with the red guitars he has had previous...it was one of those.

On occasion I'll give him a listen on the yootoobz if he pops up in my feed, and of course I have a few select songs from GnR that I'll always crank up (Rocket Queen, YCBM)- I think he's only gotten better as he has aged (sobriety helped alot, I'm sure) , but I'm older and my influences are mainly the same generation/s of guitarists that influenced him- Perry, Schenker, Beck, Page, etc.

Lineosight

Reaction score
Major differences
At the time they were introduced they were the only standards available with a AAA top (now there are special runs of these AAA tops available in certain colors for places like Sweetwater/AMS, etc)

They have the Slash/DiCola designed "Slashbucker" pickups (now called "Custom Burstbucker A2" due to issues with Seymour Duncan). A hybrid design of Burstbuckers and the Slash A2 Pro Duncan design (and far better than the Duncan set, AFAIC). Not available on any other guitar.

Exclusive finishes/aesthetics (obviously).

Schaller Straplocks installed at the factory (arguably minor, but IME the Gibson button screws are much larger diameter, and it's a PITA to refill and install again, so this is a big plus for me)

When they first surfaced at the beginning of 2020- Most were in the 9 pounds and under range, and they really were using some amazing tops. Now the weights have gone up 1/2-3/4 pound on average, and tops across all Gibsons have dropped in quality on average. There are still great tops and sub 9Lbers out there but they are harder to come by.

The neck shape is closer to the custom shop historic R9s, whereas the "50s profiles" on 50s Standards and Trads of the past tend to have more shoulder- It's subtle but for me made a big difference from my 2014 Trad which is a big beefy approaching R8 type neck.

Minor stuff-
Skully thing on back of neck (arguably major)
Pickguard in the case, not installed (which some see as a plus, not me, pickguard on kinda guy)- argue either way.
Slash TRC or plain TRC included
Slash picks
Ernie Ball Paradigm 10-46 installed from factory

As for the Epiphone version- I don't pay much attention to Epiphone, maybe someone else can provide the details if Sweetwater or whatever doesn't have them listed.
Awesome, thank you! So his guitars are based off a 50s model?

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
... I just realized from your post that this "4" thing is a brand new album. I thought this was some old album and some old guitar that was very popular ...
This is Slash's 4th album with the Conspirators (i.e., Myles Kennedy on vocals), hence the "4". Slash's music is always very good, and Myles is a very talented singer. But ... I really don't like Myles' voice. As good as he is, his voice reminds me of Katherine Hepburn, and I can't get by it. To that point, I really like Slash's first 1995 solo album (It's Five O'Clock Somewhere). I saw him at the Fillmore-West that tour also. He killed.

Slash -- new album "4":

wildhawk1

Reaction score
It’s all getting to be a bit much.

To the point that Custom Shop, Murphy Lab, Signature, yada yada is nothing special IMHO.

Gibson won't release production numbers for a reason.

How much "custom" or "lab" is there in something that's mass produced by the thousands every year?

Sure, they're pretty to look at but I'd rather see an old Studio that's been beat to hell at a thousand watering holes instead of yet another piece of art destined for the closet.

Credit to PRS for the marketing madness. He recognized there's a huge number of purveyors willing to pay a large premium for museum instead of player instruments.

All hail the ten top. :bowdown

Reactions: Who

wildhawk1

Reaction score

a65f08293f45c4169675a69eeb311a37.jpg

murmel

Reaction score
I like it
Major differences
At the time they were introduced they were the only standards available with a AAA top (now there are special runs of these AAA tops available in certain colors for places like Sweetwater/AMS, etc)

They have the Slash/DiCola designed "Slashbucker" pickups (now called "Custom Burstbucker A2" due to issues with Seymour Duncan). A hybrid design of Burstbuckers and the Slash A2 Pro Duncan design (and far better than the Duncan set, AFAIC). Not available on any other guitar.

Exclusive finishes/aesthetics (obviously).

Schaller Straplocks installed at the factory (arguably minor, but IME the Gibson button screws are much larger diameter, and it's a PITA to refill and install again, so this is a big plus for me)

When they first surfaced at the beginning of 2020- Most were in the 9 pounds and under range, and they really were using some amazing tops. Now the weights have gone up 1/2-3/4 pound on average, and tops across all Gibsons have dropped in quality on average. There are still great tops and sub 9Lbers out there but they are harder to come by.

The neck shape is closer to the custom shop historic R9s, whereas the "50s profiles" on 50s Standards and Trads of the past tend to have more shoulder- It's subtle but for me made a big difference from my 2014 Trad which is a big beefy approaching R8 type neck.

Minor stuff-
Skully thing on back of neck (arguably major)
Pickguard in the case, not installed (which some see as a plus, not me, pickguard on kinda guy)- argue either way.
Slash TRC or plain TRC included
Slash picks
Ernie Ball Paradigm 10-46 installed from factory

As for the Epiphone version- I don't pay much attention to Epiphone, maybe someone else can provide the details if Sweetwater or whatever doesn't have them listed.
Thank you, great summary. Do you know if they have long or short neck tenon? If I remember correctly all standards got back to long tenons a few years ago, is it still like that?

jbash

Reaction score
I like it

Thank you, great summary. Do you know if they have long or short neck tenon? If I remember correctly all standards got back to long tenons a few years ago, is it still like that?
Short. Only Historic reissue/ Custom shop Gibsons have long tenons. USA production models are short tenon.

Some of the Epiphones have long tenons too, not sure if the Slash models do.

Last edited:

Lineosight

Reaction score
Short. Only Historic reissue/ Custom shop Gibsons have long tenons. USA production models are short tenon.

Some of the Epiphones have long tenons too, not sure if the Slash models do.
My son's Epiphone 2020 50's (inspired by Gibson) and my Epiphone Lazarus both have long tenons.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
As someone who doesn't really understand the Slash models (Epiphone or Gibson) can someone tell me what is the difference? I bought the Joe Bonamassa Lazarus, largely because I've wanted a '59 epiphone since they were announced, but they were never available locally, and I liked the top. But Slash's guitars... I'm not clear what's different verses other Les Pauls (other than his name).

I will say, and I have no idea where I got the bias, but every time I see a "Slash" branded model listed I get a feeling like "ooohhh, Sears has paid to celebrity endorse another product" feeling... again, I have no idea why it feels that way. The video above was the first time I've ever heard one.

Just curious if someone can educate a poor uninitiated member...
but...its...slash.i wouldnt pay extra for one either,but i guess theres those that do

gball

Reaction score
This is Slash's 4th album with the Conspirators (i.e., Myles Kennedy on vocals), hence the "4". Slash's music is always very good, and Myles is a very talented singer. But ... I really don't like Myles' voice. As good as he is, his voice reminds me of Katherine Hepburn, and I can't get by it. To that point, I really like Slash's first 1995 solo album (It's Five O'Clock Somewhere). I saw him at the Fillmore-West that tour also. He killed.

Slash -- new album "4":

Somehow, I don't like his voice with Slash but I really do like it with Alter Bridge (a band I prefer immensely to Slash/Conspirators anyway).

Reactions: Who

NINFNM

Reaction score
Here another that can not stand Miles voice.
Although I was a big slash fan almost 30 years ago, and he's the reason for me playing guitar and LPs, never found his music out of GNR very exciting.
Regarding this guitar, looks very cool, but I would have sprayed yellow under that red, otherwise it will fade in a ugly way.
You can see an example of what I' saying in the guitar center of sunset boulevard.
They display a faded snakepit les paul that looks wrong.

mjross

Reaction score
Talk about cashing in, damn! Looks like Gibson is going to put out an Edition of every guitar this guy ever touched. Also, I’m getting a little concerned about what Gibson considers AAA flame any more, just not feeling it!

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I am so NOT a Slash disciple that I just realized from your post that this "4" thing is a brand new album. I thought this was some old album and some old guitar that was very popular and so they decided to do it next- I had no idea it was an new album and design. I just figured with the red guitars he has had previous...it was one of those.

On occasion I'll give him a listen on the yootoobz if he pops up in my feed, and of course I have a few select songs from GnR that I'll always crank up (Rocket Queen, YCBM)- I think he's only gotten better as he has aged (sobriety helped alot, I'm sure) , but I'm older and my influences are mainly the same generation/s of guitarists that influenced him- Perry, Schenker, Beck, Page, etc.

Yeah, new album. Don’t get me wrong, the original guns stuff is some of my all time favorite music. Even his earlier solo stuff is tasty. That’s why I made the stones comparison. Let it Bleed and Exile get played at least weekly in my house. I couldn’t tell you an album they made in the last 30 years.

BDW60

Reaction score
To the point that Custom Shop, Murphy Lab, Signature, yada yada is nothing special IMHO.

Gibson won't release production numbers for a reason.

How much "custom" or "lab" is there in something that's mass produced by the thousands every year?

Sure, they're pretty to look at but I'd rather see an old Studio that's been beat to hell at a thousand watering holes instead of yet another piece of art destined for the closet.

Credit to PRS for the marketing madness. He recognized there's a huge number of purveyors willing to pay a large premium for museum instead of player instruments.

All hail the ten top. :bowdown

I dunno about all that. Really talking mostly about Slash and this money grab. Also, I have 2018 10 top 594 that is anything but precious. It’s a kick a$$ humbucker guitar that is probably the best overall guitar I’ve ever owned. It’s that good.

When you take it to the private stock level, or the 8-10K custom shop LP level, it’s specific marketing to a specific, well heeled demographic. But it’s like any other luxury item. I would never pay big money for a watch, for example. Don’t understand it. Would I ever pay 10K for a guitar? Nope. That’s just me.

And the market is rife with good quality, less expensive, “players.” Anybody can get whatever they want or can afford. Which is cool with me.

Latest Threads