Gibson Slash Les Paul Standard Limited 4 Album Edition

Subterfuge

Reaction score
as someone who owns a different Slash "Limited Edition" ... A) it is just another guitar, same as any other B) this time next year, or sooner, it will be long forgotten .. don't buy into the marketing hype ... it's all BS designed solely to make money

jbash

Reaction score
As a design, I think the Slash collection is fantastic. Mine and every one I've handled that wasn't mine has a little something "extra" compared to the standard 50s/60s.

They have stated from day one there would be limited finishes to go along with the non limited like Amber, and November.

Personally, I think this new one is fuggly (color is fine, the "4" is gaudy)

P.S. Not a Slash disciple-respect him and his impact, not a big fan of his playing/music.

Last edited:

musicmaniac

Reaction score
as someone who owns a different Slash "Limited Edition" ... A) it is just another guitar, same as any other B) this time next year, or sooner, it will be long forgotten .. don't buy into the marketing hype ... it's all BS designed solely to make money
I agree a 100%.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Don't care.

The only reason I'd pay a premium for a name association guitar would be flipping for a profit.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
You realize of course this whole forum would not exist if there was no name association, right? Les Paul is the original sig model and we are all sheep. :thumbs:

Good point... kinda.

Back in the day it would of been I want a guitar like Les Paul plays.

Today it's more of a I want a guitar designed by Les Paul that Gibson builds.

If Gibson sold the Les Paul name to company x then sales would plummet.

Murdock33

Reaction score
Good point... kinda.

Back in the day it would of been I want a guitar like Les Paul plays.

Today it's more of a I want a guitar designed by Les Paul that Gibson builds.

If Gibson sold the Les Paul name to company x then sales would plummet.
I wonder if sales of the Les paul shaped guitars made by Gibson would drop if tomorrow it was a Fender or other brand Les Paul. I don’t think the Les Paul name matters anymore. There are so many choices with similar shapes that it wouldn’t affect Gibson that much. Who knows. Interesting thought.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I like the new finish a lot and price is only $300 more than the regular Slash Les Pauls. But I never liked the chunkier neck on his signature model, I’d prob pass on it.

Too bad only 250 are being made…prob gonna get sold out in days and listed for double the price on Reverb later this week.

TheX

wo0t
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought this a couple weeks ago. Don't need the *4* sticker on it.

1644591100807.png

Lineosight

Reaction score
As someone who doesn't really understand the Slash models (Epiphone or Gibson) can someone tell me what is the difference? I bought the Joe Bonamassa Lazarus, largely because I've wanted a '59 epiphone since they were announced, but they were never available locally, and I liked the top. But Slash's guitars... I'm not clear what's different verses other Les Pauls (other than his name).

I will say, and I have no idea where I got the bias, but every time I see a "Slash" branded model listed I get a feeling like "ooohhh, Sears has paid to celebrity endorse another product" feeling... again, I have no idea why it feels that way. The video above was the first time I've ever heard one.

Just curious if someone can educate a poor uninitiated member...

Torshalla

Reaction score
It s sold out everywhere i looked.
I contacted a few dealers in europe a few weeks ago and they already had sold the few they could get…

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
P.S. Not a Slash disciple-respect him and his impact, not a big fan of his playing/music.

I AM a Slash disciple, he’s the reason I play guitar, but honestly I’m kind of over it. I listened to the new album today and while it’s totally adequate, that’s about all it’s got going for it.

Guns are at the stones point now (not comparing bands, just draw power) take to the stadiums, play the hits, and get out of the way. I wouldn’t even pay to see the conspirators at this point.

jbash

Reaction score
As someone who doesn't really understand the Slash models (Epiphone or Gibson) can someone tell me what is the difference?

Major differences
At the time they were introduced they were the only standards available with a AAA top (now there are special runs of these AAA tops available in certain colors for places like Sweetwater/AMS, etc)

They have the Slash/DiCola designed "Slashbucker" pickups (now called "Custom Burstbucker A2" due to issues with Seymour Duncan). A hybrid design of Burstbuckers and the Slash A2 Pro Duncan design (and far better than the Duncan set, AFAIC). Not available on any other guitar.

Exclusive finishes/aesthetics (obviously).

Schaller Straplocks installed at the factory (arguably minor, but IME the Gibson button screws are much larger diameter, and it's a PITA to refill and install again, so this is a big plus for me)

When they first surfaced at the beginning of 2020- Most were in the 9 pounds and under range, and they really were using some amazing tops. Now the weights have gone up 1/2-3/4 pound on average, and tops across all Gibsons have dropped in quality on average. There are still great tops and sub 9Lbers out there but they are harder to come by.

The neck shape is closer to the custom shop historic R9s, whereas the "50s profiles" on 50s Standards and Trads of the past tend to have more shoulder- It's subtle but for me made a big difference from my 2014 Trad which is a big beefy approaching R8 type neck.

Minor stuff-
Skully thing on back of neck (arguably major)
Pickguard in the case, not installed (which some see as a plus, not me, pickguard on kinda guy)- argue either way.
Slash TRC or plain TRC included
Slash picks
Ernie Ball Paradigm 10-46 installed from factory

As for the Epiphone version- I don't pay much attention to Epiphone, maybe someone else can provide the details if Sweetwater or whatever doesn't have them listed.

Last edited:

Latest Threads