Gibson Slash Guitars as Investments

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
In 1970, the list price on a Les Paul Custom was about $575. It's not entirely uncommon to see really nice examples sell for 10 times that amount ($5700). When you calculate for inflation, that $575 is about $3800 in 2019 money. That same money ($575) invested in 1970 with an 8% annual return would have about $300,000 in your pocket today.

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nope, they will not be worth much more or less than the current Gibson Les Paul's are selling for in the future, if Gibson is still selling guitars. Only the older ones from Original Era are worth anything, which is what they are trying to remake now and are always trying to remake reissues and such. We were already supposed to be having Flying Cars by now which was sort of predicted in the 70's and 80's, so who knows what life will be like in 50 years and what people will be playing for instruments.

Any new Gibson you purchase right now as an investment is not a good investment for making money. It is only a good investment if you just plan to play it and enjoy it for as long as you can. You will be able to get back some of your investment, but most likely will not make a profit based on inflation and such.
I'm not saying they be worth the equivalent to the original bursts. They won't be worthless either. If you calculate inflation, your profit margins in 50s years will be weak, but they certainly won't be worthless.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Correct, they won't be worthless, even with a cracked neck that was fixed they won't be worthless. haha

rjwilson37

Reaction score
In 1970, the list price on a Les Paul Custom was about $575. It's not entirely uncommon to see really nice examples sell for 10 times that amount ($5700). When you calculate for inflation, that $575 is about $3800 in 2019 money. That same money ($575) invested in 1970 with an 8% annual return would have about $300,000 in your pocket today.
I think 1970's Les Paul Customs sell today for around $2800-$3500 for the most part depending on there condition, which is about right on what you stated above about inflation. I guess you could consider that a profit, but you had to keep the guitar in really good condition for 50-60 years and store it. Storage for a guitar in a guitar store, they would consider that lost money if they had guitars in storage for 50-60 years taking up space. They make more money the more stock they move through inventory.

Last edited:

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think 1970's Les Paul Customs sell today for around $2800-$3500 for the most part depending on there condition, which is about right on what you stated above about inflation. I guess you could consider that a profit, but you had to keep the guitar in really good condition for 50-60 years and store it. Storage for a guitar in a guitar store, they would consider that lost money if they had guitars in storage for 50-60 years taking up space. They make more money the more stock they move through the store.
I was considering an actual 1970 in near mint condition. Those typically sell for a bit more than $3500. But still, not a great investment by any means.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Reaction score
I bought my 1978 CSB Custom for $450 in 1980,.... they were around $650 to $700 in 1978 at retail..... I could maybe get $2200 to $2500 to be fair.... decent unbroken condition with some normal wear in its original as when I bought it state.....

41 years old it has not been a good investment. If it was a white 1974 Custom on the other hand it would be a great deal better. And we know why.

It would take a player of great awesomeness to give a particular model its interest. Like the 1979 silver burst Customs that has been on everyone’s radar.

Slash will need another player to make his sig models popular,..... more than Slash himself.
Just my guess.

Les Paul needed help to make his signature model popular.....

Last edited:

wmachine

Reaction score
I tell everyone who “collects” guitars...
DO NOT USE THEM AS AN INVESTMENT..
You’d be better off putting your money into the fireplace....

-Chris
Really? So none of them will be worth any more than ashes? That's hardly realist., to say it nicely.

I generally agree not to buy for investment, but that's not to say that "none" will "ever" be worth more. Once again, generalizations are not entirely true. But I also think picking one that could appreciate would only be a matter of luck.

But one "clue" I see here is that if any particular model is selling for a whole lot more because it is a signature model, it is less likely to have more value in the future than if it has less of a premium price now.

LPCM&BFG

Reaction score
It is only a good investment so long as somewhere down the road you can find someone willing to pay more for it. Ie: there is no "sure thing" investment.

This is akin to people asking if buying a Rolex as an investment is a good idea. The response is: no one knows. Seeing as Rolex makes 1 million of the things per year, and that China may be heading towards an economic slump, and the recent unrest in HK having seriously impacted tourism to HK (and hence Swiss watch exports to HK), the prices for a Rolex may start to nose-dive as more become available in the West, or maybe it'll all blow over and be business as usual.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
My Yellow Widow Burst Custom is a 1 of 10 guitar. Will it be worth something some day, only if some famous player actually has 1 of the 10 and he becomes super duper big and he says that this guitar was the key to his magical tone and playing. Well... there are actually 50 guitars, 10 of each color for these 2017 Widow Bursts.

Yep.... never going to happen. haha

But... I love this guitar, it is definitely magical to me as well as my Les Paul Studio HP. Both these are 2017's which I think was a good year for Gibson quality.

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Member
Reaction score
Seeing the price of some these Slash signature guitars makes me wonder if these guitars are good investment. I love Slash and have one of the signed Anaconda USA models. I've considered buying one of the brazillian dream models but they are very expensive. How do you think the value would hold for these?
The simple answer it no, it`s not a good investment if you want to make money out of it.

That said, if you buy guitars and take care of them they will most likley not loose any great value over decades so you can enjoy them and still leave something "worthfull" to you kids ... because one never sells guitars ;)

Slash Rothstein

Reaction score
Every Slash USA sig sans the Anaconda is in my collection, let me throw my .02 in.

Purchased all of them around the time of their respective releases.

The 2008 Tobacco Burst purchased for around retail ($2600ish) I see one on Reverb right now for $2800 and one $3197 + over $100 shipping.

2008 Goldtop: Purchased sub $2K (remember haggling with GC vividly), retail was $2199. Reverb: $4,799 and 2 are listed at $5k +

2010 AFD: I believe retail was $2849, received a discount from GC but can’t remember exactly. Reverb: $4399, $4799, and $5K +. Lower production #s.

2013 Rosso Corsa from Dave’s for sub $2K. Reverb: player grade for $2200, couple mid $2K up to $3K

2013 Vermillion: Sweetwater $2200. Reverb: $3600, $3700, and $4K +

These are listing prices on reverb that I glanced at, not sold listings nor extensively researched but I think it gives you an idea.

I did not buy these as investments, they are all KILLER instruments. I’m especially attached to the 2008 models. The Slash neck profile (more of a rounded 60’s neck) is by far the most comfortable to play.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
^ That's really interesting. I wonder if they get those numbers for the guitars their selling.....

NoRythm_LP

Reaction score
Yeah, well, I had Slash A #2 and sent it back... Biggest goat screw of a guitar purchase ever...

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
Really? So none of them will be worth any more than ashes? That's hardly realist., to say it nicely.

I generally agree not to buy for investment, but that's not to say that "none" will "ever" be worth more. Once again, generalizations are not entirely true. But I also think picking one that could appreciate would only be a matter of luck.

But one "clue" I see here is that if any particular model is selling for a whole lot more because it is a signature model, it is less likely to have more value in the future than if it has less of a premium price now.
fair enough....
I wouldn’t sell a guitar from my collection for any price...
As u said, they are definitely not worthless but, to me, they are priceless...
every single one of them

-Chris

ArchEtech

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think Slash guitars are as likely to go way up in value as a garaged Dodge Hellcat.

moreles

Reaction score
There's the overall market and then there are fads and short term trends within the market. When GnR no longer records or tours, and that fan base ages out, the Slash LPs will have little added value. Why would they? It's only scarce old bursts that have mega-value, and that's due to originality and scarcity, and even so is not guaranteed going forward. So, guitars mostly appreciate a bit if they're good, clean specimens of popular models, or else become simply used, and perhaps even relatively unwanted. To be honest, most (some acoustics excepted) are simply not special; they're production line items after all. I don't know how to conceive what the value of boutique instruments will be in the future, but consider the general rule that what one individual purchases as precious to them is very unlikely to be seen the same way by later buyers. I may be an oddball, but I've never liked the guitar "market" which obsesses on scarcity, "limited editions," "reissues," special runs, minor model changes, etc. Sometimes I think people are talking about Pokemon cards. I live in the world of functionality, use, beauty, etc in the present. I realize that in this huge world, lots of different systems of valuing have their adherents.

jw3571

Reaction score
I've also wondered what happens if he dies, you could see a spike?

wmachine

Reaction score
.........I may be an oddball, but I've never liked the guitar "market" which obsesses on scarcity, "limited editions," "reissues," special runs, minor model changes, etc. ........
I don't think it is the market, it is the manufacturers trying to sell more. Plain and simple. Trying to create a market. Far from elusive to guitars. Cars and all kinds of consumer products have their limited editions.

TorzJohnson

Reaction score
There's no point in asking if a guitar is going to skyrocket in value. Nobody knows. And if this information was somehow known, wouldn't everybody immediately buy them all up? Wouldn't the manufacturer start producing more and more of them because they're in such demand? Now you and 50,000 other people all have the same prized collectors item. Not exactly fertile ground for a financial windfall.

bad565ss

Reaction score
I lost my ass on a Vermillion. Beautiful guitar. I paid around $2800 for it brand new.
One problem. I just never could bond with it.
I think I ended up getting $1300 and a USA
Special Run Strat for it her on the forum.
20 years from now who knows. I think they'll gain in value but to what extent who can say.
FB_IMG_1545570463274.jpg