Gibson Slash Guitars as Investments

jw3571

Reaction score
Seeing the price of some these Slash signature guitars makes me wonder if these guitars are good investment. I love Slash and have one of the signed Anaconda USA models. I've considered buying one of the brazillian dream models but they are very expensive. How do you think the value would hold for these?

moreles

Reaction score
I don't think many current guitars will prove to be "investments" at all. I would think that the number of Slash fans has already peaked and doubt if his signature guitars, or those of most other players, will appreciate over time. This has nothing to do with the quality of the guitars or Slash as a musician -- it's just a matter of thinking about the numbers of players and fans 10 years from now for whom the Slash association would command even more $$$ than the already inflated prices of those guitars. I just don't see it. I expect LPs in general to decline in value. I love them, but they sure look more and more dated. They're like wooden tennis racquets. If I'm a young player, I'm not going with a LP.

dodona

Reaction score
me fully agree to moreles. No "investments" at all .

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
They're marketing to the same people you want to down the road....only difference is the market is at it's peak now. Down the road not so many will care about young Slash, methinks.:slash:

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it’s safe to say that 50-60 years from now, most of these Gibson will be worth a fair amount. Some more than others. I think the Slash guitars will be there, albeit a bit polarizing due to his “logo” on the headstock. I don’t doubt that in 50 years, some of these Traditionals will be valued higher than most other Nashville built LPs, simply due to the specs. No push/pull controls, no weight relief, etc.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Reaction score
50 to 60 years i will be dead,...... actually 25 years would be a reach.

It is hard to predict what will have value,..... Will the instrument (the electric guitar) still have value as major part of popular music in the future?,... more importantly as to the OPs question,.... is Slash's music an important part?,..... if it YES to any of those i would assume that they would increase in value.

If you enjoy collecting for the purpose of playing you will do just fine,... and if they grow in value that is icing on the cake.

But for investment alone,.... be prepared for a loss,.... or to break even. Anything more than that is a win.

My best opinion,..... not worth much. ;)

dro

Reaction score
In the 70's I used to drool over a Les Paul Artisan in local store window. Price was $700. US I thought to myself there's no way I'll ever be able to pay that kind of money for a guitar. I hope the ones I have now will bring some money to my kids one day. But who can predict? All I know is, the ones I have kept have really great tone. And while we always want more, I can cover whatever I need with what I've got.

mudface

Reaction score
And I don't own a Desert Star so I guess I have no class. But I'll always have SpockView attachment 423980
:rofl:Don't feel bad,... we can't all have class,.... Just ask @LtDave32

None of us can have any class or cake,.... but a DSG might get you a little closer. ;)

*Note... it's a signature that is attached to each post. Nothing personal :p

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Its an investment in your personal enjoyment! There are lots of Slash lps so no it wont put your grandkids through college:slash:

Jay76

Reaction score
Seeing the price of some these Slash signature guitars makes me wonder if these guitars are good investment. I love Slash and have one of the signed Anaconda USA models. I've considered buying one of the brazillian dream models but they are very expensive. How do you think the value would hold for these?
Bought my Vermillion for £1150 second hand in 2014. Its worth over 2k now so yeh.. I would say they are an investment. Bloody lovely guitars. Really special. The only other guitar I felt like that about was a top of the line PRS that was over 3.5k. That speechless feeling as you open the case. Thing is.. they play and sound as good as they look.

mudface

Reaction score
Bought my Vermillion for £1150 second hand in 2014. Its worth over 2k now so yeh.. I would say they are an investment. Bloody lovely guitars. Really special. The only other guitar I felt like that about was a top of the line PRS that was over 3.5k. That speechless feeling as you open the case. Thing is.. they play and sound as good as they look.
But weren't they over 2k brand new?

evilgrin

Reaction score
Not the new ones, old ones are pretty sweet, try and find a slash's snakepit LP

Pete M

Reaction score
I think there is an argument for grabbing a signed and aged sig model at RRP and trying to make money off of it later down the track. Most of the signed and aged things seem to go up in value to a point then there are always the ones on reverb where people put them up for a ridiculous price. It depends a lot on who's sig model it is and the specs.

I personally think Slash has had way too many sig models for anything but the Appetite LP to be worth anything in future. I can't see then value in that red one or Brazilian wet-dream or whatever it is called. They are just guitars. Same with Jimmy Page's 90's Standard sig or his Custom, or even #2. They are just guitars. His #1 LP or the double neck - those are guitars that everyone wants. I'd say the same for Billy Gibbons. 99% of people couldn't care less about any of his signature models apart from Pearly Gates.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I think it’s safe to say that 50-60 years from now, most of these Gibson will be worth a fair amount. Some more than others. I think the Slash guitars will be there, albeit a bit polarizing due to his “logo” on the headstock. I don’t doubt that in 50 years, some of these Traditionals will be valued higher than most other Nashville built LPs, simply due to the specs. No push/pull controls, no weight relief, etc.
Nope, they will not be worth much more or less than the current Gibson Les Paul's are selling for in the future, if Gibson is still selling guitars. Only the older ones from Original Era are worth anything, which is what they are trying to remake now and are always trying to remake reissues and such. We were already supposed to be having Flying Cars by now which was sort of predicted in the 70's and 80's, so who knows what life will be like in 50 years and what people will be playing for instruments.

Any new Gibson you purchase right now as an investment is not a good investment for making money. It is only a good investment if you just plan to play it and enjoy it for as long as you can. You will be able to get back some of your investment, but most likely will not make a profit based on inflation and such.

Latest Threads