Gibson Slash 2021 Left handed - QC blunder?

mjross

Reaction score
I’m getting some whisker buckers and Doyle coils coming in. I will try throbaks if either does not fit the bill
Never tried either of those! I don’t think you can go wrong with Throbaks. They really do sound good! I also have another Les Paul with the PG Throbaks and they really sound good too.

Cory

Reaction score
Thanks all so far, I’m pretty sure I’ll make the decision to keep it to be honest as if I order another one it’ll probably have something else undesirable on it. Just chalk it up to ‘one of those things’ and maybe look at a pro touch up
Based off of what you said in terms of playability, etc. I’d keep it for sure - but, you should get Gibson involved in terms of the repair and/or for a partial refund - I’d let them figure out how to fix it - if you take it to someone to fix and they mess it up (without getting Gibson involved) you’ll be SOL - like many have mentioned though, a super easy fix for someone that knows what they’re doing - nitro blends into itself very nicely - either way, good luck - super nice looking guitar too by the way

kephers

Reaction score
I guess you could look at it as free relicing. Sandpaper 1000# could take care of it. Shame they didn't catch it before it went out the door. Maybe you could see if the dealer could fix it for free. If she sounds good, eventually you'll be putting wear and tear on her and good tone is hard to find...

zdoggie

Reaction score
you seem to very happy with everything else I agree that should not of happened but as stated before its hard to find tone
IMHO you got lucky in the tone department this is another flaw in gibsons QC I love all of my gibsons and I think I've got
two that are flawless keep it and enjoy

zdog

cutaway

Reaction score
From what you said, I would keep it but demand some money back. All the time waiting and that is a significant blemish.

timberterra

Reaction score
Wow some great lefties in this thread for sure.

This one is probably one of the best Gibson USA tops I've ever seen, ever. Way better than a lot of R9s I've seen. Just loads of figure and character.
Agreed. After I saw that one I went searching for a lefty like it. To no avail. It is magnificent

Iloveguitars

Reaction score
Looks like the clear is chipping off already. Sometimes the clear over the binding and sometimes they don’t. Over time, this would happen to any guitar, but you shouldn’t have to worry about it for some years if taken care of. Most always, you’ll see chippy looking marks in the binding from getting shaved down at the factory and (unfortunately) that is normal. Yours though...NOT normal. End of the day, it’s an instrument and how it plays and feels and makes you feel and play is what should matter most. I’d go for a partial reimbursement of no less than 10%

Archtopanimal

Reaction score
" However it’s THAT good a guitar that id rather keep it as I know I’d be chasing a ghost tonally, visually and playability wise if it went. " So why are you even bothering folk with this thread ?

Deadletteroffice

Reaction score
I've seen similar on pretty much every Gibson I've owned ever. Chatter marks in the binding on the neck around the fretboard, totally common in my experience. Same with on the top of the binding where the rosewood meets the binding after the lacquer ends.

shickma0

Reaction score
I've seen similar on pretty much every Gibson I've owned ever. Chatter marks in the binding on the neck around the fretboard, totally common in my experience. Same with on the top of the binding where the rosewood meets the binding after the lacquer ends.
Out of the last 5 Gibsons I’ve owned, 4 of them have had a similar issue on the neck binding, including on my #1. Seems pretty common, not sure why they don’t do something to fix it though

Injector

Reaction score
I could totally live with that. My R7 has a worse QC fault and I lived with that too. Honestly, your fault is quite trivial and easily fixable. She looks a beauty!

mjross

Reaction score
Wow some great lefties in this thread for sure.

This one is probably one of the best Gibson USA tops I've ever seen, ever. Way better than a lot of R9s I've seen. Just loads of figure and character.
Is pretty damn nice!

rfrizz

Reaction score
I would email Gibson and ask them if this is the type of craftsmanship that you should expect from them. Ask them how does a made to order guitar leave the factory like that?

Me personally I would return it since the price you paid and that it was custom made for you. FWIW even if it was on a less expensive model, I would return it.
I wouldn't accept this crapmanship on the $1200 tributes Gibson is selling, and they aren't from the custom shop!

bgrizz

Reaction score
If it were me I would be a little bummed for a few days but chalk it up to not a big deal and keep it. I'm a big Slash fan as well and that model is hit and miss in regards to the top's grain, imo. Yours looks like a true replica to me, it looks f'ing great man. It really sucks to receive an expensive guitar in the mail and to see blemishes that you didn't know about but you'll get over it soon, if you're not already, and it will be a great guitar.

Latest Threads