Gibson Slash 2021 Left handed - QC blunder?

mpyne

Reaction score
For sure keep the guitar if it sounds great to your ears. See if you can get some money back on your purchase for the blemish but definitely keep the guitar. Im a lefty too and as you know we cannot go into a shop and pick and choose.

Sinster

Reaction score
Even though you are keeping it. I would still let Gibson know that you're not happy with the poor QC. That shouldn't have made it past the final inspector. That could have been fixed before making it's way to you.

gibsonofabitch

Reaction score
i had something similar happen to my standards binding after an amp cable mishap. I took it to the local luthier, he looked at it, took it to the back for 5 mins and came back with it perfectly smoothed. Im not sure what he used, maybe some light grit sandpaper but the finished product was indiscernible to the eye. Didnt charge me for the work.

this looks very similar to that flaking. There is still binding underneath so I think a competent luthier should be able to help you out.

mjross

Reaction score
Nice guitar! I have to agree that in the hands of the right luthier, it may not be a very big issue at all. If it plays right, feels right, and has the right stuff, she’s a keeper. Hope you can get it resolved to your satisfaction. Congrats with your purchase!

I’m a lefty myself so I know how difficult it be to get that special guitar. And sometimes, like in your case, it can take a while to get it as it might be a special order and that’s another can of worms.

A while back I wanted an AFD lefty and ended up purchasing this one. Lefties of high end decent guitars can be very difficult to find. Here’s my lefty AFD, heavy relic!

1623169584241.jpeg

TSinc

Reaction score
Nice guitar! I have to agree that in the hands of the right luthier, it may not be a very big issue at all. If it plays right, feels right, and has the right stuff, she’s a keeper. Hope you can get it resolved to your satisfaction. Congrats with your purchase!

I’m a lefty myself so I know how difficult it be to get that special guitar. And sometimes, like in your case, it can take a while to get it as it might be a special order and that’s another can of worms.

A while back I wanted an AFD lefty and ended up purchasing this one. Lefties of high end decent guitars can be very difficult to find. Here’s my lefty AFD, heavy relic!

View attachment 542575
Small world man, I almost pulled the trigger on this myself a while back after getting chatting with the original owner (Juan). You’re a very lucky guy that’s an awesome guitar.

irocdave12

Reaction score
Those are chips in the clear coat that likely happened when they were razor scrapping the fret board. That said completely understandable since it was special ordered to want to keep it. However that should not be there. Good news its easily fixed with some drop fills and smoothing. You should call Gibson and ask to have a warranty claim started and they will direct you to one of their warranty shops or have you send it back to the factory at their cost to repair it. But it can easily be made right and in your expectations. Just a bummer for a bit while you get it sorted out

mjross

Reaction score
Small world man, I almost pulled the trigger on this myself a while back after getting chatting with the original owner (Juan). You’re a very lucky guy that’s an awesome guitar.
Absolutely amazing! Just pulled it out of the case and gave her a spin! Don‘t freak but below is what she looks like now. Kept all the original stuff but replaced the pickups with some Thorbak KZ 115 MXV’s with actual 70’s M69 pickup rings, added Mojo Axe a pick guard, and changed the knobs to Area 59’s. Not too difficult to change her back as all the components are in the case pocket. However, I’m kinda diggin her like this at the moment. I‘ve got a few nice Les Pauls and this one is in the top 3!

Last edited:

TSinc

Reaction score
Absolutely amazing! Just pulled it out of the case and gave her a spin! Don‘t freak but below is what she looks like now. Kept all the original stuff but replaced the pickups with some Thorbak KZ 115 MXV’s with actual 70’s M69 pickup rings, added Mojo Axe a pick guard, and changed the knobs to Area 59’s. Not too difficult to change her back as all the components are in the case pocket. However, I’m kinda diggin her like this at the moment. I‘ve got a few nice Les Pauls and this one is in the top 3!

looks great! Such a nice piece of wood.

mjross

Reaction score
looks great! Such a nice piece of wood.
Much more stunning in real life! This guitar has some real mojo. Consider myself very lucky to have it. Not many out there for lefties.

Last edited:

ryano

Reaction score
Keep the guitar and have it fixed. That shouldnt be a big deal at all for the right luthier. Im not too sure I couldnt fix that to my liking myself

timberterra

Reaction score
Another lefty here. Early this year I saw a lefty AFD for sale and got one (was wanting a November burst but this one had a great top). The fit and finish is great. No tooling marks. I’d try to get some cheddar back if I were you but I would keep it. Mine sounds awesome and I reach for it more than my R9 (which could change as I’ve just ordered some whisker buckers).

Attachments

reelman955

Reaction score
Evening all,

Big slash fan, but unfortunately left handed. Have always wanted a signature guitar of his specifically an AFD. Got the chance to order one last year in July and after a long wait received it earlier this week.

Let me start by saying, I’ve owned 10 Gibson Les Paul standards over the last decade ranging from 1988 to 2018. This guitar is hands down the bay sounding, playing and looking of the lot. It’s everything I’d hoped it would be when placing the order and more, lovely light weight and thick 50s neck. Loud and vibrant unplugged and amplified - very lively and Tone to die for.

*However*

I was pretty taken aback at what looks like a QC blunder of decent proportions on the upside of the neck. It’s seemingly I can describe as flakey chip marks in the finish of the binding between the first and 5th fret.

The guitar was made to order for me
And has been touched by no other, so I’m of the assumption this must be an in house gaffe from Gibson.

What on earth would have gone on here? I have contacted the store bought from who have used the ‘ah that’s just good old Gibson’ adage but are happy to refund if I can’t live with it. However it’s THAT good a guitar that id rather keep it as I know I’d be chasing a ghost tonally, visually and playability wise if it went.

Your thoughts and opinions are valued guys. Let me know what you think.

Ever seen anything like it? Should it stay or should it go?

Thanks (First time poster)
Tom
I’d keep it they way it is. Personally, Feel, Tone and playability is what’s most important to me, but again, that’s me. Cosmetics ranks on the bottom for me. I also didn’t order it custom and waited 11 months for it or paid for it. But, you did state you know you won’t be able to replace all the greatness you love about it.

Tensjeek

Reaction score
Evening all,

Big slash fan, but unfortunately left handed. Have always wanted a signature guitar of his specifically an AFD. Got the chance to order one last year in July and after a long wait received it earlier this week.

Let me start by saying, I’ve owned 10 Gibson Les Paul standards over the last decade ranging from 1988 to 2018. This guitar is hands down the bay sounding, playing and looking of the lot. It’s everything I’d hoped it would be when placing the order and more, lovely light weight and thick 50s neck. Loud and vibrant unplugged and amplified - very lively and Tone to die for.

*However*

I was pretty taken aback at what looks like a QC blunder of decent proportions on the upside of the neck. It’s seemingly I can describe as flakey chip marks in the finish of the binding between the first and 5th fret.

The guitar was made to order for me
And has been touched by no other, so I’m of the assumption this must be an in house gaffe from Gibson.

What on earth would have gone on here? I have contacted the store bought from who have used the ‘ah that’s just good old Gibson’ adage but are happy to refund if I can’t live with it. However it’s THAT good a guitar that id rather keep it as I know I’d be chasing a ghost tonally, visually and playability wise if it went.

Your thoughts and opinions are valued guys. Let me know what you think.

Ever seen anything like it? Should it stay or should it go?

Thanks (First time poster)
Tom
Take it back!!!!!! Now! And get another one. Gibson doesn’t want that stuff getting through.

LeftyGtrPlr

Reaction score
Another fellow lefty who completely understands the difficulty of finding amazing lefty guitars.
I agree with all those who said to keep it, however, start the warranty claim with Gibson. That would drive me nuts, especially since you would see it every time you look at the fretboard. It's one thing if it was on the other side, but not when it's right in your field of vision.

Just converted my 2013 LP Standard to uncovered SD zebra pickups to get rid of the Burstbuckers (like the look, but nothing to do with trying to make it look like a Slash). Amazing tone machine now with the SD JB!

2013 LP Std.jpg

lwchafin

Reaction score
Everything everyone here says is probably spot on, but I'd cross-post this over on the Luthier section of the site and see what people who actually build and repair guitars have to say. They know stuff.

timberterra

Reaction score
Another fellow lefty who completely understands the difficulty of finding amazing lefty guitars.
I agree with all those who said to keep it, however, start the warranty claim with Gibson. That would drive me nuts, especially since you would see it every time you look at the fretboard. It's one thing if it was on the other side, but not when it's right in your field of vision.

Just converted my 2013 LP Standard to uncovered SD zebra pickups to get rid of the Burstbuckers (like the look, but nothing to do with trying to make it look like a Slash). Amazing tone machine now with the SD JB!

View attachment 543167
Beautiful top

Latest Threads