Gibson Slash 2021 Left handed - QC blunder?

TSinc

Reaction score
Evening all,

Big slash fan, but unfortunately left handed. Have always wanted a signature guitar of his specifically an AFD. Got the chance to order one last year in July and after a long wait received it earlier this week.

Let me start by saying, I’ve owned 10 Gibson Les Paul standards over the last decade ranging from 1988 to 2018. This guitar is hands down the bay sounding, playing and looking of the lot. It’s everything I’d hoped it would be when placing the order and more, lovely light weight and thick 50s neck. Loud and vibrant unplugged and amplified - very lively and Tone to die for.

*However*

I was pretty taken aback at what looks like a QC blunder of decent proportions on the upside of the neck. It’s seemingly I can describe as flakey chip marks in the finish of the binding between the first and 5th fret.

The guitar was made to order for me
And has been touched by no other, so I’m of the assumption this must be an in house gaffe from Gibson.

What on earth would have gone on here? I have contacted the store bought from who have used the ‘ah that’s just good old Gibson’ adage but are happy to refund if I can’t live with it. However it’s THAT good a guitar that id rather keep it as I know I’d be chasing a ghost tonally, visually and playability wise if it went.

Your thoughts and opinions are valued guys. Let me know what you think.

Ever seen anything like it? Should it stay or should it go?

Thanks (First time poster)
Tom

Attachments

Sinster

Reaction score
I would email Gibson and ask them if this is the type of craftsmanship that you should expect from them. Ask them how does a made to order guitar leave the factory like that?

Me personally I would return it since the price you paid and that it was custom made for you. FWIW even if it was on a less expensive model, I would return it.

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar - but wow how did that get out the door? Does the retail store you bought it from inspect the guitars at all before they ship out? As beautiful as it is I wouldn't accept that at all.

DaveSG

Reaction score
Bro keep the guitar. Keepers are hard to find. If (apart from the QC issue), the guitar has amazed you, don't let it go. I'd definitely try to keep Gibson and the store accountable - but it does look like a real easy fix.

ESPECIALLY being a lefty...chances are of finding another one that looks good, plays good, sounds good, etc...let's just say you'll be waiting a long time. Others are out there, but I waited 2 years for the right LP to come around and boy am I glad I did. It's not perfect either.

DaveSG

Reaction score
Good looking top on that guitar...and not all of them are.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Actually not a big deal. I was expecting something hideous from your description. Many Gibsons have some of that nitro sanded off when the edges of the binding are rounded. You could hit the whole binding edge with 800 to 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. I’ve been known to run a single-cut file down the binding edge to smooth down nibs in the past. I would never return a nice playing guitar for those chips.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say, they cut it the wrong 'kin way round.

seriously though, i looked at pics before reading text and thouught someone was careless in that shop, but it ain't been in a shop, normally i'd be of opinion that minor comestic things happen, and to live with them, but not when something been special ordered. But i wouldn't send in back in this instance, as it can easily by got rid of by any reasonably skilled person, nitro is the best for invisible repairs.

Last edited:

TSinc

Reaction score
Thanks all so far, I’m pretty sure I’ll make the decision to keep it to be honest as if I order another one it’ll probably have something else undesirable on it. Just chalk it up to ‘one of those things’ and maybe look at a pro touch up

FingerLakesFan

Reaction score
I would see if you could just get it repaired if it really bothers you. However, don't get rid of it as you will regret it. I've now said it a thousand times: The Slash model is as close as you can get to a Custom Shop Les Paul. I love mine and it plays and sounds as good as my R8 and R9. Cheers and well done!

TSinc

Reaction score
I would see if you could just get it repaired if it really bothers you. However, don't get rid of it as you will regret it. I've now said it a thousand times: The Slash model is as close as you can get to a Custom Shop Les Paul. I love mine and it plays and sounds as good as my R8 and R9. Cheers and well done!
thanks! Yeah I agree there, really impressive guitars.

Latest Threads