Gibson SGJ Basic Inexpensive SG 24 Fret 490R & 490T Pups

Riffster

Reaction score
I do not like the black covers on this guitar, the EMG style simply does not match. The black tuners look great on other guitars that have a solid color finish but not on this one and because the black nut matches the headstock it does not bother me.

Once I fully pimp up this SG I'll post it in here.

garybaldy

Reaction score
Hello. Am just discovering this guitar. The Gibson SGJ. It's an SG that looks very much like "The Paul" from the 70's I believe it was. Does anyone out there own one or have firsthand knowledge of this one? They look kind of collectible. I was wondering about their play-ability. Thanks. :D
I own one and it's definitely playable! - at every gig.
2017 Marshfield Fete.jpg

Riffster

Reaction score
Yea, I would have loved the white one but they do not come up often then they do go for more. I was actually going to refinish this SG I bought, I have paint and everything but decided to leave the color as-is...for now.

Biddlin

Reaction score
Hello. Am just discovering this guitar. The Gibson SGJ. It's an SG that looks very much like "The Paul" from the 70's I believe it was. Does anyone out there own one or have firsthand knowledge of this one? They look kind of collectible. I was wondering about their play-ability. Thanks. :D
P1010179.JPG
P1010182.JPG

Had this one about 5 years now. It plays and sounds great. The 24 fret neck is super fast. The finish shines up from use, to a nice satin.

rednefceleb

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd throw in a LPJ model too. Pretty nice for the $. They seem to rate better than many 'Studio' LP's. :slash:...Remember cigarette machines? :slash:
:slash:

rednefceleb

Premium Member
Reaction score
View attachment 295095 View attachment 295096
Had this one about 5 years now. It plays and sounds great. The 24 fret neck is super fast. The finish shines up from use, to a nice satin.
It's just amazing to me that these lowest priced Gibsons are so fine and they do compete with ANY other Gibson guitars. This 'Newer Jr.' thing is one of my favorite trends. :)

phodg

Reaction score
I have a 2013 LPJ Pro. The desert burst one (which is the only LPJ Pro that comes with a maple top). Has coil tapped 490R and 490T pickups. Great guitar, especially for the $399 I paid for it new at GC.
I also had a '14 SGJ which was very good, but I passed it on to my nephew when he was looking to upgrade his guitar.

Biddlin

Reaction score
Was it the look or the sound of the 490/498 that you didn't like? (or both?).
I liked the 490/498 combo just fine but have other guitars to cover that and wanted a more sedate tone palette for this one. I'm OK on the black plastic covers. I dig the minimalist vibe.

rednefceleb

Premium Member
Reaction score
I liked the 490/498 combo just fine but have other guitars to cover that and wanted a more sedate tone palette for this one. I'm OK on the black plastic covers. I dig the minimalist vibe.
I think that the LPJ 2013 has a 490R & 490T. I'm not sure what the pups changed to after that. The 57 pup sure is sweet. My Epi 60's Tribute Plus had them. I did have the 490R & 498T set in a Gibson DC Studio 24 fret. I loved those too. I honestly 'haven't met a Gibson Pup I didn't like'. Will Rogers said: 'I never met a man I didn't like'. :thumb: :)