Gibson SG Kirk Douglas Captain - any comments on this one?

100LL

Reaction score
I usually take a lap through local listings before bed. Noticed this one last night.

Anyone have any experience with this artist edition? Looks pretty versatile with all the pickup/volume/tone options.

***UPDATE***
seller is a scammer

Last edited:

jaqueh

Reaction score
It does strike me as a good price. Makes me wonder if something is off.
The economy is in shambles. I'm not too suspicious, especially if you're able to go out and see it

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
Didn't they go for $2500 new?

100LL

Reaction score
ive got 2 of em.
that's awesome! tell us more.

by the way, i sent the guy a message. I think it's a scam. But I'm still intrigued with this artist model. Didn't know about it and now I'm thinking it's pretty damn cool.

Last edited:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless that model has something different with the serial number, that's a late 2020, not March 2022.
YDDDYRRR

So that would be the 318th day of 2020 or Friday, November 13th.

It looks legit, and that wouldn't be a typical model to fake, but the discrepancy between the serial number and the story to go with it makes me wonder if this is a legit sale or a scammer?

100LL

Reaction score
Unless that model has something different with the serial number, that's a late 2020, not March 2022.
YDDDYRRR

So that would be the 318th day of 2020 or Friday, November 13th.

It looks legit, and that wouldn't be a typical model to fake, but the discrepancy between the serial number and the story to go with it makes me wonder if this is a legit sale or a scammer?

Yea I figured I would send a message to see about it. Then I decided to search more broadly on craigslist and discovered it listed elsewhere in TX (one is flagged for removal, the other is a scam warning).

So this is indeed a scammer.

But now I'm intrigued with the model. love to hear more about 3 pickups. I suppose I would be concerned about strumming clearance (because I'm a hack :D

The Ballzz

Reaction score
While that's a killer deal on a killer guitar, the SG style guitar that Captain Kirk played that I liked most was like Ferrari red with a white pick guard. Not sure of the specific model or year range. Also can't remember if was a two or three pickup model!
Just Droolin'
Gene

jaqueh

Reaction score
Yea I figured I would send a message to see about it. Then I decided to search more broadly on craigslist and discovered it listed elsewhere in TX (one is flagged for removal, the other is a scam warning).

So this is indeed a scammer.

But now I'm intrigued with the model. love to hear more about 3 pickups. I suppose I would be concerned about strumming clearance (because I'm a hack :D
Crazy. Definitely bordering too good for true. Usually it’s the custom shop Les Paul’s on my local Craigslist that are listed for 1k or less that are obviously scams.

semka

Reaction score
I have the green one. This is exceptionally good guitar, pretty much custom shop quality and with additional tonal capabilities. If you're OK with master volume control sticking out from the pick guard that is.
I would caution against buying the first (red) incarnation of it though, because it had a defective togpot that is very hard to find if you need to replace it.

Last edited:

gibsonofabitch

Reaction score
I have the green one. This is exceptionally good guitar, pretty much custom shop quality and with additional tonal capabilities. If you're OK with master volume control sticking out from the pick guard that is.
I would caution against buying the first (red) incarnation of it though, because it had a defective togpot that is very hard to find if you need to replace it.
do your frets feel low? Mine measure lower than my other gibsons - .04" vs. ,06". May not seem like much but its noticeable. I recently reached out to captain kirk via ig ad asked about it. He left me on read lol

Latest Threads