Gibson SG 61 Reissue, the hunt for the elusive "slim taper"

protestheriphery

Reaction score
Ive wanted a 61 Reissue SG for a few years now and my current GAS flare ups arent helping me any. When I check out the specs on most 61 RI's, they look pretty ideal. However, I'm aware that not all necks are created equal, even under the same category. I have 2 Les Paul Customs with different feeling necks. I've seen some used listings and forum posts state that some 61 RI's have meaty shapes, despite being typically spec'd as "slim taper". This kinda makes me feel confused and hesitant. Last thing I want to do is pull the trigger on something online, then discover it's not as described. I've dealt with it over and over. That's just par for the course with buying used Gibson's online.

Does anybody have any tips on which year 61 RI's would most likely have the slimmest neck? I read somewhere that the 2012's are nice and slender. On the other hand I came across a listing for a 2007 that stated it was more on the chunky side. I'm hoping to get ahold of something that feels like an Explorer, or those 2014 SGJs. I also had a 2005 LP Standard, and that thing felt nice. It was inspiring every time I picked it up.

manchild

Reaction score
Unfortunately there is always a variance no matter the model year. If buying online best you can do is ask for measurements, but that can be misleading depending on how much shoulder the neck has. Even the amount of taper can make it feel right or wrong.

protestheriphery

Reaction score
Unfortunately there is always a variance no matter the model year. If buying online best you can do is ask for measurements, but that can be misleading depending on how much shoulder the neck has. Even the amount of taper can make it feel right or wrong.
Yeah, its a crapshoot shopping used online.

Alligatorbling

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a 2019 and its medium shaped, no where near as thin as my old LP classic which have very thin necks. The RI sgs have a wide neck. I think you will dig it.

Last edited:

protestheriphery

Reaction score
I have a 2019 and its medium shaped, no where near as thin as my old LP classic which have very thin necks. The RI sgs have a wide neck. I think you will dig it.
I held a Classic once. Probably the thinnest Gibson neck Ive touched. I heard that the body on RI's are also one piece. Makes me even more curious to check one out.

Pancake81

Reaction score
If your that particular (not a bad thing) on neck feel and specs you really can’t “pay without play”. Only down side is it limits your market to what you can drive too. And when you are considering the used market it sucks even more.

I have a 2001 61 re-issue and it’s phenomenon! I mean it, top shelf. The best Thing with the early 2000’s reissue’s is that they were all nickel hardware, 57 classics for both the neck and bridge pick up, one piece bodies, and the ABR1 bridge. Given these specific attributes, as well as the nicest 60 slim taper necks I have ever felt, including vintage, These would be one of the only guitars I would pick up online without playing. So long as the photos showed it in the condition I was happy with.

all of that in conjunction with some deep curves in the horns, you would have to go to the custom shop to get an equivalent guitar new from Gibson.

As far as SG’s go, I have a custom and a custom shop that I would push out of the way to save this baby from a fire . Here is a picture of Amy, my never sell Gibson SG.

protestheriphery

Reaction score
Nice guitars. Ebony SGs with the small guard are kinda rare these days.

"The best Thing with the early 2000’s reissue’s is that they were all nickel hardware"

So how is the hardware on guitars after that era? They still appear to be nickel from just a glance.

Pancake81

Reaction score
Chrome is the standard for most USA models. Nickel has been offered on some models, but comes and goes. Nickel is a funny one, folks either love it or hate it. Personally I love the natural patina you get, as appose to the polished hubcaps. You be the judge

jb_abides

Reaction score
Not mine, just the Brian Ray signature, Sliverfox... uses silver grain filler. His recent white one uses black grain filler.

BWOTW

Reaction score
I've had a couple of 61RI, a 2007 and a 2000. The 2000 was very slim, the other one was a beat meatier. But, fi you really want slim, try to find a japanese clone; my '80 Greco has a pencil-neck profile that feels great

moreles

Reaction score
My '87 Reissue '61 Les Paul/SG Custom (the 3 pickup model) has the incredibly slim '61 neck. It's a very distinctive shape, and very shallow back-to-front. Since I play with a light touch anbd do not wrap my thumb much, I absolutely love this neck. This model has excellent ebony for the fretboard and a great fret job, so I love this model and this year. But in subsequent years, "61" seems to mean many things -- mostly the pickguard and bevels, I think -- and I understand that the necks are all over the place.

Telechamp

Reaction score
My 2013 Ebony Standard has a wide, thin neck (which I LOVE) that just fits me perfectly.

TattooedCarrot

Ferro Picta Carota
Reaction score
Does anybody have any tips on which year 61 RI's would most likely have the slimmest neck? I read somewhere that the 2012's are nice and slender.
There might be something to that. I currently have two 61RI's, a 2010 and a 2012. The 2012 is noticeably slimmer and flatter feeling than the 2010 that is definitely chunkier and more rounded. In fact, this 2012 is probably the slimmest, flattest profile example of any Gibson 60's slim taper I've ever owned (and I've owned too many to recall over the years.)

I measured them at the 1st and 12th frets as follows:

2012: 0.84" - 0.87"

2010: 0.84" - 0.92"

Both of the nuts were just over 43mm wide.

Latest Threads