Gibson "Rusty Hetfield" Explorer in progress.

jlb32

Reaction score
Still a long way to go. Need different knobs, pickups, hardware, etc... and still need to polish it up properly. As you can see it has a haze at the lower bout and elsewhere at the moment. The pickguard is darker and more rusted looking in person also. Very hard to get a good photo.

Just a work in progress but give me your thoughts?

Last edited:

MSB

Reaction score
Explorers are some of the coolest/most comfortable guitars to play, if they made more with big necks, I'd probably never buy a LP again....that and the GIANT case

jlb32

Reaction score
Cool, did you make the pickguard yourself ?
A friend of mine made it for me. When I bought the guitar it had a aftermarket white pickguard on it that didn't really fit properly so I talked him into trying to make me one of these.

It was a trial and error process and took some time but I think it turned out looking pretty good in the end.

jlb32

Reaction score
This guitar plays and sounds so great. It is beat and scratched up like hell but I play it hard and IMO the scratches all over and dings suit it.

Loving the pickguard. It continues to evolve in the way it looks even though it is clear coated. I think it will rust slightly more as time goes by.

Last edited:

jlb32

Reaction score
Got the finish evened out. What's showing up on the lower bout now is just relections. Looks alot better evenness wise.