Gibson Quality Control Rant

jon1

Reaction score
Thank you! Great vid, and its something those guys in Nashville need to know.

Archtop 13

Reaction score
If you have to put out a video to get their attention, they obviously don't think it's that big of a problem.

Goodcleanfun

Reaction score
Thank you for doing this.

Seriously, this is important.

People always talk about Gibson's QC, or lack thereof, but I've never seen anyone actually provide examples or indeed empirical evidence of how they're screwing up.

Please make videos of every single thing they screw up on with regards to QC that you come across. It's not only important for Gibson, it's important for their consumers too. I'll repost where I can.

TravisW

Reaction score
Good vid, Freddy
I know this is a Gibson-based forum, but I really wish more people would get the principle of voting with their dollars. Gibson makes some good guitars. I would have no problem with paying up to a thousand dollars for most of the instruments that they produce. I think their hardware is atrocious for what they charge.

The thing that's irritating, and what I think is irritating to many of us, is that they HAVE IT ALL. Gibson could have an incredible balance of quality, consistency, and value that is fitting for their legendary status. But they don't. The promote the crap out of their products, charge through the nose for what they are, and then have ridiculous fit and finish problems. I haven't found their branded hardware (not counting pickups) to be the least bit better than the cheapest equivalents from Allparts.

A couple years back, a buddy of mine ordered a Goldtop reissue. It arrived with the bridge in the wrong place--there was about 2mm of fingerboard below the high E string. He nearly had the Nazi face-melt when he saw it.

The Incredible Melting Nazi - YouTube

Reaction score
I agree that it's time for Henry to step down. New parts that come damaged??
How do things like this slip by quality control?

Gibson needs a fresh start from a person who puts quality of product above the bottom line.

mdr40z

Reaction score
NOTHING more frustrating than a f'd up part in the middle of a build or setup, NOTHING!
Looks like a nice guitar too.

Nay

Reaction score
Not that I have the most experience with Gibsons, being a lefty with a once a year chance to actually play a lefty Gibson in our local music shops, but I was madly dissapointed with the first encounter.

Now, I have played an 80's SG. Loved it. I've wanted one ever since. I have played some really nice Les Paul copies and a few right handed Gibsons to get their feel and loved them.

So the day I see a left handed, USA built, £1700, black Gibson LP and got the chance to play it... It was horrible.

I spoke to the guy who works at the shop and we compared it to a right handed epiphone, and guess which one actually looked better made. This was even worse on on an unfinished look Gibson SG. On the other hand, I've never been let down once by Epiphone. Bar the muddy pickups.

I refuse to order an expensive guitar due to experiences with my Ernie Ball Stingray, but when you get to play a such a famous guitar and realise its crap... man, its a downer. Kinda like driving a Ferrari Testarrosa really, or a Lamborghini Diablo, if you ever get the chance :D

Barnaby

Reaction score
Good for you, man! :applause:

I'd never buy a new Gibson. Decided that years ago after looking at a bunch in various shops here. Japan is supposed to get the good ones, too - poor fret jobs, lousy binding, badly-applied finishes, tearout in 335 f-holes...the list goes on and on.

The upside is that this is part of the reason I started building my own. :naughty:

David Mccarroll

Reaction score
oh, Gibson quality.

Look at a row of Les Paul Standards hanging up in a big chain in the city - file marks all over the fretboard of EVERY guitar

Uber-Expensive Tobias Bass sitting in the showroom of our distributor .... with a paint drip in the middle of the neck....

Same distributor has an Explorer shipped to Sydney from Melbourne for a friend of mine to buy - no one even bothered to plug it in before he picked it up - it DIDN'T work!

My 1996 57RI (at the time an $7300AUD purchase!) - un-tuneable, un-intonatable! Swapped it for a PRS CU22 that can sit in its case for a month and still be in tune when I pull it out again.

I love the sound of Gibsons, but geeze, they really don't do their customers any favours these days ......

H.E.L.Shane

Reaction score
That was great!!!

Right on man!

"Yeah...... its bent!!"

I laughed my ass off at yuour expression there !!

TKOjams

Reaction score
:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

I just recieved a set of control covers and the back of them had chuncks missing out of them. :wtf:
I guess it's time to start making my own instead of buying them from Gibson, it'll be cheaper anyway.