gibson posts pic of 2018 guitar with cracked headstock

PierM

Reaction score
At least means they do read forums and are reading the comments in their official pages!

We've seen that since day 1 of those tease shots :)

Phusion974

Reaction score
Highly doubt that's a cracked headstock.
Looks more like polishing or rubbing compound to me.
9 times out of 10, a crack is following the grain of the wood (vertically), not across.

You think with all the guitars Gibson has at their disposal, they would use a damaged one for a photo?

sk8rat

Reaction score
wow, really didn't expect this from Gibson.
where have you been the last 4 years? their quality control is absolutely garbage. I received two brand new les pauls with chipped finishes, dings, broken pots, unfinished wiring and horrible fretboards.

this is a pretty deep gouge.

also a pretty big chip on the other side

the bottom of the headstock veneer isnt straight at all

Last edited:

horns_up

Reaction score
where have you been the last 4 years? their quality control is absolutely garbage. I received two brand new les pauls with chipped finishes, dings, broken pots, unfinished wiring and horrible fretboards.

this is a pretty deep gouge.

also a pretty big chip on the other side

the bottom of the headstock veneer isnt straight at all
Is that fretboard peeling?

sk8rat

Reaction score
Did they do a good job on the repair?
I would say they did just enough to say they didnt do a sh*tty job. they just sanded it down. there are still some spots where I can see it along the edges on the upper frets but not enough to bother me. If I want to get rid of it I can just hit it with a high grit sand paper. they got the worst of it.

fleahead

Reaction score
That is most certainly a cracked headstock. I've a couple, I've repaired scores over the years.

horns_up

Reaction score
I
I would say they did just enough to say they didnt do a sh*tty job. they just sanded it down. there are still some spots where I can see it along the edges on the upper frets but not enough to bother me. If I want to get rid of it I can just hit it with a high grit sand paper. they got the worst of it.
Is it a 2017?, seems like there are alot of them out there with fretboard issues like that. I can't believe the amount of garbage coming from the factory recently. Ridiculous.

sk8rat

Reaction score
I

Is it a 2017?, seems like there are alot of them out there with fretboard issues like that. I can't believe the amount of garbage coming from the factory recently. Ridiculous.
it was built in 2016 but technically its a 2015.