Gibson polishing cloth staining the finish?

Jupper

Reaction score
So I was cleaning down my white Les Paul Custom. I typically use Music Nomad One alongside a Music Nomad branded polishing cloth to clean my guitars and I've never had a problem whatsoever with it. But then I decided to use one of the Gibson USA polishing cloths that came along in the case of my other Les Paul Standard because it was nearby.
image0(2).jpeg

Then this happened as I started using it on the headstock and stopped immediately as I noticed it. Right below the D tuner and above the A tuner, you can see the finish turned this blue/black-ish color.
image1.jpeg

So maybe you guys can share your knowledge as to what happened here. Did the polishing cloth react with the Nitro finish and stain it? And if you guys have any other advice, would you know how to remove the stain or get the affected area back to it's white color?

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
The cloth might have reacted to the One polish and left some residue dye. Cleaning it ASAP with a damp cloth might work, or check out Virtuoso cleaner which might lift the color. Maybe wash the Gibson cloth and see if some color dye comes out?

Ridiculous if it was dye leaking, they sell yellow polish cloth and platinum cloth which is grey.

You might want to inform Gibson of this? It may be a new cloth, cheaply made? Yikes!

Jupper

Reaction score
The cloth might have reacted to the One polish and left some residue dye. Cleaning it ASAP with a damp cloth might work, or check out Virtuoso cleaner which might lift the color. Maybe wash the Gibson cloth and see if some color dye comes out?

Ridiculous if it was dye leaking, they sell yellow polish cloth and platinum cloth which is grey.

You might want to inform Gibson of this? It may be a new cloth, cheaply made? Yikes!
Thanks for the input! Tried rubbing at it with a damp cloth. I think it might have taken a little bit out but unfortunately the stain is still there. I'll go ahead and try ordering Virtuoso cleaner and see if that works.

grumphh

Reaction score
Don't worry: In 50 years time (or so)* your guitar will be worth 100's of 1000's of dollars because it will be one from the fabled oversaturated polishing cloth batch, which in 50 years time willl be known to have been built with the very finest woods this half of the century had to offer.

You're golden :thumb:

* The only drawback is that you will have to own a tainted, disfigured guitar for those next 5 decades, and since we all know that the shame of owning a less than perfect Gibson is more than enough reason to commit seppuku, i wish you all the best of luck in surviving the next half century. Resist the urge!

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Very odd, I have a very old Gibson cloth that I've used for maybe 20 years and never had an issue (though I don't own any white guitars and only use it for certain things like polishing metal parts). The Virtuoso cleaner will take off anything on top of the finish, but won't clean this if it dyed the nitro. If it's from the Gibson cloth which seems likely you may have an argument for Gibson to have the finish issue repaired. From now on if I were you I'd use a microfiber cloth that's done a couple of laps through the laundry to wash out any dyes that may be left from manufacturing. they're quite safe, and do a better job of removing surface dirt / sweat than the felt like coth that ships with most Gibsons and Fenders.

Hope this helps and good luck!

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
My brand new White Custom turned pink at the back of the headstock from the store hanger reacting to it
White Customs must be very sensitive to this sort of thing
Yea, they are. Seen many white Gibsons with yellow spots from various things. Even saw a mostly yellow / formerly white SG. Not sure what happened to that one. Maybe a Gibson cloth and they didn't notice until they got finished polishing? :hmm:

(sorry, too soon)

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
I’ve heard rumors that one should never use that black cloth that comes with the guitar. Guess they were right! I hope that stain comes out for you!
From reading the original post it seems it was the yellow cloth that did it...

Peter M

Reaction score
I'm usually too lazy to dig out the polishing cloths and normally wipe 'em down with Kleenex. Usually a quick breath on the top surface and wipe with tissue eradicates the smudges. I'll apply polish to the back of the neck + body and around the binding after heavy use.

gball

Reaction score
Damn, that sucks. Hopefully you can get that out.

I never use the black ones that came with the guitars with polish. I actually don't think that's what they are intended for- can't prove it, but always just assumed they were for wiping it down dry after playing to get prints and forearm cheese off of them.

I have a couple of the yellow Gibson ones that came with the pump polish, similar the one in your photo, that I use with polish and never a single problem...

flashbak

Reaction score
Personally, I'd get some Meguiar's ScratchX (Walmart carries it) and use it on the back of the headstock. More then likely it will remove that staining. I'd do it relatively quick because the longer it sits on the finish and seeps in the harder it will be to remove.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a bummer…I want a white so bad but I reckon I’d ruin it because I keep all my guitars waxy and shiny…

I use bowling alley wax/paste….

-chris

OLD GUITAR PLAYER

Reaction score
So I was cleaning down my white Les Paul Custom. I typically use Music Nomad One alongside a Music Nomad branded polishing cloth to clean my guitars and I've never had a problem whatsoever with it. But then I decided to use one of the Gibson USA polishing cloths that came along in the case of my other Les Paul Standard because it was nearby.
View attachment 563162
Then this happened as I started using it on the headstock and stopped immediately as I noticed it. Right below the D tuner and above the A tuner, you can see the finish turned this blue/black-ish color.
View attachment 563160
So maybe you guys can share your knowledge as to what happened here. Did the polishing cloth react with the Nitro finish and stain it? And if you guys have any other advice, would you know how to remove the stain or get the affected area back to it's white color?
Oh Gawd, it's the die in the polishing cloth! I'm pretty sure if you go back to a neutral cloth (like the ones you've used before) this will correct itself fairly quickly. I don't think you've permanently stained the guitar, only the very top of the nitro, which should clear up if you continue to use MusicNomad One. As we all discover (sooner or later) nitro is a fickle mistress, and she needs to be carefully handled and protected!

Latest Threads