gibson pickups with quick connect leads

dju

Reaction score
hi all, I screwed up and bought the wrong gibson P90 pickups from one of the online used parts sellers. To be fair the photo showed the gibson braided 2 conductor leads but the last thing in the description said they had the quick connect leads. I pretty much stopped at the photo and didn't read the full description. I am hoping they will allow me to return them for a refund. Their site says they will however I have sent two messages and still have not gotten a response.
In case they don't respond or will not take them back does anybody know if these quick connect leads can be wired to regular pots? I have not been able to find a pinout for these connectors. I was also thinking maybe one of the pickup winders here would replace these wires with the gibson braided leads for a reasonable fee.

thanks for any help ya'll can give,
dj

WolfeMacleod

V.I.P. Member
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
They have quick connects? And your connection don't?

You should be able to cut them off and use them like normal...

dju

Reaction score
thanks for the reply Wolfe, there are five wires coming from the pickup to the quick connector. I have no idea what they are all for on a single coil pickup.

new gibson guitars have circuit boards that everything attaches to now. I just have the plain old fashioned 3 prong pots.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i46.tinypic.com/33epz5c.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefreaks/241862-show-me-your-gibson-quickconnect-control-cavity.html&docid=JbbjDzq9wd882M&tbnid=S_WFQFIgMBStgM:&w=730&h=547&ei=PscZVYLCEoqzyQTJ34Jw&ved=0CAIQxiAwAA&iact=c

dj

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
Gibson uses the same 5 connector molex for every pup.
You're gonna find that, actually, only 2 or 3 of the wires are really hooked to anything on a P90, & probably only 2.
Lift the cover, & have a close look, shouldn't be hard to figure out.
If you have a digital multi meter, start by checking a resistance reading between black & white

lessdrop

Reaction score
Just an idea; with everyone switching to 50's wording, there has.to be many of the modern bords around used and.cheap. they have the.pots mounted and.all you'd have to do is drop it in, reconnect the ground, put the switch and cabl plug in and done. Then.one.could.try many.diff. pu's without. Any solder or wireing to do. Like I said, just a thought.

lessdrop

Reaction score
Auto correct sucks! I meant board and cable and whatever else it decided I want to say.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Just an idea; with everyone switching to 50's wording, there has.to be many of the modern bords around used and.cheap. they have the.pots mounted and.all you'd have to do is drop it in, reconnect the ground, put the switch and cabl plug in and done. Then.one.could.try many.diff. pu's without. Any solder or wireing to do. Like I said, just a thought.
...as long as you are only interested in trying Gibson pickups and as long as you don't want 50's wiring or different pots & caps.

So ya, it's a really flexible system ...if you like painting yourself into corners. :dunno:

Just cut the clips off, like Wolfe said. Two of the insulated wires will meter a DC resistance of what you expect the pickup should be. One of these wires will become your hot and the other will pair with the shield/drain and become your ground. If the pickup is in phase with the other when in the middle position, you're done. If it's out of phase (and you don't want it that way), just flip the two insulated wires that gave you a reading. The other two insulated wires can be ignored.

dju

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional replies.
In the end I sent them back for a refund and will get the correct pickups.

dj

Latest Threads