Gibson Pickup Database

RAG7890

Reaction score
Have had a search throught the threads here, seems not to exist in a comprimate form..

So, here is my proposition for it, feel free to help me with your suggestions and a lot of values to complete it to a usefull form. If you like to do so..

Thx, guys :cheers:

Gibson Pickup Database

Pickup/ Impedance/ Magnet/ Introduced/ Discontinued/ BasePlates/ Models used on

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gibson PAF/ ~ 7.2 - 9.0 K/ (Al 2/3/5)/ 1955/ 1962/ 0, 1 / 1, 2
Gibson PAT NR / ~ 7.5 - 8.3 K/ xxxxxxxxx/ 1962/ 1965/ 2/ xxx/ xxx
Gibson TTops / xxxxxx/ xxxxxxxxx/ 1965/ 1980/ xx/ xxx/ xxx
Gibson Tim Shaw/ ~7.3-7.5 K/ xxxxxxxxx/ 1980/ 1988/ xx/ xxx/ 4

Gibson MiniHB / ~ 6.0 - 6.4 K/ (Al2)/ xxxx/ xxxx/ xx/ xxxx

Gibson Dirty Fingers / ~ 16.0 -16.6 K/ (2xCe) xxxx/ xxxx/ xx/ xxx

Gibson HB-R/ ~ 7.06 - 9.13 K / (Al5)/ 1988/ 1990/ 6/ xxx
Gibson HB-L /~ 13.39 - 15.3 K/ (Al5)/ 1988/ 1990/ 6/ xxx

Gibson '57 Classic / ~ 7.44 - 8.5 K / (Al2) / xxxx/ ongoing/ xx/ xxx
Gibson '57 ClassicPlus/ ~ 8.78 - 13.8 K (Al2)/ xxxx/ ongoing/ xx/ xxx

Gibson 490R /~ 7.2 - 8.11 K/ (Al2)/ 1990/ ongoing/ 0,3, 4/ 1, 2, 4, 7
Gibson 490T /~ 7.9 - 8.53 K/ (Al2)/ 1990/ ongoing/ xx/ xxx
Gibson 496R /~ 8.3 - 8.63 K/ (Ce)/ 1990/ ongoing/ xx/ xxx
Gibson 498T/~12.32 - 13.64 K/ (Al5)/ 1990/ ongoing/ 0, 3, 4/ 1, 2, 4, 7
Gibson 500T ~ 14 – 15 K / (Ce)/ 1990/ ongoing/ xx/ xxx

Gibson BB Pro / ~ 7.4 K / (Al5, potted)/xxxx/ ongoing/ xx/ xxx
Gibson BB Pro / ~ 8.0 K / (Al5, potted)/ xxxx/ ongoing/ xx/ xxx
Gibson BB 1 / ~ 7.5 K / (Al2) / xxxx/ ongoing/ xx/ xxx
Gibson BB 2 / ~ 8.0 - 8.4 K/ (Al2)/ xxxx/ ongoing/ xx/ xxx
Gibson BB 3 / ~ 8.2 - 8.8 K / (Al2) / xxxx/ ongoing/ xx/ xxx

Gibson P-90R / ~ 7.7 - 8.5 K/ (Al5) / xxxx/ xxxx/ xx/ xxx
Gibson P-90T / ~ 7.8 - 9.35 K/ (Al5)/ xxxx/ xxxx/ xx/ xxx
Gibson P-100R / ~ 6.1 K / (Al5) / xxxx/ xxxx/ xx/ xxx
Gibson P-100T / ~9.4 - 16.0 K/ (Al5)/ xxxx/ xxxx/ xx/ xxx
Gibson P-94R / ~ 8.1 K / (Al5) / xxxx/ xxxx/ xx/ xxx
Gibson P-94T / ~ 9.1 K / (Al5)/ xxxx/ xxxx/ xx/ xxx

Gibson Velvet Bricks / ~13 K / (Ce?)/ 1979?/ 1983?/ xx/ xxx
(made by Schaller)

Baseplate: 0= unmarked, 1= patend applied for decal, 2= patent number decal, 3= patent embossed, 4= gibson usa embossed,
5= pafdecal,datesticker, 6= pcb-back

Models used on: 1= custom, 2= standard, 3= classic, 4= studio, 5= junior, 6= special, 7= doublecut

x= no value yet

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alnico IV's (4) were also used in Vintage PAF's.

Alnico V's (5) used for early Patent No.'s.

:cheers:

chumpchange

Reaction score
is there a read on how to identify a pickup by looking at the pickup itself, assuming its not the original?

fretout

Reaction score
Sorry to necro-bump this thread, but the way I see it, this issue could use some more clarification.

I currently have 4 Gibson Les Paul Custom 1968 Reissues (and one Custom Authentic), and they all came stock with '57 Classic / '57 Classic Plus pickups. I've measured 3 separate sets and the readings that I'm getting are different than the list. So, for our benefit, and to help out future tone-seekers, I'm going to bring this thread back from the grave.

So here are the pickups themselves....

Here's the front. You'll notice a little bit of wax on the bobbins...

Here's the side. Take note of the maple strip between the bobbin and the plate used as a spacer...

Here's a pic of the plate. There is a "PATENT APPLIED FOR" sticker on these pickups. All that remains on this pickup is the lower left corner of the decal...

As far as the resistance goes, here's what I've found on my pickups...

2005 '68 Reissue:
Bridge: 7.89
Neck: 7.95

2003 '68 Reissue:
Bridge: 7.86
Neck: 7.81

2005 '68 Reissue:
Bridge: 8.41
Neck: 8.44

So, after a few years of waiting, can some other owners post their '57 Classic Resistances?

For a comparison, here's two guitars that have some great pickups in them, but they're not Gibson pickups...

Here's my Pelham Blue with a set of coil-tappable Seymour Duncan's in them. It's got a JB in the bridge and a '59 PAF in the neck...

2005 '68 Reissue:
Bridge: 16.14
Neck: 7.38

And a set of really high gain pickups. Try taking a guess what these are...

2003 68 Custom Authentic:
Bridge: 16.64
Neck: 17.19

garybaldy

Reaction score
Sorry to necro-bump this thread, but the way I see it, this issue could use some more clarification.

I currently have 4 Gibson Les Paul Custom 1968 Reissues (and one Custom Authentic), and they all came stock with '57 Classic / '57 Classic Plus pickups. I've measured 3 separate sets and the readings that I'm getting are different than the list. So, for our benefit, and to help out future tone-seekers, I'm going to bring this thread back from the grave.

So here are the pickups themselves....

Here's the front. You'll notice a little bit of wax on the bobbins...

Here's the side. Take note of the maple strip between the bobbin and the plate used as a spacer...

Here's a pic of the plate. There is a "PATENT APPLIED FOR" sticker on these pickups. All that remains on this pickup is the lower left corner of the decal...

As far as the resistance goes, here's what I've found on my pickups...

2005 '68 Reissue:
Bridge: 7.89
Neck: 7.95

2003 '68 Reissue:
Bridge: 7.86
Neck: 7.81

2005 '68 Reissue:
Bridge: 8.41
Neck: 8.44

So, after a few years of waiting, can some other owners post their '57 Classic Resistances?

For a comparison, here's two guitars that have some great pickups in them, but they're not Gibson pickups...

Here's my Pelham Blue with a set of coil-tappable Seymour Duncan's in them. It's got a JB in the bridge and a '59 PAF in the neck...

2005 '68 Reissue:
Bridge: 16.14
Neck: 7.38

And a set of really high gain pickups. Try taking a guess what these are...

2003 68 Custom Authentic:
Bridge: 16.64
Neck: 17.19
Ref. pic #3 - AL5? in a 57?

fretout

Reaction score
Ref. pic #3 - AL5? in a 57?

No, 57s all had Alnico 2s. All my Gibson Humbuckers have this little decal on them. It doesn't indicate that it's an Alnico 5 magnet. I've also heard that the #2 in the sticker means that it's a Burstbucker 2; and this is also incorrect. I'm not sure what the significance is...if any.

The only variation of this sticker is that the early 57 Classic or 57 Classic Plus had a handwritten sticker that said the exact same thing verbatim. I had some of the handwritten "#2 AL 5" stickers on some pickups that came from another Custom Authentic.

Also, IIRC, only the 57 Classicw had the maple used as a spacer, but I don't remember the source....

Thank you so much for responding!!!!

garybaldy

Reaction score
No, 57s all had Alnico 2s. All my Gibson Humbuckers have this little decal on them. It doesn't indicate that it's an Alnico 5 magnet. I've also heard that the #2 in the sticker means that it's a Burstbucker 2; and this is also incorrect. I'm not sure what the significance is...if any.

The only variation of this sticker is that the early 57 Classic or 57 Classic Plus had a handwritten sticker that said the exact same thing verbatim. I had some of the handwritten "#2 AL 5" stickers on some pickups that came from another Custom Authentic.

Also, IIRC, only the 57 Classicw had the maple used as a spacer, but I don't remember the source....

Thank you so much for responding!!!!

FWIW the bb pros in my 2004 LPS have labels which read '#1 AL V' for bridge and '#2 AL V' for neck.
I think the #1 means lead/bridge and #2 means rhy/neck.

On yours it just looks like the 5 is instead of the V - just a suggestion.:)

fretout

Reaction score
FWIW the bb pros in my 2004 LPS have labels which read '#1 AL V' for bridge and '#2 AL V' for neck.
I think the #1 means lead/bridge and #2 means rhy/neck.

On yours it just looks like the 5 is instead of the V - just a suggestion.:)

I appreciate the suggestions! Maybe they could possibly be Burstbuckers (based on the higher readings), but they are all supposed to be 57 Classics. Here's a few pictures of the other 57 Classics...

Ok, so back on track with the point of my posts, can anyone else share the readings of their 57 Classics? I think the info listed on the first page may be off...

dodger916

Reaction score
Welcome Boogie brother! Side question: do you think measuring resistance through a guitar cord has an effect of the reading?

LtKojak

Reaction score
A '57 Classic measure about 8KOhms, +/- 2% at 20°C/68F°.

HTH,

fretout

Reaction score
Welcome Boogie brother! Side question: do you think measuring resistance through a guitar cord has an effect of the reading?

What's up man! I recognize your user name from the OTHER forum! Good to see you here!

I tried measuring both though the output Jack and directly on the pickup's lead and the difference was barely anything at all. On my multimeter, the values jumped around a little bit when measuring through the jack, but the difference was always -0.03 lower, so I just used the jack for convenience.

fretout

Reaction score
A '57 Classic measure about 8KOhms, +/- 2% at 20°C/68F°.

HTH,

Thanks Kojac! The 8 ohm rule is a little vague since there's so many pickups that Gibson makes in that same range, so a little more accuracy is a must.

fretout

Reaction score
My main issue is I think the values for the 57 Classics are off. I have two shining (possibly 3) '57 Classic Plus PUPs that are registering at 7.86 ohms and 7.83 ohms, and another pickup that should be a super early 57 Classic Plus (or potentially a Burstbucker) that is clocking in at 8.41 ohms.

Something else I didn't expect is that the neck pickups (the 57 Classic) has a generally higher resistance rating than the bridge in most cases. These pickups seem to have a little bit wider gap between measurements.

I hated the 8.41 / 8.44 pickups in the Authentic, but it could have been a bad wiring job by the previous owner. Whereas, I got my Natural LPC ready to jam a few weeks ago, and when I plugged it into a fire-breathing Mark III, it sounded the best of any pickup I have ever tried. It didn't cut the best, but it had a really nice and gravelly structure to every chord I hit. I'm really starting to rethink the whole active pickup mentality when playing high gain...

dodger916

Reaction score
What's up man! I recognize your user name from the OTHER forum! Good to see you here!

I tried measuring both though the output Jack and directly on the pickup's lead and the difference was barely anything at all. On my multimeter, the values jumped around a little bit when measuring through the jack, but the difference was always -0.03 lower, so I just used the jack for convenience.

That's really helpful to know; I never thought of measuring that way.

Antigua

Reaction score
Have had a search throught the threads here, seems not to exist in a comprimate form..

So, here is my proposition for it, feel free to help me with your suggestions and a lot of values to complete it to a usefull form. If you like to do so..

Thx, guys :cheers:

Gibson Pickup Database

Pickup/ Impedance/ Magnet/ Introduced/ Discontinued/ BasePlates/ Models used on

This data set is undermined by not including the source of the information. You have no way of judging how reliable one source is over another when you come across contradictory info later on.

Latest Threads