Gibson P90 with quick connect plug

mojo1fan

Reaction score
Does Gibson sell their P90 with a preinstalled quick connect plug? I'd like to try one without using the available adaptors.

Do other manufacturers offer them?

ARandall

Reaction score
What guitar do you have that is p90 with molex???

IME Gibson's guitars with the connectors tend to be humbucker ones with switching options.

Either way, a 2 conductor will be an issue with the molex plugs not only as they have issues with the chassis ground and the coil wire being connected, (the molex connections separate them out), but also the physical attachment of braid into the molex is not easy to do at all.

Another point is that there are far more economical solutions than Gibson pickups aftermarket, as well as the option being tonally superior in most cases. Many boutiques are cheaper, as well as the regular options like GFS and Duncan. From my experience here of people's thought on the p90 offerings, while they tend to be a bit more liked than the OEM humbuckers they are not a patch on the better aftermarket ones out there.

Tubejockey

Reaction score
I have a set of early 60's Gibson P90s, and a set of GFS Slick P90s. I can tell you that the two sets are very similar, far more alike than different. Like 2 different flavors of a good P90. The GFS Slick variety is a very good low-cost option, and GFS offers a quick-connect if you wish.

LocoTex

Reaction score
I mounted a traditionally wired P90 in a Gibson that had quick connect wired P90-S pickups. I just soldered it to the pots the old fashioned way and it works fine. It's also a lot easier than trying to adapt a Molex connector to the pickup's wiring.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
What guitar do you have that is p90 with molex???
I know the 50's Tribute Goldtops do.

...but they are NOT the typical small white 5 pin Molex connectors that Gibson humbuckers use. They are a much larger 2 pin black Molex connector, similar to what you see the output jack connected to some Gibson PCBs with.

I have the crimper and all the plugs to do this stuff and I never use it. I don't recommend anyone waste their time / money / limit their options (of pickups, harness components, and harness schematics) to stick with a counter productive non-standard connector option.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I know the 50's Tribute Goldtops do.

...but they are NOT the typical small white 5 pin Molex connectors that Gibson humbuckers use. They are a much larger 2 pin black Molex connector, similar to what you see the output jack connected to some Gibson PCBs with.

I have the crimper and all the plugs to do this stuff and I never use it. I don't recommend anyone waste their time / money / limit their options (of pickups, harness components, and harness schematics) to stick with a counter productive non-standard connector option.
My 2013 '50s Tribute had the 5 pin Molex and P-90s. Gibson sells P-90s online with regular braided wire. I successfully installed a Molex equipped P-90 onto a standard harness by soldering capacitor legs to the pot and inserting them into the proper ports on the connector. It works fine. Two wire to Molex would be a bitch.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I had some Gibson P90s here that had the 5 pin connector. I had to put mine in with a standard harness though and cut it off. But, they do exist.

mojo1fan

Reaction score
I've got an LP Deluxe. I'd like to try a P90 in the bridge position without completely gutting the controls. If I don't like it I'd like to be able to put it back to stock with as little fuss as possible. I'm thinking I'll probably wind up just getting the adaptors that are available.

mojo1fan

Reaction score
I've found a pair of p90s w/ the control plate for sale for a pretty good price. I may just go that route.

ARandall

Reaction score
If thats the '4 pots on the plate' type setup, then this too will allow the restoration of stock should b it be needed.

I don't know the PCB that well, but if the switch wires are plug-in, you might have to do a bit of replacement of that cable run.

mojo1fan

Reaction score
I've found a pair of p90s w/ the control plate for sale for a pretty good price. I may just go that route.
So I bought this setup (came from a LP Special) and installed the two pickups but did not swap out the control plate. But it works! Loving the sound of the pickups.

Latest Threads