Gibson P-90 with quick connect question

rallygsc

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I recently acquired a set of Gibson P-90's with the quick connect used, but I have a question.

they have multiple wires on the plug due to the quick connect.

so is the wiring idea the same as the humbuckers?.

red hot, black ground, and the green and white ones get soldered together?.

any input is appreciated

take care and thanks
George

ARandall

Reaction score
That sounds like the p94 stack. The normal p90 only has 2 wires.....it being 1 coil of course.

rallygsc

Reaction score
Hello ARandall:

the pickup appears to be a regular P-90. it came out of a sg tribute, it seems Gibson is going bonkers with this quick connect stuff.

it's nice for those who want to use it, but for those of us that don't, it's not fun.

I will have to check the pickup again and make sure, I am putting them in a mosrite copy, I always wanted another mosrite for fun, but I don't want to shell out the cash for one , or buy a crappy Ed Roman one, got burned by Ed Roman Guitars a while back and it left a sour taste in my mouth.

but I will know this week when I get back.

take care and thanks
George

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
If it is a p90, they're probably only using 3 of the 5 wires, hot, ground & base ground, more than likely, the two others are cut off.

ARandall

Reaction score
Yep, p90's wouldn't need any more than 3.......2 if they combine ground with a pickup wire.

Maybe a pic is going to be the most helpful here.

floyd5550

Reaction score
Hello, I to have just purchased a P-90 with the quick connect with 5 wires. Does any one know how to modify it to 2 wires. Any help would surely be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

NYPV

Reaction score
I took out the pcb in my 50s tribute with P90s and wired it normal. The green and bare wires are ground, the white to vol. pot for bridge and the red to vol. pot for neck. All other wires snip bare wire off and tape up, you don't need em.

NYPV

Reaction score

I couldn't either. I just used my multimeter and figured it out. IDK, whether Gibson used the same wires or not on the neck and bridge p90s. The pups are the same so if you have a multimeter, verify by setting it to 20k ohm, clipping the green and bare to the (-) and touch the remaing wires to the (+) till you get an ohm reading. Thats it

NYPV

Reaction score
Did ya get those pups wired in yet?

Latest Threads