Gibson Owner Since The 50's?

MikeZito

Banned
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here bought a 50's Gibson, new, back in the 50's . . . or perhaps, bought/inherited one from someone who did. Would love to hear the story - especially if it's a '52.

mertzy

Reaction score
I don't think many octogenarians are hanging out on internet forums, but I guess you never know!

More Geritol!!!

jaik

Reaction score
A few months ago I became the 2nd owner of a 55 les paul goldtop named Ruth. Amazing instrument. What's to say? He bought the guitar in 55, played it at home and at church and such in the 50s & 60s but didn't feel right about going into clubs or houses of sin. After his wife passed away he stopped playing. When he passed away his daughter sold me the guitar, and I had the guitar gigging within a few days. When she first opened the case it was so clean I thought it might be a reissue until I got close enough to see the wear and smell it. The truss had never been opened, even the strap that came with it is in great shape, etc. I have some pictures of him playing it in the 50s.
I had been on the lookout for a conversion or a refin, & I still am I suppose, but Ruth just sat down on my lap and who could say no?

Sharky

Reaction score
A few months ago I became the 2nd owner of a 55 les paul goldtop named Ruth. Amazing instrument. What's to say? He bought the guitar in 55, played it at home and at church and such in the 50s & 60s but didn't feel right about going into clubs or houses of sin. After his wife passed away he stopped playing. When he passed away his daughter sold me the guitar, and I had the guitar gigging within a few days. When she first opened the case it was so clean I thought it might be a reissue until I got close enough to see the wear and smell it. The truss had never been opened, even the strap that came with it is in great shape, etc. I have some pictures of him playing it in the 50s.
I had been on the lookout for a conversion or a refin, & I still am I suppose, but Ruth just sat down on my lap and who could say no?
I love cool stories like this one.

Sharky

Reaction score
there was a 59 for sale one or two years ago. I forgot who the seller was, but he had a set of pictures, showing the original owner gigging with his country band in a club or rather a neigborhood pub back in the sixties or whenever. Did anybody capture those pics? I couldn't find them any more and would like to store them. He was so adorable. Grampa rockin this Burst, plain awesome

RAG7890

Reaction score
there was a 59 for sale one or two years ago. I forgot who the seller was, but he had a set of pictures, showing the original owner gigging with his country band in a club back in the sixties or whenever. Did anybody capture those pics? I couldn't find them any more and would like to store them. He was so adorable. Grampa rockin this Burst, plain awesome
I have all the photos Bjoern................:shock:...............except the one where he was playing with his band.

I will Email the other pics to you tomorrow. Awesome Plaintop & a rocking photo..........:thumb: :applause:

Cheers, Rudi

Sharky

Reaction score
I have all the photos Bjoern................:shock:................except the one where he was playing with his band.

I will Email the other pics to you tomorrow. Awesome Plaintop & a rocking photo..........:thumb: :applause:

Cheers, Rudi
thank you Rudi.

Yes, the Burst was real nice and the price was fair too AFAIR

Jimmi

Reaction score
I am the third owner of th 54 bigsby burst conversion I bought 25 yrs ago. The original owner did the conversion (or at least most of it) in the mid 60s. I know his name because it is etched in to the bigsby. The second owner was a frequent customer in the guitar store I worked in and bought it in 1972. So the sale dates are 1954, 1972 and 1987.

RevWillie

Reaction score
About 10 years ago I bought a '54 GT from a man who had received the guitar and a GA-?? amp for his high school graduation in June 1955. The man had a firm reasonable offer from Gruhn if he wanted to ship it but he wouldn't budge on the price for a cash deal. The guitar was so clean (only about 10 weather checks) that I got nervous until I looked in the control cavity. :D

Sharky

Reaction score
I have all the photos Bjoern................:shock:................except the one where he was playing with his band.

Cheers, Rudi
do you rember who the seller was? I think it was Jim's, someone in NY AFAIR. I contacted him because the Burst really attracted me. Such a humble, yet beautiful, one owner Burst

guitardon

Reaction score
About 10 years ago I bought a '54 GT from a man who had received the guitar and a GA-?? amp for his high school graduation in June 1955. The man had a firm reasonable offer from Gruhn if he wanted to ship it but he wouldn't budge on the price for a cash deal. The guitar was so clean (only about 10 weather checks) that I got nervous until I looked in the control cavity. :D

Look at the flame maple inside the cavity. The bottom of the cavity is the underside of the maple top. Man I would love to see if the whole top was like that. But I would never strip a beauty like this. Very cool guitar

RAG7890

Reaction score
do you rember who the seller was? I think it was Jim's, someone in NY AFAIR. I contacted him because the Burst really attracted me. Such a humble, yet beautiful, one owner Burst
Almost on the tip on my tongue....................but need another Coffee to stimulate my mind! :laugh2:

I'll will remember by tonight but I don't think it was Jim's Guitars.

Here is a pic & the Serial No..........but hard to read: -

Cheers, Rudi

Attachments

58burst

Reaction score
I bought my first gibson in '68, that's as far back as I go- It was a '52 LP-

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
I told this story here a few years ago but what the heck!

A mate of mine was doing some building work at a run down house in the sticks.
The old people who lived there had got a government grant to repair the roof. It was a bit of a crazy place full of stuffed animals. Huntin', shootin' and killin' types.:shock: My pal rings me up to say he has seen a brown guitar case behind a scruffy old upright piano in the back room. I said find out about it. He did. The son bought it in 1962 and it was a couple or three years old. Bought it off the vicar's son or something who gave up trying to play it. Could I buy it? Possibly....Could I see it?......Yes!

My arse was making buttons on the drive over and then I got there.........

Bollocks!!!:laugh2::laugh2:

RAG7890

Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wow: :shock:

Very funny story Cookie. Made me laugh. :)

Cheers, Rudi

PapaSquash

Reaction score
Not a 50's Gibson, but my father-in-law bought it new in '61.

His son got the family business and a college education, I got his daughter, his old Gibson and a pickup truck.

I win.

bandcgrizzly

Reaction score
Not my purchase but my dads. He was 17 in 1955 and bought this in Kent Washington from Myers Music. The guitar has remained in it's case for the majority of it's 62 year life. It's in pretty good shape for being 62 years old is 100% original and plays very well. I'll one day get the Glaser tailpiece modification but am in no hurry to. It remains in it's case most of the time.
He gave it to me in 2009 and I'll keep it until I give it to my kid.
I think these unbound 1952 Les Paul's are extremely cool and wish there was more info available about them. I know there is very little known about the numbers but I'm very curious how many were produced and wonder how many are still in existence.

PapaSquash

Reaction score
Amazing survivor! And the Supro to go with it!

I hope that old girl gets out under the lights at least once in a while, though.

Latest Threads