Gibson or another Epiphone?

dancsgrv

Reaction score
yup! My feeling exactly. Epiphone is very very good. Although, the Gibson craving was to strong. I had to have an actual Gibson LP. Still the Grail piece for me, I don’t know why. It doesn’t translate into words.

So, now that you have an Epi and a Gibson, what's the verdict on how they compare? Finish, sound, playability?

Six6String6

Reaction score
To be honest, the Epi is not all that far off. Maybe a bit more sustain from the Gibson, a richer tone I think. I’m not a seasoned pro by any means so I might be missing some of the finer nuances, but is the Gibson quality the same percentage better as the price over the Epiphone? I’m not so sure.
Of course the finish is far nicer on the Gibson. Not because the Epi is bad, but I like the nitrocellulose on a real AAA top. Not the “photo” veneer of the Epi. The Gibson just looks richer in most ways.
And it does feel better playing it. Placebo effect? I don’t think so. I’m sure it feels better.
To me it’s not the brand name thing. It’s more a romantic thing, the history, what the guitar meant to the history of rock.
I learned how to play as a kid on a “Pan” copy of a LP. I always said when I grow up I want a real Gibson.18 years ago I had one but sold it. I simply had to have one again. So, enter the 50’s Standard. No regrets.

Latest Threads