Gibson or another Epiphone?

Knoby

Reaction score
The first guitar I bought was an epiphone LP. Back in 96, because a real Gibson was too much of a stretch for me at the time and the epi felt great when I picked it up, so I bought it on the spot when I randomly walk into a music one day. It has slim fast neck, Nice flame top, the LP look. But deep down I always wanted a Gibson. I felt the same as you do, worried about the QC stories always making the rounds so in 2018 I ordered a new Gibson lp tribute. I figured I wouldn't lose as much of it turns out to be a lemon. It's not 2x better as the price would suggest but I can tell the difference in quality of the controls, and is has a totally different mojo. I loved it, and still do. That eased my mind about qc. A year later a bought a new Gibson LP classic. Again it is not 3.4x better than the epi but has a different sound and feel and I know I'm playing the real deal. I rarely touch the epi anymore, But I would never sell it because it is my First.

Now I'm I'm GASing for a lightweight custom shop Gibson with a 60s neck.

If you've always wanted a Gibson, you won't really be happy until you get one. Just take your time to find one that feels right for you.

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m

Again, I worry that the weight relief effects the sustain. Maybe I’m wrong, don’t know. If not that would give me options I guess

yah but wouldn't the minimalistic finish negate any sustain concerns around weight relief, letting the wood sing to its heart content anyway..? :laugh2:

I've never thought that about my tribute. I have two full body girls and the tribute has never had me dreaming of something else while in the moment.

good luck with your search!

redcoats1976

Reaction score
I have a bunch of both, plus a tokai sprinkled in. they're all unique. I'd say try as many as you can and let the guitar pick you.
this is the correct answer.if you play the gibson and love it,buy it.if you arent sure its worth the money and fall in love with another epi,that shouldnt bother you much.i have a 2017 gibby GT tribute and 2020 epi special and in terms of fit and finish they are damn close.

Six6String6

Reaction score
It’s really good to see several Gibson owners with Epiphone’s, and speaking highly of them. Some are a bit too hung up on the name brands.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure the Gibson has the edge over the Epi, otherwise I would not be here with this thread, but I have to say that my Tribute plus is a great guitar.
Still…..I think I too need that brand name in my collection once again.

AJK1

Reaction score
I just bought 3 new Gibson’s and they are magnificent
Just get a Gibson Standard and rock on

Reactions: JMP

Sinster

Reaction score
Would I take an Epiphone over an Gibson, yes I would. Would I take a Gibson over an Epiphone, yes I would.

Six6String6

Reaction score
Well Ferrari looks very good in Monaco this weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Nintari

Reaction score
If money isn't a problem, always go Gibson. Always.

Six6String6

Reaction score
I could never truly appreciate a tube amp in my basement hobby studio. I wanted to, but went with a Deluxe Tone Master and Boss Katana 100 MkII.

AJK1

Reaction score
I could never truly appreciate a tube amp in my basement hobby studio. I wanted to, but went with a Deluxe Tone Master and Boss Katana 100 MkII.
They are nice amps, I’ve played both quite a bit

runningonempty

Reaction score
knock on wood zero issues so far with my 2020 classic i bought new a few months ago. love the guitar and i expect it to be a permanent fixture in my collection. if my house was burning down that’s the one i would grab.

3DE0407F-CC8D-4163-A79D-94A0681DD728.jpeg

Six6String6

Reaction score
Found a great video which helped confirm my choice of the 50’s model. That takes me one more step closer. I almost called my local store to have it put aside

JMP

Reaction score
Found a great video which helped confirm my choice of the 50’s model. That takes me one more step closer. I almost called my local store to have it put aside
Yeah, that is a fantastic summary of the current USA models and the 50s Standard sure is killer.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
I've had my share of Epiphones and Gibson's. There's a reason I have more Gibson's. :cool2:

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Furthermore, if the Studio was not that “ultra modern weight relief” type, I would probably buy that. I feel that effects the sustain though.
My Gibson will be a nice solid chunk of wood even if it’s 11 pounds!
You want a Traditional.

Latest Threads