Gibson or another Epiphone?

Six6String6

Reaction score
So I have a bit of cash coming and I would love to get one of the newer Les Paul Standard 50’s to go with my Epiphone LP Tribute Plus.
The thing holding me back is there still seems to be a lot of quality issues, at least what I’m reading here.
Is it a lot of nit picking or is there really still a ton of bad product coming out of Gibson.
I really love my Epiphone, plays great, no issues with quality, should I be safe and get another one of those instead? It’s one third the price of a Gibson and I think it’s a great guitar. But I would really love that 50’s Standard.

How do you all see the quality level these days?

Sinster

Reaction score
People are more likely to post threads about poor QC than they are to give praise. So it looks like it's a huge issue.

Nit picking is subjective as well. What might bother you might not bother me.

So it comes down to you wanting to purchase a Gibson and not have buyers remorse for spending more over something that doesn't cost as much, but you can achieve the same thing from.

LuthierVandross

Reaction score
Personally since I usually work on all my guitars or find a reason to tinker, I’d go with what general specs you enjoy; neck, frets, weight, body style, color... then I’d look at the hardware; tuners, bridge, knobs, all the changeables. Lastly, I look at the electronics because this is usually the first thing I change.
If my pile of money can keep me where I feel like I’m getting what I want, I’ll go for it, regardless of the logo on the headstock.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have but one Epiphone, a 2009 '57 Reissue Junior, and was briefly interested in a JJN Gold Glory. I'd rather add to my collection of Gibsons although a new Standard is the same cost as my '19 SG and '14 J-29 together.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m a proud owner of a Epiphone Standard 50s. It was excellent out of the box. Put on new strings, adjusted action, intonation and pickups and it was wonderful.

I changed some things because I wanted to, not because I had to. It was an excellent guitar right out of the gate.

0170EAE7-F94C-45F8-915A-B2148FC3F64F.jpeg

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I think the QC issues have been overblown, especially on newer product.
Gibson is the favourite whipping-boy of the online guitar crowd. I think there’s a lot of sour grapes. So many of the complainers don’t even own one. This forum is better than 25:1 happy owners to people finding ‘fault’ with their Gibson guitars.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of the Gibsons I have, two of the used ones came with finish issues that are the fault of the previous owners. No issues at all with the other two used ones or the four new/NOS ones.

TheWelder

Reaction score
There are many people (including me) who are very happy with the new Original Series Standards. Just browse the following thread for many examples.

In Praise of the New Originals

90% of the time when someone complains about Gibson and QC issues, it's such a minor 'flaw' that I personally wouldn't be concerned about it.

Last edited:

brianbzed

Reaction score
So I have a bit of cash coming and I would love to get one of the newer Les Paul Standard 50’s to go with my Epiphone LP Tribute Plus.
The thing holding me back is there still seems to be a lot of quality issues, at least what I’m reading here.
Is it a lot of nit picking or is there really still a ton of bad product coming out of Gibson.
I really love my Epiphone, plays great, no issues with quality, should I be safe and get another one of those instead? It’s one third the price of a Gibson and I think it’s a great guitar. But I would really love that 50’s Standard.

How do you all see the quality level these days?
Epiphone?.........never!

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I hope you can go to a store and try a few.
I would say that to anyone wanting to buy any guitar.

But to the subject at hand:

Life is short. Buy a Gibson.
A Gibson is a Gibson is a Gibson.
That is all.

peobryant

Reaction score
I have both, an Epiphone '59 Les Paul, which many consider to be a top of the line Epiphone, as well as a '19 Gibson Les Paul Standard '50s and an '18 Gibson Les Paul Traditional. The Epiphone is a fantastic guitar, but I pick up my Gibsons far more often. They sound better, feel better, and I simply enjoy playing them more.

I personally think the QC complaints about Gibson are seriously overblown. A lot of them come from people who have never even owned a Gibson, or played a poorly set up and beat to death Les Paul hanging on a Guitar Center wall and base their opinions on that. Both my Gibsons (and Fender, and Epiphone Hummingbird) were purchased from Wildwood Guitars and every guitar arrived flawlessly. I've never had to return a guitar that I've bought from them, but I've read about people who have and it seems it was an extremely easy process. If you have to buy a guitar online, I don't think you can do better than Wildwood.

Six6String6

Reaction score
So many great replies so quickly. Thanks people.
I am waiting for my Long & McQuade to open up again. I would like to get in and play a few in the week it takes the government to shut it down again (damn COVID-19)

Your replies kind of echo my thoughts as I’m sure it’s more of the complaints that get aired and not so much the praise.

For sure I would be happy with another Epi but like it was mentioned up there:
A Gibson is a Gibson is a Gibson.
Im sure I will end up pulling the trigger on that 50’s Standard. Once I have saved screen grabs of anything I’m interested in, it’s usually only a matter of time.

TheWelder

Reaction score
Gibson is the favourite whipping-boy of the online guitar crowd.
This is so true. For whatever reason, people online just love to beat up on Gibson. Funny thing is, I've been gigging with Gibsons for 20 years and I've never had anyone lay criticism of my axes to my face. On the contrary, I usually receive quite a few compliments on looks and sound. But introduce the anonymity of a forum handle and avatar...and it's time to flame away! :laugh2:

Latest Threads