Gibson Nighthawk? Opinions appreciated good, bad or indifferent

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a relative who may be interested in buying a Nighthawk who asked me my opinion of them. Since I have absolutely zero knowledge of them, I figured I'd ask here. So, if you have some experience with the Nighthawk (any model), I'd appreciate your comments good, bad or indifferent.

Thanks!

Frank

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey, Frank. I think the Nighthawk is really underrated. I had a '93 Standard a few years ago and sold it to fund another purchase, which I always regretted. It has a lot of different sounds in it. I'm typically not a fan of coil tapping, but it really works on these, IMO.

Probably my favorite and the most obvious feature about the Nighthawk is the long (for a Gibson) scale. I find that it makes it just a little more comfortable for leads (for me, at least).

Here's a video I made when I got my '94 Custom a couple of months ago. I didn't really do any clean tones as that's not how I use this guitar, but at least it will give you some dirt sound examples.

Hope that helps!

David

jvin248

Reaction score

It's a cool guitar. An attempt by Gibson to win over Strat and Tele players. Also look into the L6s that was built as a Strat fighter. So these play, sound, and feel more like Fender. Versatile switching with many tones available.

Market problem was/is they are not from the 50s, so more difficult to sell. Same problem the LP upgrades for headstock strength improvements dont go over well.

warmachine

Reaction score
The neck on an 1970’s L6S is very narrow. I recall handling either a Blueshawk or Nighthawk and it was full and rounded.

midiman56

Reaction score
The Nighthawk is a great gigging guitar. Lots of tonal variety and very light! An underrated Gibson, for sure!

BigTim

Reaction score
They play awesome. They have a smaller body than a les paul but they play like a dream. I had a blueshawk and it is just a semihollow version of the night hawk.

moreles

Reaction score
Nighthawks are great, IMO. I like everything about them. Used, particularly, they are exceptionally good value for money. I have no idea why they are not more popular than some of the "lesser" LP models. Maybe the longer scale is a turn-off for some, though it doesn't seem to hurt Strat sales.

wmachine

Reaction score
I think it is a decent model, so it just comes down to preference. You like it or you don't. Just remember rare and valuable don't automatically go hand in hand. Unusual usually means unpopular. But that can be a draw too.
Imposters have met with little success, for good reason. Why buy a Fender that is like a Gibson, or vice-versa.
I have a Fender Toronado GT. A surprisingly good Fender that thinks it is a Gibson. I like it, but never expect it have any popularity or big value.