Gibson new hardshell cases

30secs

Reaction score
For those who got the new cases with the square latches, Faded red plush and heavier (one weighted 15lbs), how do you find them compared to the last run (brown red)?

And another question, do you think the custom shop case is as protective or just historic and the new cases are superior? It's quite smaller and padded weirdly.

30secs

Reaction score
Yes they are, like PRS! I couldn't find much info about the new cases, not even Trogleys??

Also anyone has thoughts on the cs historic vs the modern ones?

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I didn't know they made them in different countries..!
Yup! The cases can be from three different countries, there’s a made in Canada, made in China, and made in Costa Rica one and they’re each different. I don’t know why they haven’t centralized it.

I used to hear the made in Canada were the best, but seems the Chinese made ones are pretty solid. I briefly held a Costa Rican one in the store, that looked nice too but much heavier than the one made in China.
Regardless, I’m sure good and bad cases come from each place, prob need to assess them on a “case by case” basis. :rofl:
This was an interesting video, showing how they can differ. Was a bit disappointed I got a newer made in China one, but felt a lot better after I watched this.

30secs

Reaction score
Checked out my cases, the new square latches and super plush faded red are from Costa Rica. I have three other hard cases that are inferior quality and they're from Canada.

The Costa Rica cases are superb, I just wish they were lighter.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bonamassa Black Beauty case is Chinese.
My '19 Standard is TKL
I don't see the defects that he's talking about.
The Chinese case does seem to be made more cheaply, but neither case is bad.

The Chinese case stitched banding is a solid plastic/PVC material, while the TKL seems to be covered with the same material as the case.
The Chinese case does not have as much texture, but that may be specific to the Bonamassa case.

These were taken to show the guitar, but they do show some of the case details

JBBRidge.jpg
JBNut.jpg
JB_Body1.jpg
JBCase_2.jpg
JBCase_1.jpg
JB_HS_Frt.jpg

gball

Reaction score
I have all three. My 2016 Traditional came in a Costa Rican one, and that is the nicest case I have ever gotten from Gibson. Heavy but worth the weight. The Chinese one is nice and sturdy, just a notch below the CR. The Canadian ones are a little flimsy in comparison and the stitching is not as even.

jskidder

Reaction score
I have one of each current case, all from the last 2 years - Chinese, Canadian TKL, and Costa Rican. Of the bunch, the Costa Rican case, while heavy, is by far the nicest in terms of finish/construction and fit/protection. The older TKL cases were pretty nice, but the latest ones are just trash and IMO the worst of the 3 current options.

And all 3 are more sturdy and protective than the Lifton-style historic cases. Those are really just for show and to appear historically accurate. I wouldn't rely on them for any kind of real protection for your instrument.

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
Here is a reply I wrote several weeks ago:

"The TKL case is the weakest link. My 2019 came in this case and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. It is poorly constructed and seems sloppy in its assembly. Latches are dull and work hard to even work as they should. TKL went way to far cutting corners - very surprised Gibson would approve of this case.

The China case is much better than TKL. The inside of the case offers more padding & is much softer also. The handle and latch hardware are much much better than the TKL. The China case weighs slightly more than the TKL but not by much. The hardware is polished and well done.

The Costa Rica case is by miles the superior hard case. The hardware is very robust and closes with smooth authority. The case easily weighs twice the TKL. The handle is large, much better made, and feels outstanding. The case is also larger in length than the China case. This is the case to have.

Here is a comparison from China to Costa Rica case. Costa Rica case on bottom.

PHOTO_20201223_012104.jpg PHOTO_20201223_012140.jpg PHOTO_20201223_012122.jpg

Non-rabbit

Reaction score
I got one of the square latch cases with my new LP Classic and I'm very impressed with it. The last Gibson cases I was really aware of were the old black ones with the white interior. This new one is better in every way. The red interior looks awesome and the whole case feels like great quality. The handle is a lot more comfortable too. I really like the look of it. Actually I find myself being quite precious about it - like I want a case to protect my case!

mjross

Reaction score
I got one of the square latch cases with my new LP Classic and I'm very impressed with it. The last Gibson cases I was really aware of were the old black ones with the white interior. This new one is better in every way. The red interior looks awesome and the whole case feels like great quality. The handle is a lot more comfortable too. I really like the look of it. Actually I find myself being quite precious about it - like I want a case to protect my case!
Yeah, I like it better than most of the Gibson Les Paul case offerings of the last few years. Just wish the hell you did not need a crane to pick it up. However, appears that Gibson is really trying to up their game.

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have been fortunate to buy a couple new LP Standards.
Would have to rate the square latch case superior. Everything about it, from the way it latches and unlatches, to the sturdiness/perceived protection afforded seems much nicer.

In regard to the Lifton case. It is modeled after the old cases and looks nice, but short on padding and protection. I wonder if that is why they ship the foam headstock supports with the Custom Shop and Reissue guitars that come in the Lifton?

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a case. Lots of pics and videos up thread :)

whatshisname

Reaction score
I just recieved my case today, fully expecting it to be from China, but they sent me Canadian TKL. Light as a feather, too. I just hope that that doesn't translate to it being flimsy...

Latest Threads