Gibson neck please help

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
Adjust the damn thing... it’s pretty simple. You like some neck relief, so add some. If you’re incapable of adjusting the truss rod, I suppose you can pay someone to do it. This is basic guitar setup stuff, so I’m not sure why we need two threads.

MSB

Reaction score
so you paid someone to work on your guitar, then YOU messed with it? I think I found your problem...

Adamaxcess

Reaction score
Adjust the damn thing... it’s pretty simple. You like some neck relief, so add some. If you’re incapable of adjusting the truss rod, I suppose you can pay someone to do it. This is basic guitar setup stuff, so I’m not sure why we need two threads.
Its not that, im just thinking as my action is already very low if i go adjusting the truss rod for relief i may run the risk of it fretting out

MSB

Reaction score
No your reading my post wrong
looks that way. The problem with setups is that each person is different and what feels "right" for them. Obviously what you've got doesn't feel right, so you know what you don't like. There are thousands of videos on youtube and articles online about guitar adjustments. They are pretty basic and take very few tools and once you get a handle on it, is pretty simple, but one step leads to another.

Depending on the relationship with your luthier (i.e. long time customer or brand new), I'd have a conversation with him(her) and explain what you're feeling. If they can't/won't help you, then I'd move on to someone else. My experience is that a luthier that doesn't care if you're happy isn't one I want to do business with.

or...
since you aren't happy with things as they are, I'd watch some videos and read some articles and mess with it yourself. Worst case you make it worse and you take it to someone to get setup.

It seems like you are close, you just need a nudge in the right direction to get over the hump and most of the guys here know what they're talking about, so keep that in mind if you get frustrated.

Adamaxcess

Reaction score
looks that way. The problem with setups is that each person is different and what feels "right" for them. Obviously what you've got doesn't feel right, so you know what you don't like. There are thousands of videos on youtube and articles online about guitar adjustments. They are pretty basic and take very few tools and once you get a handle on it, is pretty simple, but one step leads to another.

Depending on the relationship with your luthier (i.e. long time customer or brand new), I'd have a conversation with him(her) and explain what you're feeling. If they can't/won't help you, then I'd move on to someone else. My experience is that a luthier that doesn't care if you're happy isn't one I want to do business with.

or...
since you aren't happy with things as they are, I'd watch some videos and read some articles and mess with it yourself. Worst case you make it worse and you take it to someone to get setup.

It seems like you are close, you just need a nudge in the right direction to get over the hump and most of the guys here know what they're talking about, so keep that in mind if you get frustrated.
Thanks for the reply much appreciated

Reactions: MSB

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its not that, im just thinking as my action is already very low if i go adjusting the truss rod for relief i may run the risk of it fretting out
So what did you want from us? It clearly needs an adjustment if there is ZERO relief. If you add relief, it will raise the action.

Do yourself a solid and watch a few setup vids on YouTube. You should ideally understand the basics if you play guitar.

Subterfuge

Reaction score
Ive had the axcess for about 10 months had it set up when i got it and no drama. Took all the strings off 2 weeks ago to clean the fretboard and when i re strung it the neck/trussrod must have moved because the strings where pretty much flat to the board and i had fretbuzz which i thought oh balls!

BUT you couldnt hear any buzz through the amp, the guitar was still singing and the strings felt nice and slinky so as a shredder i thought what ever has happend i preffer it happy days! Done a few more gigs changed the strings and it happend again this time too much buzz on the high E and B so i took it to a tech. Set it up same as before Estandard same strings elixir 9- 42 and he did a fab job. Action is low withought buzz raised the tailpiece a little to get a aslinky ish feel and it sounds amazing. But when stood up with it now the board feels like its too straight, and after checking for neck relief holding down on 1st and 12th ive found that there is no neck relief there at all

My question is can a neck be to straight??
raise the bridge thumbwheels half a turn, does the buzz go away ? problem solved

Wrench66

Reaction score
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but you don’t hold a string down on the 1st and 12th fret. Isn’t it the 1st and 16th? Then check relief at the 7th?

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but you don’t hold a string down on the 1st and 12th fret. Isn’t it the 1st and 16th? Then check relief at the 7th?
Roughly.
I just capo the 1st and hold down at the last.
Honestly, I can't feel a difference playing between .008 and .012 relief.
Published specs are starting points... .010 relief, 4/64 action at the 17th... 1/8" down on the pickups.
That'll get it playing nicely.
Actually, a good starting point on relief... *IF* your frets are flat... is to capo the 1st and adjust relief so you JUST get a clear tone plucking the string between the 1st and fretted note all the way top to bottom.

THEN adjust it to where YOU want it.

Adamaxcess

Reaction score
All sorted playing like a dream now! How do i deleat this thread guys?

dro

Reaction score
Roughly.
I just capo the 1st and hold down at the last.
Honestly, I can't feel a difference playing between .008 and .012 relief.
Published specs are starting points... .010 relief, 4/64 action at the 17th... 1/8" down on the pickups.
That'll get it playing nicely.
Actually, a good starting point on relief... *IF* your frets are flat... is to capo the 1st and adjust relief so you JUST get a clear tone plucking the string between the 1st and fretted note all the way top to bottom.

THEN adjust it to where YOU want it.

I play .005 relief. I check relief and intonation every time I change strings. .012 relief will make it feel like knives cutting my fingers.