Gibson Murphy Lab Greenie

Axeman_uk

Reaction score
Wonder how much of the costs is to meet Kirk 40k ? If you pay another 10k they will throw in a Gibson murphy lab lol

To be honest I’d just want the guitar not bothered about meeting Kirk I prefer the two previous owners.
The kicker is I’d have to pay 10%
sales tax and then import duty just to bring it back to the uk.
Here’s hoping they release a more sensibly priced version.

Last edited:

rich85

Reaction score
Gibson needs to make 50 of the Jimmy Page #1 and offer the same deal.

But the price will make this one look cheap.

I can see this being a new thing for Gibson though. I guess if they are going to do guitars they have already done a Murphy Lab AFD would be too obvious to do next.

The 2 things I have learned from this is that Gibson have found a new price they can charge. And that from a lot of comments I have seen this whole thing is very alienating to Gibson fans who were ready to buy this even at a high price of 20k. I do think they should have announced 100 with an Indian Rosewood board for international sales and that will actually go to dealers.

Just my opinion, this is the 2nd Gibson Greeny to come and already be gone. So there will definitely be a third. I guess you could say there are already 3 versions now, 2 aged and 1 VOS. I would like to think that buyers will start losing interest in these eventually but being the most famous Les Paul Gibson will never have a problem selling another batch of new ones at a stupid price, because omg it’s Greeny!…….

Guru Meditation

Reaction score
What's crazy was about 15 years ago the supposed Greenie Kirk has now was for sale on eBay for about $50,000.00...I told Kirk about it and he passed on Greenie saying he doesn't buy guitars used by famous people...

Seems like a bargain. The real one was for sale for 1.2 mil when I was holding it...Yikes! View attachment 637009

Both prices were never true. Especially that $1.2m figure which was basically a "deterrent" for time wasters afaik.

I was offered 9 2208 back in 2007 or so just before the world financial crisis and vintage guitars bubble crash, didn't agree with the asking price made a counter-offer, wasn't accepted, moved on.

Personally I'm very happy that Kirk is the owner. Never understood why so many people make fun of him. He's a legend, has worked -and still does- his ass off for decades, is a great & humble guy, monster player who wrote some of the greatest riffs ever. More power to him.

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Earlier I joked about them doing another version in a few years, "more accurate than this one", then an "even more accurate" one a few years after that.

But they could milk the Slash out of Greenie. A barely faded one with light wear that matches the way it was back when Peter played it. A little more faded and worn to match Moore era.

Then a Super Deluxe edition of all 3 for a quarter million. Kirk takes you to visit Peter's and Gary's graves, takes you to a bar fight where you get scars that match Gary's, gives you a hit of bad acid, and gives you a Jheri curl.

USA and Epi non-aged versions of them all. (Fender does "Road Worn" Mexican relics that sell for less than US Standard models, so maybe Gibson could expand into "template" aging and also offer aged USA and even Epi models.)

A pre-Peter NOS version with bright color, a matching set of knobs and the neck pickup the right way around. Two versions of that -- one with the magnet flipped for those who believe it was a factory error, another with in-phase pickups for those who believe the flip happened later when the pickup was repaired. (Sure, the in-phase version is just an R9, but it'll have a special serial number.)

A "Future Tribute" or "Kirk's Dream" with EMG's, Access heel, and a Floyd.

Last edited:

goldtop0

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen a thread on here that's at 213 posts after only 2 days........sheesh!!

PauloQS

Reaction score
  1. The $50k is not for just guitar, but dinner, 1st class tickets for two, hotel etc
  2. There were rumors of a regular run of these not at the $50k, but around $10k-$15k. Not hand signed and with Indian rosewood instead of Brazilian.
  3. Scalpers, particularly the YouTube dude, can’t get their hand on them. Great news. He would probably try benefit from all the perks, “document” the guitar, then sell it for the same $50k or more and not include 1st class tickets, hotel and etc.
  4. Gibson should not cater to people buying guitars as an investment. If you bought a limited run and Gibson re-releases a limited run, that’s their prerogative. They shouldn’t go, “you know, Bob bought a guitar similar to this five years ago, maybe we should can this idea not to dilute the value of Bob’s collection.” That’s ludicrous to suggest, much less to expect.

No this guitar isn’t for me. Even if it is true that a regular production $10k-$15k is also going to be released, that guitar isn’t for me either. I’m happy with my regular production R9. However, I don’t see the problem of Gibson selling stuff above my willingness to pay. Maybe it were the years in school with a $200 Samick Greg Bennett Avion 3 (LP copy) with picture flamed top, but I’m not offended by high prices.

Thank you for attending my TedTalk.

Quicklick

Reaction score
I have a Gibson CC1 Melvyn Franks Les Paul . I have A B’d this guitar with the Real Greeny when it was in the UK , the sound was very very close maybe because I have Bare Knuckle PG blues pickups in it . The cc1 run of guitars were different to R9’s of which I’ve owned a few. I bought it new at macari’s in London 11 years ago , It cost £4250. Its been gigged constantly in that time mainly because it’s the best sounding guitar I have . I’ve played Greeny when Gary had it and the cc1 sounds the same . I don’t think this $50,000 guitar would be better than mine

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm holding out for a replica of the stolen Ronnie Montrose 59 Les Paul that Gary Moore had and refused to give back.
A "Stripe" replica would be nice,.... I have a Montrose CC28 which is a awesome guitar.
IMG_0593.jpg

tjnugent

Reaction score
I bet it'll be $20,000. And probably all sold out so you have to pay $40k on reverb. I think I'd rather just have a collectors choice version for the price
The Greenie Tribute sells for a staggering $50,0000

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So 2 things....

1. AFAIK Kirk only got one replica proof and then Gibson is controlling the remaining 50 he couldn't get one of those. Plus not sure about taking a braz model overseas. Could get complicated.

View attachment 636888
from the reading I did, for the UK you can personally bring an instrument with braz rosewood in. but posting commercially is a no no.

GearHo

Reaction score
I cant wait to see Gibson get 50 of these to look alike, they havent done it so far.

Of the five Rossingtons I have owned over the years, none looked alike, not even close. My Montrose has a very cool top, doesnt look anything like Ronnie Montrose guitar, nor does it even look like Mudface's CC either.

So will Gibson pull a bunch of similar tops, and try to replicate 50 to look like Greeny?

Chances are they will call them Greeny, but they will not look like it.

Clint

Reaction score
Since the Greenies will have different pickups and it appears that Gibson is dumping the current Custombuckers, I think they'll be touting the "more historically accurate" Alnico 2 magnets as a way to jack up prices and sell more guitars.
Suddenly, everyone will be raving about the 2023 Historics as sounding the best with the "newer and more historically accurate Alnico 2 pickups."
Sound familiar?

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cant wait to see Gibson get 50 of these to look alike, they havent done it so far.

Of the five Rossingtons I have owned over the years, none looked alike, not even close. My Montrose has a very cool top, doesnt look anything like Ronnie Montrose guitar, nor does it even look like Mudface's CC either.

So will Gibson pull a bunch of similar tops, and try to replicate 50 to look like Greeny?

Chances are they will call them Greeny, but they will not look like it.
This is true,... but they have had since CC1 came out to collect or select out some better matching tops.....not saying Gibson would put that much effort in it,...but they could have. I would like to see how close any of them actually are.....and who gets to pick which one goes to who?

Last edited:

Streetglide

Reaction score
My mother used to collect Noritake plates. Never understood why but it was her thing. If spending $50K for the guitar that makes you happy, go for it. That kind of jingle would get me a sano C5 Z06 and leave enough left over for a very decent '16 60th and a Two Rock amp. Now yer talking!

Attachments

• lester san jose.jpg
    lester san jose.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 6

lespaul1648

Reaction score
Just got an email advertising this release. It doesn't even list the price, just says to call the Gibson Garage for pricing.

I can only assume that means the deal is too good to advertise.

Guitar

Yeah...if you consider $50,000 a good deal.

tmgcustom

Reaction score
Both prices were never true. Especially that $1.2m figure which was basically a "deterrent" for time wasters afaik.

I was offered 9 2208 back in 2007 or so just before the world financial crisis and vintage guitars bubble crash, didn't agree with the asking price made a counter-offer, wasn't accepted, moved on.

Personally I'm very happy that Kirk is the owner. Never understood why so many people make fun of him. He's a legend, has worked -and still does- his ass off for decades, is a great & humble guy, monster player who wrote some of the greatest riffs ever. More power to him.
Well, the guy that let me hold the guitar is a friend of mine, and he was brokering it for the owner, and the asking price at the time was 1.2mil. It may not have sold for that, but that was the asking at the time.. He is also one of the most respected Burst brokers in the country, so I wouldn't think he was lying to me..

Latest Threads