Gibson Modern collection price drop

Coxon2323

Reaction score
Hi all, how are we doing?

A basic question for you all..

What do you think is the likelihood fo the price of these guitars dropping?

here is a link to what I'am referring to..

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/USA8LG109/SG-Standard

They currently go for £1199, but do you think they will go down later in the year, or because it is not a yearly modern they will stay?

arcticsg

Reaction score
They would have sold more of that model if they had included a hard case with it!

I bet CME is p*ssed that their CME Exclusive SG Standard run came with that crappy softcase instead of a real hard case as Standards have always been shipped with (minus 2016 mistake and was promptly corrected the next year)!

I would have bought the basic SG Standard and at least one of CME Exclusives if they had came with the hard case.

Oh, and I foresee prices dropping on this model, the SG Standard. At least until they get smart and add the hardcase.

Just my humble opinion of course! ;)

Coxon2323

Reaction score
yeah fair points. I actually quite like the look of the soft case they come with. But you are right in saying they are overpriced for not having a hard case... RRP should be £1000

zombiwoof

Reaction score
Those SG Standards with the large PG went for at least a $100 more than that a couple years back, as I recall.
Al

Colnago1

Reaction score
Hi all, how are we doing?

A basic question for you all..

What do you think is the likelihood fo the price of these guitars dropping?

here is a link to what I'am referring to..

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/USA8LG109/SG-Standard

They currently go for £1199, but do you think they will go down later in the year, or because it is not a yearly modern they will stay?
Gibson no longer uses years to identify their models. This means that there is no need to discount their guitars at the end of the year because next year's is the same guitar with no model year difference. Running changes will occur at any time, not necessarily when everyone else do.
So, no, I don't think these guitars will get discounted out or prices will drop. They'll only go up from here.

moreles

Reaction score
They started out with lower price points, so expecting a price drop so soon, if ever, is unrealistic. This was a bankrupt company. I doubt that they want to powerslide into price reductions beyond the fairly substantial drop already instituted to create a new value-for-money equation. IMO, the higher-level Gibsons are pretty expensive, but the main models are not, though I guess the SG is perhaps questionable, according to some.

arcticsg

Reaction score
They started out with lower price points, so expecting a price drop so soon, if ever, is unrealistic. This was a bankrupt company. I doubt that they want to powerslide into price reductions beyond the fairly substantial drop already instituted to create a new value-for-money equation. IMO, the higher-level Gibsons are pretty expensive, but the main models are not, though I guess the SG is perhaps questionable, according to some.
Yes, I'd be that some. ;)

And yes, the SG Special, SG Junior, and the SG Standard are all more expensive and higher in price than previous years.

Now the Standard has gone on a real change. And it is lessor for it IMHO. Either way, the Standards are more expensive. The flagship Standard has been outfitted with pair of 490s which had always been saved for the lessor line the Faded and Specials, and has dropped the hard case for the soft case (even though the new Juniors and Specials get the hardcase) so the can say they're selling them cheaper. The 2018 Standard with hard case @ $1,539 was only $40 more than the 2019/Modern Sg Standard @$1,499. Add a hard case and it's more expensive than last years Standard. I would take the 2018 SG Standard over the 2019 SG Standard anyday.

The Standard '61 is an odd duck and not sure why it's marketed as such. While the neck tenon is the lower style, and has the small wing like the '61 reissue, it left crucial elements out. The 61R and 61T, pickups are the same pickups that came out on the previous year 2018 SG Standard. '61 reissues and latter Customs usually always start with the 57 Classic and/or 57 Classic Plus. Also, the head shape is the same small size with the crown in the same lower position it has been for all the Standards from '66 on. The '61 reissues came with the larger Custom head with the crown higher up.

There's other differences, but my main question is why did they intentionally muddy the waters. It certainly isn't a '61 reissue, which I notice they were careful not to call it as such, but still, pretty cheesy on their part. I would take a true 61 Reissue or SG Original over the SG Standard 61 anyday.

I figure Gibson don't care about some of us older SG Standard fans, and are just out to market them like a new pair of jeans or something. :naughty:

Last edited:

LPCM&BFG

Reaction score
Mah, Gibson has re-positioned itself upwards in the guitar market and is probably still riding the wave of "positive vibes" since the departure of HJ. The recent "play authentic" / Dean lawsuit gave it a slight speed-bump (although odds are the haters saying they would not buy a new Gibson were probably not going to anyway).

At the same time, seeing the number of "NGD" threads on here and in other guitar forums, people seem happy to pay the prices being asked, especially for the 50s and 60s Tribute LPs (it's what they always wanted....). I have also noticed it had an impact on my local used market, with the prices for a 10 year old SG Faded in "ok" condition doubling in the period of only a few weeks.

On the downside, it is a bit crap for people aspiring to own a Gibson, but are of more limited financial means. But maybe that was the point, to make a Gibson more "special", (and hence the stupid "play authentic" video)? In the current lineup, the least expensive SG is the Tribute at USD 1'099.- and the least expensive Les Paul is a Junior Tribute DC at USD 899.-.

Gone are the lower price point instruments like the SGJ, Firebird Zero, M2 and S series, or even the entry-level SG Faded etc. If you want to pay those lower prices for a Gibson-shaped guitar, one has to go to Epiphone.

As part of this new brand positioning, if you go to legacy.gibson.com to look at the previous years' models, the pricing information has been stripped out.

Last edited:

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Time will tell, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had to blow some out down the line.

Coxon2323

Reaction score
I have recently come into a bit of money, it is over a grand.
I was thinking of going for the new Gibson SG Standard and paying full price or waiting a bit for a good used one to make itself known.
The only problem is it might be a while before I find the SG I want. (Batwing pick guard, rounded neck, cherry colour.)
What do people think my best option and what I should do, thanks.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Look for a used one in the classifieds. They usually turn up with a little patience.

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
Forget the Standard and get a Classic.

Looks like someone here has one available...

Coxon2323

Reaction score
Forget the Standard and get a Classic.

Looks like someone here has one available...

Thanks but I'd to play one first.
My heart is pretty much set on the 2019 SG as I have tried it and thought it was great. But I am always on the look out for goo offers for used SG's.

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
Thanks but I'd to play one first.
My heart is pretty much set on the 2019 SG as I have tried it and thought it was great. But I am always on the look out for goo offers for used SG's.
Fair enough.
Get the Standard that you always wanted and maybe play a Classic later on and you may find that having one SG with humbuckers and a second SG with P-90’s will complement each other really well.

Coxon2323

Reaction score
yeah thanks for the info. Can't wait to get the Standard! Do you have one?

Coxon2323

Reaction score
cool, So how do you think the new Standards shape up against your 70s SG, has quality gone up or down?