Gibson "Midnight Special"

lachlan

Reaction score
I was perusing the internet for Gibsons failed line of guitars in the 70's and i came along the Midnight Special. I am aware Paul Stanley used one in 1975 on the "Midnight Special" television show and I would like to follow up on this guitar. So just a few questions?

a ) How much would these guitars sell for at the moment.
b ) Have there been any re-issues, Epi models etc?
c ) What sort of tone do they produce?
d ) Does anybody have one of these guitars to sell?
e ) Can anyone give a short history/pics of this guitar?

Cheers.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh315/lachlanmornard/1975gibsonl6sdeluxe.jpg

BMS

Reaction score
They are exactly like the L6 Deluxe (Not L6S) except they have a bolt on neck and the headstock is natural. Not black. It was a limited run. Don't know exactly. Some sources say 500 and others say 1000. I think it's more. One was selling locally here for $800. That should be the going price, maybe a little more if there are in fact only 500 or 1000.

Don't know what they cost at the time. Probably around $250 - $300.

No re-issues were made. But Ibanez and El Degas made lawsuit copies. Actually I think the El Degas was an L6S version.

It's all maple with Bill Lawrence P/U's. The combination sounds good, but it wasn't anything special.

I have an L6 Deluxe. Not for sale. :( But they do come up once in awhile. Keep looking. Here's a pic;

circusboy28

Reaction score
I vaguely remember those - I haven't seen one in years. Gibson has made a lot of short run models over the years.

I just realized that you're up in Qld. Mate, you could get in contact with Tym Guitars in the Valley, they seem to have a lot of connections for obscure guitars. I have no affiliation with them, BTW.

lachlan

Reaction score
Haha, yeah there the ones near Gabrielle Ocotecho's shop. Ive visted Tym's and there was a caravan shaped guitar custom something, pretty sure its them if i remember properly,

sangandongo

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I bought mine for $300 four years ago. It was my first Gibson. Traded it for a '79 Rickenbacker 450/12.

Latest Threads