Gibson Memphis - Hide Glue (2) ???

bum

Reaction score
Honestly to me it was not a selling point and not really something I even thought about, it was just on the listing, I think - I am certain it said hide glue, and 99% certain it said neck pocket only.

If two bits of wood stay attached, I call that a win, whether it's with hide glue or duct tape :laugh2:

grumphh

Reaction score
Hide glue?

(Probably only funny for people who do not understand spanish)

CRGuitar

Reaction score
Hi, new to the Les Paul forum as I've been an avowed strat/tele guy forever. But I have had many Gibsons as well and just purchased a 2019 59 ES 335 VOS model. Hide glue was a consideration for me and here's why...

I live in the Denver area and have been to WIldwood guitars many times (my wife and bank account can attest). One time a few years ago I went there to look at 335's. I played some recent '58, '63 and '59 reissues and the clear winner (by a long shot) was the '59. Of course, you could chalk that up to just the differences in specific guitars which I normally would but one of the guys there was telling me that very consistently the '59's sounded better. As many of you know, Wildwood sees, plays and sells a lot of Gibson's best instruments. The guy was saying he believed it had to do with the different center block used for the '59 as well as the hot hide glue used throughout the guitar (specific to the '59). I have no idea if this is true but I thought it was interesting. All of those guitars had the same pickups, electronics, nitro VOS finishes etc but the '59 sounded different and it sounded a lot better (to my ears). Had a more rich, clear sound and it just sounded like a good, golden era semi-hollow Gibson.

I have played an original '58 335 as well as plenty of early to mid 60's ones too so I'm familiar with what they sound and feel like. The tone was there for sure on the '59 reissue. Of course it's pretty difficult to cop the feel of old wood so no, it didn't feel like an old guitar. But I was impressed for sure. Hope the '59 335 reissue I just bought has that hot hide glue tone... :facepalm:

Latest Threads