Gibson Memphis - Hide Glue (2) ???

kewl kat

Reaction score
I have been trying to get ES-335 information, and saw this link posted here, but it does not look like after the copious jawboning, and a little bickering, that anything truly got found out! :cheers2:

Does anyone know if the 2018 ES-335 models (some were actually made in 2017) had hide glue throughout, like the Historics (Reissues, Standards, etc), or was it partial hide only?

While we are at it, did the full length truss rod come with them, minus the condom tubing?

If this got covered after the below link if someone could please point me that way I would be very grateful. Maybe this will help someone else too that is trying to piece together the puzzle.

Last edited:

kewl kat

Reaction score
Unfortunately, that's what it would be, a 100% guess. There is nary a word regarding Hide Glue, or Truss Rods for that matter, in any of those Gibson Link's posts. I have done a bit of homework, and other than tidbits and inklings of information, Gibson has largely struck out.

I am as good at guessing as the next gent, but when I am laying down my hard earned dollars, a little quality information helps. Hopefully someone that has one, and or knows of someone who worked at the Memphis facility, can chime in with something verifiably tangible.

mdubya

Reaction score
The Historic Reissues would have hide glue, spruce bracing, and vintage (no sheath) truss rod.

I believe all models have the truss rod. My 2015 ES Les Paul has the truss rod, maybe the bracing, and titebond glue (obviously not a Reissue).

kewl kat

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 2018 ES-335 models (some were actually made in 2017) had hide glue throughout, like the Historics (Reissues, Standards, etc), or was it partial hide only?

Yup. That much I got covered already.

What I want to know is what is going on with the hide glue and truss rod with the rest of the herd, including 2019's.

For some reason Gibson is very tight lipped about this. Hopefully someone who works there might see this post.

mdubya

Reaction score

timichango

Reaction score
According to what I’ve been able to dig up about my 2019 ES-339, those were Titebond. Dunno if they’d use different glue on the 335s vs the 339s, but figured I’d mention it FWIW.

kewl kat

Reaction score

The link is for 2016 models. They show Tightbond for the neck glue. No clue if any of that applies to 2018 or beyond.

The Memphis factory was sold I believe in April of 2019, that is why I included the 2017-2019 range regarding completion dates.

And, yes. Gibson has been very tight lipped. And, we might just have to wait for someone that worked there to find out.

mdubya

Reaction score
The USA spec models use Titebond.

The USA spec models have the historic truss rod.

kewl kat

Reaction score
When you get old, there are no slow days. Each day goes by quicker.

I had a chemistry prof in high school that said:

" Life is like a freight train, it keeps keeps going faster, and faster, and faster".

I had no clue what he was talking about then.

By chance do you have a screenshot or link regarding those comments for the 2018 models?

If so, much obliged.

RufusTelestrat

Reaction score
Well I will wait searching the world for the answer one tee shot at a time.

efstop

rude and low IQ'd
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't hide the glue, and don't glue your hide.
Words to live by if you're a luthier.

Gar

Reaction score
If hide glue is used they usually state it as a selling point. I think hide glue is reserved for historic spec models. There was some years I'm sure where they used hide glue on neck joints only. I have a 2014 Trini Lopez and I am sure I read at the time the specs being all tight bond. Don't quote me on any of this, it's purely from memory but may jog someones memory or annoy someone enough to correct me.

bum

Reaction score
As I understand it my 2016 Memphis reissue uses hide glue for the neck joint.
I was told this when I bought it, it's a Memphis custom shop VOS 63 reissue with nylon nut and saddles, so they tried to be period correct.
My neck has not fallen off, so I can confirm, hide glue is the best and titebond leaks tones like a sieve. Gorilla glue is best for sustain however, this is just common sense.

mdubya

Reaction score
As I understand it my 2016 Memphis reissue uses hide glue for the neck joint.
I was told this when I bought it, it's a Memphis custom shop VOS 63 reissue with nylon nut and saddles, so they tried to be period correct.
My neck has not fallen off, so I can confirm, hide glue is the best and titebond leaks tones like a sieve. Gorilla glue is best for sustain however, this is just common sense.

It should have it.

My 2018 '59 RI (supposedly) has hide glue throughout. I have a couple of titebond models, too (330, 335, ES LP). Your '63 RI should have the spruce bracing and all of the latest and greatest "improvements" Memphis made before moving back to Nashville.

IMHO, they can market anything they want as hide glue. Is it the same stuff used on the real Golden Era guitars? :dunno: :hmm:

hmmm...

bum

Reaction score
Honestly to me it was not a selling point and not really something I even thought about, it was just on the listing, I think - I am certain it said hide glue, and 99% certain it said neck pocket only.

If two bits of wood stay attached, I call that a win, whether it's with hide glue or duct tape :laugh2:

Latest Threads