Gibson lumber supplier?

afireinside

Reaction score
Long shot. Any idea who Gibson or Heritage for that matter use to supply their maple tops?

I am in Michigan and my wifes house (rent to my mom) has 2 huge healthy old growth maple trees front and back. Trunks would take 3 to 4 people to spread arms to connect. And 40ish+ feet tall. I can get a true diameter next time im that way

Just curious if anyone would harvest these?

ARandall

Reaction score
Talk to your local timber supplier.
Generally speaking though, they would be getting in precut lengths, not felling trees. But they might know smaller mills that would do a bit more of 'everything'

judson

Reaction score
read that there a huge supply harvested, cut trees just sitting available but the mills have been closed or slowed during the past year and getting them milled is the reason for the crazy lumber prices....they are trying to catch up

maybe a small local local guy could cut them ...getting milled might be the problem depending on your area

Brian N

Reaction score
Long shot. Any idea who Gibson or Heritage for that matter use to supply their maple tops?

I am in Michigan and my wifes house (rent to my mom) has 2 huge healthy old growth maple trees front and back. Trunks would take 3 to 4 people to spread arms to connect. And 40ish+ feet tall. I can get a true diameter next time im that way

Just curious if anyone would harvest these?
Doubtful. Timber suppliers harvest dozens of trees at a time out in the open woods. They bring lots of specialized equipment out there to cut to length, shear off branches, and get it into its raw form. To come and cut down just two would not be worth their time. On top of that, in the woods they can let the tree fall anywhere, and at a house they would have to worry about destroying property. Plus getting all that equipment into such a confined space.

Sorry, but no one is going to cut those trees down for you. You're going to have to pay to get it done, it will be expensive, and you'll be lucky to get 20 bucks for the wood in the end.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Call Gibson and tell them you have Richlite trees they can have.

:slash:

redking

Reaction score
There are timber dealers who get paid very well to scout the legal logging areas and find the best specimens, tag and geolocate them and set the harvesting schedule years in advance. They are not going to visit you back yard. Maybe you can find a small local outfit to bespoke log them, but at best they will "not charge you" for removing the tree from your property in exchange for keeping the timber (compared to a tree cutting service that will charge you a couple thousand bucks to remove the tree). It is extraordinarily risky, difficult and costly to take down a large tree that is surrounded by homes, vehicles, power lines, etc. compared to doing out in the forest where they have their equipment and mill close by.

Latest Threads