Gibson LP with defects returned to GC store and later listed in the same condition

darkvoice

Reaction score
I recently bough a pre-owned Gibson LP guitar, which was listed in GREAT condition. Pretty much bought it unseen, as listing had only one low res frontal photo in which no details were visible.

When guitar arrived, I discovered several serious defects, guitar clearly was not in Great condition. In addition to wear scratches and dings there there were areas with finish loss (to bare wood), paint overspray, etc. It was in decent player condition. I took it to a GC store, explained the issues, the person who processed return agreed, even refunded shipping.

Then later I see this guitar listed by the store in the same Great condition with same single bad photo.

I understand that grading used guitars is subjective, but to me this is a recipe for another return. Why details of the defects not added to description? Why not take few more decent photos, so the potential buyers can decide for themselves?

I bet next person will buy the guitar and return in when they see condition.

Don't get get me wrong, most of my purchases from Guitar Center have been successful and if there are issues - their employees are quite accommodating and always resolve to my satisfaction.
My comment is about how they list their gear - there is certainly room for improvement here.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Crow Town

Reaction score
Yeah, some very poor practices. I've had mostly good experience buying used from them.....maybe 5 guitars over the years.

But I just shipped back a Wolfgang Special Stealth on Monday. Price was pretty fair and when I looked closer at the pics, it was a MIJ model that came with a hard case. Listed as good condition, but no major cosmetic problems.

When I unbox the guitar, there's no case, no Floyd Bar, a chip by the tremolo and a major chip on forearm binding and it's a MIM 2015 model.

This is the first time I've sent a used guitar from them through UPS, but I'm guessing I don't get the $20 shipping/handling returned. I'll see.

Last edited:

mjross

Reaction score
NEVER buy a guitar in “great“ condition! I mean really, “great” condition can be just about anything. I’ve found may years ago when I bought a guitar in “great“ condition it went something like this when I opened the case, “great“, just ****ing ”great”!

Last edited:

the1jj

Reaction score
I recently bough a pre-owned Gibson LP guitar, which was listed in GREAT condition. Pretty much bought it unseen, as listing had only one low res frontal photo in which no details were visible.

When guitar arrived, I discovered several serious defects, guitar clearly was not in Great condition. In addition to wear scratches and dings there there were areas with finish loss (to bare wood), paint overspray, etc. It was in decent player condition. I took it to a GC store, explained the issues, the person who processed return agreed, even refunded shipping.

Then later I see this guitar listed by the store in the same Great condition with same single bad photo.

I understand that grading used guitars is subjective, but to me this is a recipe for another return. Why details of the defects not added to description? Why not take few more decent photos, so the potential buyers can decide for themselves?

I bet next person will buy the guitar and return in when they see condition.

What do you think?
I bought my Epi silverburst for half price listed in good condition at GC online through their app. It arrived and was pretty flawless, save for 1 speck of silver dust in the black burst near the upper bout binding. No nicks, scratches, breaks, swirls, nothing.

Oddly enough, this works both ways.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
This is the shame of the demise of local music stores, where we all could “play before we paid”. But to get what we want, we mostly have to order now. Just have to ensure there is a return police “for any reason”.

1allspub

Reaction score
GC seems to always be in financial straits... and it’s because they run their business like this. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve spent my share of money with them over the years, but I always hold my nose when I do.

geezbill

Reaction score
Same experience with a LP Trad. Received it with a large hairline crack around the back of the headstock in the usual spot. They have it listed again on the site, crack undisclosed.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy way to run a business. The P.T Barnum principle.
That was the Fry's Electronics business model (not Fry's food, different company)
Sell 1000 units that were 50% defective out of the box.
50% of those 50% don't come back because A) They were so cheap and B) Nobody wanted to wait 45 minutes in the return line for $25

Go to the shelf, probably 50% of the stock had a sticker indicating that it had previously been opened by a Fry's customer.

Ya... I stood in the return line and watched employees take returns from customers and immediately place that sticker on the package, then toss them into a bin for re-stocking.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It’s hit or miss. I recently bought a Jackson custom shop that was nearly mint and listed as good condition.

I ordered an acoustic a while back that said good and had cracks and a lifted top.

It’s no questions asked on returns so there really isn’t any risk, it’s just annoying and what you get.

Peter M

Reaction score
I bought a few used amps from GC online and they all exceeded my expectations. Never tried getting a guitar from them online, however. In fact I've only bought one guitar from GC in my entire life: a spontaneous, off-the-rack purchase which turned out to be one of the best Pauls I've ever owned.

That aside... seems like they have a fast and loose grading system for online guitars.

Latest Threads