Gibson LP Traditional with PLEK on pickup cover?

LPCM&BFG

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've run across an LP Traditional for an "ok" price. There are a few odd things about it that I was hoping you lot could help with, as I am thinking it might be a Chibson. The description just says it's a Les Paul Traditional, no year and only 1 photo of the guitar sitting in the case. The seller also offers only text message or WhatsApp, no email.

- In the photo, the finish of the guitar seems satin black, and not very glossy at all. Did any LP Trads come in satin black?

- the bridge pickup seems to have what is a black oval sticker with the word PLEK. I can't remember ever seeing this on a Gibson, and a Google search does not show anything.

Does any of this sound correct ?

Thanks!

LPCM&BFG

Reaction score
Ok, nevermind.. I found another one in google that looks similar....

Apparently this was part of the Traditional line in 2012...

LPCM&BFG

Reaction score
Here is a photo of another guitar with the PLEKed sticker :

Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 13.46.00.png

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Here is a photo of another guitar with the PLEKed sticker :
Yeah. I know what the sticker looks like. They were coming on most Gibsons at the time. But if a plek sticker and a satin back makes you think something's a chibson, maybe it's worth checking before you fork over your hard earned money.

Plus... Did I tell you we like to see guitars?

LPCM&BFG

Reaction score
Yeah. I know what the sticker looks like. They were coming on most Gibsons at the time. But if a plek sticker and a satin back makes you think something's a chibson, maybe it's worth checking before you fork over your hard earned money.

Plus... Did I tell you we like to see guitars?
Oh, I always check. This guitar is local, so I can drive to look at it.

I had never seen a satin Trad before, especially not in black. They are more usually a burst, or plaintop in my experience.

I guess local retailers removed the stickers here as I had never seen that either. However I have seen stickers on Chibson pickup covers on Youtube in the past, so it raised a flag.

Oh, I think you forgot to mention that we all like to see guitars... Do you think I should post a photo or two?

;)

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Oh, I think you forgot to mention that we all like to see guitars... Do you think I should post a photo or two?

;)
Or three or four.

Really? Must be an import then, I'm located in Europe and it's only 20kms from my home.
GC exclusive in the states. A lot of GC exclusive runs find their way to select dealers in other countries. Usually the biggest one in said country. For example, it's not unusual to see GC exclusive runs in Ishibashi in Japan. Some runs will stay exclusive to certain countries though. Tons of crazy japan-only stuff. Usually priced out of reach for us mere mortals, though.