gibson lp studio 60's

Reaction score
I recieved 3 studio 60's. Compared to the lp classic neck, these 60's necks are not as thin. I think gibson should have have the term "60's style" rather than the term "60's slim taper". I was told the studio 60's necks are closer to a historic 60's neck. I may post pics and more info, from my point of view.

Dragoro

Reaction score
Wonder why that is. My studio deluxe has a 60s neck and is pretty thin. The studio deluxe was even called a studio 60 on the Gibson website.

onvacation

Reaction score
I didn't find the neck on the 50's tribute to be overly thick either.

TheWelder

Reaction score
I have a 50s Tribute and the neck is nowhere near as thick as the '59 neck on my ES 339. A nice neck to be sure, but smaller than what I expected.

SkyDog07

Reaction score
I think they just wanted to make something different from the 50's so they could keep to their 'limited' promise without messing with specs that proved to be very popular the first time around. I'm fine with that. Everyone who wants one should be able to get one without getting ripped off on eBay.

Reaction score
If you are like me, I have wanted several LP's with differing pickup configurations, but unwilling to shell out $1500 to $2000 for each guitar, so when these studio 50's and 60's models came out (especially in the color choices) and the quality was better than I expected, I decided to buy several and place a humbucker in the bridge of each one, using the different gibson Humbucker pickups. I found a way to mount the HB pickup into the p90 slot, without having to make the original p90 slot larger. There is reason a these are limited edition. I don't believe gibson will ever offer a HB studio model in the 50's and 60's color choices, especially under a $1000. What are you thoughts?

Dave1968

Reaction score
I have a 50s Tribute and the neck is nowhere near as thick as the '59 neck on my ES 339. A nice neck to be sure, but smaller than what I expected.

+1

My R8 is alot fatter than my ,50s tribute!!

jimmyohio75

Reaction score
If you are like me, I have wanted several LP's with differing pickup configurations, but unwilling to shell out $1500 to $2000 for each guitar, so when these studio 50's and 60's models came out (especially in the color choices) and the quality was better than I expected, I decided to buy several and place a humbucker in the bridge of each one, using the different gibson Humbucker pickups. I found a way to mount the HB pickup into the p90 slot, without having to make the original p90 slot larger. There is reason a these are limited edition. I don't believe gibson will ever offer a HB studio model in the 50's and 60's color choices, especially under a $1000. What are you thoughts?

How did you manage to get a full size humbucker into the P-90 slot? I want one of these guitars too but I definitely prefer a bucker in the bridge!!:dude:

Reaction score
by trimming the sides of the HB plate...the pickup will then fit into the p90 slot...I leave the Hb in the pickup ring...I remove the p90 pu plate and then using a craftmsman nextec multi tool, I make two small routes into the body, no larger than the width of the pickup plate feet...then I drill a hole for the upper pu ring screw. the upper screw is enough to hold the pu in...it works and I didn't have spend another $1000 for a hb les paul...I can give more details and some photos...good to know I am not the only one who wants to use these 50's and 60's models for hb purposes...let's continue to discuss...I have enjoyed what I have read at this forum..this being the first day I have contibuted...

TheWelder

Reaction score
by trimming the sides of the HB plate...the pickup will then fit into the p90 slot...I leave the Hb in the pickup ring...I remove the p90 pu plate and then using a craftmsman nextec multi tool, I make two small routes into the body, no larger than the width of the pickup plate feet...then I drill a hole for the upper pu ring screw. the upper screw is enough to hold the pu in...it works and I didn't have spend another $1000 for a hb les paul...I can give more details and some photos...good to know I am not the only one who wants to use these 50's and 60's models for hb purposes...let's continue to discuss...I have enjoyed what I have read at this forum..this being the first day I have contibuted...

I would be interested in seeing pics of your guitar when you are finished with the mods. I think we will be seeing more threads with people modding these guitars - it will be interesting to see what ideas people have for them.

That is the cool thing about these Tributes - they are the perfect LP for someone who likes to mod their guitars (like me!). I bought my 50s Tribute because I saw it as a solid LP for $800 that I could tinker with. I have a hard time bringing myself to modify my 'higher end' guitars but this one just begs for upgrades.

Reaction score
I started a new thread with a new header in the gibson les paul forum: gibson les paul studio 60's tribute...i have new questions for all of you...

Latest Threads