Gibson LP Classic 2019 - fretboard problems

Trifolium

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

just got my first Gibson LP today, was trying it out, love the tone, the look, etc. .
BUT I noticed the fretboard was sort of dry, dirty and looked kinda faded.
Especially the color looks strange to me. I have never seen a fretboard this white/pinkish.

Having read about Gibson fretboard issues before I was wondering if you guys had similar issues with this exact model and if it can be resolved by putting lemon oil on the fretboard.
I am usually using lemon oil for my other guitars but atm I am not really keen on using it with this one as I am still in the 30d-return policy term.

Would like to hear your opinion, whether this could easily be resolved or if it's a good reason for returnig the guitar.

Thanks!

Btw. I added some pics including a comparison to my Epi LP

Attachments

swampblues

Reaction score
I’m not sure if Gibson is using quality rosewood anymore

JMP

Reaction score
I think it looks okay. Id put some Guitar Nomad F1 oil on it and start enjoying that guitar. How’s it play?

Trifolium

Reaction score
Plays well, besides the dry fretboard ( and actually the neck and strings feel sticky too).
If I decide to keep it I will put on Elixir strings, and I guess the neck might get less sticky by playing more often...
I was concerned about the set-up because I had huge problems with guitars bought online which came w terrible fretbuzz - but I have to say the LP was grand!

monstruo_loco

Premium Member
Reaction score
The fretboard looks fine. Some rosewood is light and some is darker. Condition it if dry and it will darken a little too.
Exactly what I found with a 2017 SG Standard T, applied a light application of “Lizard Spit” fret board conditioner and wiped after dry, have been playing it ever since & getting darker all the time.

Socrates

Reaction score
Plays well, besides the dry fretboard ( and actually the neck and strings feel sticky too).
If I decide to keep it I will put on Elixir strings, and I guess the neck might get less sticky by playing more often...
I was concerned about the set-up because I had huge problems with guitars bought online which came w terrible fretbuzz - but I have to say the LP was grand!
Just a comment about your thought to put on Elixirs...2 months ago I put a set of Elixir Optiwebs on my LPC..been playing it about 1-2 hours a day...and the strings still sound crisp and like new...may want to try them...mind you I wipe down my strings from above underneath after every session...but am totally sold on them

CB91710

Reaction score
Mine was very, very dry, as was the Flying-V and SG.
A good "soaking" in Dunlop pulled the color up nicely.

Note: That is the ONLY time I ever "soak" my necks with direct application of "puddles" of oil. Routine maintenance is maybe once a year, light treatment is all that's needed unless you live in the Sahara.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Looks a bit dry, yes. But it has an attractive grain. Oil it up and see what happens. You can still return it if you’ve applied lemon oil to the board (if you’re not happy with the results).

Trifolium

Reaction score
Just a comment about your thought to put on Elixirs...2 months ago I put a set of Elixir Optiwebs on my LPC..been playing it about 1-2 hours a day...and the strings still sound crisp and like new...may want to try them...mind you I wipe down my strings from above underneath after every session...but am totally sold on them
:dude:
Had them on my Epiphone and I have to say, to me they sound much better than any other strings + as you have pointed out they last much longer.
For acoustic guitars the difference is even more significant.

Trifolium

Reaction score
So oiling it up is the (approved) solution I suppose :)

Thanks for the advice!
I'll report on the results

Benniator

Reaction score
My Standard’s fretboard was dry and grey when I got it. I put some oil on it and it turned a deep, rich, dark brown. It’s still looking good over a year later.

Renegade

Reaction score
I use "Fret Doctor" once or twice a year (apply sparingly). Keeps the fretboards looking and feeling good.

Utmost

Reaction score
My kids new classic has a really pale FB out of the box yesterday. Streaks of pink as well. Really only knock on it. Gonna give it some nomad once the strings are ready to go.

Sinster

Reaction score
Play it and the oils from your fingers will eventually make the FB not so dry.

Trifolium

Reaction score
So in the end I used a fretboard cleaner by Dunlop and then applied the lemon oil and I have to say I'm super happy with the results!
It finally looks the way that I want it to look,plus it feels and plays nicer.
Thanks for the advice everyone :applause:
I'm really happy with the guitar now and I'm glad that I didn't return it :fingersx:
IMG-20200915-WA0014.jpeg
20200915_162001.jpg

Demon Dave

Reaction score
So in the end I used a fretboard cleaner by Dunlop and then applied the lemon oil and I have to say I'm super happy with the results!
It finally looks the way that I want it to look,plus it feels and plays nicer.
Thanks for the advice everyone :applause:
I'm really happy with the guitar now and I'm glad that I didn't return it :fingersx:
View attachment 488990View attachment 488989
Well done it look just perfect

Latest Threads