Gibson loses V trademark in EU

dspelman

Reaction score
They all make a V, Gibson makes the V. Just my 2 cents.

Meh. I have had three V's in my time, none of them Gibsons, and I'm pretty sure I liked all of them better than Gibson's. They all had better upper fret access, appointments and sound. That's not to trash Gibson, but I'm really glad that other builders were able to sell a better "take" on the V shape without interference from the G brand.

EndGame00

Reaction score
One of these days, Gibson will design an F-shaped guitar and call it "The Flying Fuck"....

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
and then someone else will build the same thing with a pointier head stock on it and say it's fundamentally different.

fry

Reaction score
Meh. I have had three V's in my time, none of them Gibsons, and I'm pretty sure I liked all of them better than Gibson's. They all had better upper fret access, appointments and sound. That's not to trash Gibson, but I'm really glad that other builders were able to sell a better "take" on the V shape without interference from the G brand.
I actually got disinterested in any “pointy” guitars pretty much after the 80s. I always thought the V looked cool, but only took the plunge and tried one about a year ago. I bought it new, and within five minutes after taking it out of the box, I couldn’t get it back in there fast enough to return it. Goofy and awkward as hell in my opinion.

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
I actually got disinterested in any “pointy” guitars pretty much after the 80s. I always thought the V looked cool, but only took the plunge and tried one about a year ago. I bought it new, and within five minutes after taking it out of the box, I couldn’t get it back in there fast enough to return it. Goofy and awkward as hell in my opinion.
f, Mrs. FEZZ "forced" one on me---You need a V--she bought me one for FEZZmas----it sat for a year---then---can't put it down-new #1.

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
In other news, Gibson is currently waiting on trademark approval for these game-changing designs:

tuswdoxowl4fp2nci1ox.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

holy-x_main2.jpg

image-placeholder-title.jpg

itnqrwjrtwhpfgm7ps8r.jpg

156.jpg

Last edited:

Chango Malo

Reaction score
Here's the thing:
Did Gibson make the first V? Yup. Did the trademark it? eeee-yup. Did Gibson pipe up when the first V was made that didn't say Gibson up on the pointy end? Nope.
So Gibson can take a seat and shut the fuck up. That horse left the barn decades ago. In fact that barn done burned down. Twice. Once when Norlin left town and a second when Henry got rode out on a rail.
If this were 1960-something and Gibson was trying to lock down the V I'd say it's theirs. Right now in 2019 Gibson can take a flying fuck at a rolling donut.
It's too damned late. A V shaped body became generic decades ago.

oicu812

Reaction score
QUOTE="Bill Hicklin, post: 9179870, member: 98014"
Oh, yes: thieves, thieves the lot of them!

so it appears CF took Johann Stuafer's design with him.

iu

Nobody in this day and age can come up with a cool original look like that V painting. That style probably won't attract millennials. Those days are long gone.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I still have a V on my keyboard but the D, C, N and half the M are missing. I'm not sure who took them.

oicu812

Reaction score
Here's the thing:
Did Gibson make the first V? Yup. Did the trademark it? eeee-yup. Did Gibson pipe up when the first V was made that didn't say Gibson up on the pointy end? Nope.
So Gibson can take a seat and shut the fuck up. That horse left the barn decades ago. In fact that barn done burned down. Twice. Once when Norlin left town and a second when Henry got rode out on a rail.
If this were 1960-something and Gibson was trying to lock down the V I'd say it's theirs. Right now in 2019 Gibson can take a flying fuck at a rolling donut.

Another well thought out retort. How blessed we are to have someone that has so artfully mastered the English language and exhibits a vocabulary second to none. Plus, this individual is well versed in trademark, patent, and copywriter issues. Why did you make us wait so long for the definitive answer?

Chango Malo

Reaction score
Another well thought out retort. How blessed we are to have someone that has so artfully mastered the English language and exhibits a vocabulary second to none. Plus, this individual is well versed in trademark, patent, and copywriter issues. Why did you make us wait so long for the definitive answer?

I thought I'd let you bloviate for a while and get really frustrated before I stuck the knife in. You are bound and determined to die on this hill, aren't you? OK, go for it. As for me, I got a gig to go to so have fun.

Oh yeah, my point still stands.

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
Here's the thing:

Well, a lawyer would say something like "The plaintiffs' claim is barred by the doctrine of laches as well as estoppel," but that's just the polite way of saying the same thing.

oicu812

Reaction score
oicu, you continue to use conclusory terminology like steal and thieves... but larceny only occurs if two elements are satisfied: that someone 1) takes something that 2) belongs to someone else. 1) is hardly in doubt, but 2) is very much at issue: Did Gibson have any continuing ownership of the V shape after its patent expired? And even if it did in 1974, can it come back now 43 years later and claim that only they and nobody else have ever made a V-shaped guitar, therefore the shape should be theirs?

You can't stake out a patch in a public park and then start suing people for trespassing on it.

Bill, I have clearly stated several times that my personal point of view is if you come up with the idea it is yours, and yours alone. It should be yours until, as I previously stated, you dispose of it in some fashion I.e. sale, gift, or inheritance.

I have never claimed it would stand up in court. The legal-eze bullshit, is to me, exactly that. The laws, to me, are misguided in certain respects.

Nevertheless, Gibson I believe will win in the end, at least in the court of public opinion. Many will scoff at that notion, and already have, we will wait and see. The fact that a historical and iconic American company is making their presence known after some rough years, even if some shudder at the tactics, it is business. Business.

If you are in the Gibson sucks camp, don't buy one, buy a shitbag Dean.

Last edited:

oicu812

Reaction score
I thought I'd let you bloviate for a while and get really frustrated before I stuck the knife in. You are bound and determined to die on this hill, aren't you? OK, go for it. As for me, I got a gig to go to so have fun.

Oh yeah, my point still stands.

You got me you clever little rascal! Don' hurt me any more with your cutting wit, you go for the jugular. It isn't even fair. You have broken me, I am a shell of the man I once was with the tongue lashing you gave me.

Well, a lawyer would say something like "The plaintiffs' claim is barred by the doctrine of laches as well as estoppel," but that's just the polite way of saying the same thing.

No Bil, that is the educated and intelligent way of saying the same thing.

Is ociu812 really Mark Agnesi lol?

Busted! Oh, and only teenage girls use 'lol", not grown men. Assuming of course you are a grown man.

John

Reaction score
Justice prevailed this time around. Good for them, and may this be more to follow against Gibson in this manner.

I am authentically glad for this outcome.

Latest Threads