Gibson Loses Its Firebird Guitar Body Shape Trademark in The EU

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
It's hard to have a discussion forum, without topics to discuss. Positivity doesn't sell.
Yes of course, I forget sometimes! (More flies with shit I guess...)

JTM45

Reaction score
That can be done. And quite nicely.
I know man and I keep thinking about it with regularity.

Can you do a Jackson style bird with a pointy headstock?

How do we get the neck specs right? I don’t know how to measure the profile

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
Getting sick and tired of Gibson and their frivolous lawsuits. All the cats are out of the bag as far as body shapes go. How much do legal fees add to the price of a guitar? Judges should throw out all lawsuits connected with guitar body shapes. Most people are not trying to fool others that they are playing a Gibson--they are simply playing the best instrument they can afford.

What if Martin tried to stop everyone else from building spruce-topped, x-braced, dreadnought style guitars? It would amount to a monopoly if they were successful in court, and few young, or non-affluent people would take up the guitar.

Message from Earth to mgmt at Gibson: try innovating instead of trying to protect decades-old designs that should be considered public domain.

Repo251

Reaction score
Getting sick and tired of Gibson and their frivolous lawsuits. All the cats are out of the bag as far as body shapes go. How much do legal fees add to the price of a guitar? Judges should throw out all lawsuits connected with guitar body shapes. Most people are not trying to fool others that they are playing a Gibson--they are simply playing the best instrument they can afford.

What if Martin tried to stop everyone else from building spruce-topped, x-braced, dreadnought style guitars? It would amount to a monopoly if they were successful in court, and few young, or non-affluent people would take up the guitar.

Message from Earth to mgmt at Gibson: try innovating instead of trying to protect decades-old designs that should be considered public domain.

Absolutely!

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nobody seems to want whatever Gibson innovates, so old models is all they have, save for mixing up the features from one to another, from time to time.
And signature models. Lots of signature models.
And reissues.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
The guitar in your profile pic looks like an exact match to my Standard 60's bourbon burst. Great taste!

JTM45

Reaction score
I'm thinking Dave is going to need to stock up on orange paint and ebony :rofl:
That’s pretty close to what I want right there, 1 knob, flame top, ebony board with no markers, reverse headstock.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s pretty close to what I want right there, 1 knob, flame top, ebony board with no markers, reverse headstock.
That's what I meant... That is also not far off from Crotch's DSG, which is also what I think I'm going to have him shoot on my Explorer, and a few others have drooled over that finish...

JTM45

Reaction score
That's what I meant... That is also not far off from Crotch's DSG, which is also what I think I'm going to have him shoot on my Explorer, and a few others have drooled over that finish...

Oh he’ll yes, Dave did a jam up job on crotch’s. What sucks it that the possibilities are endless, I keep changing my mind :lol:

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh he’ll yes, Dave did a jam up job on crotch’s. What sucks it that the possibilities are endless, I keep changing my mind :lol:
Yep... That is a simply beautiful job from the binding to the flame and the neck.

dspelman

Reaction score
Nobody seems to want whatever Gibson innovates, so old models is all they have, save for mixing up the features from one to another, from time to time.
And signature models. Lots of signature models.
And reissues.

Gibson never seems to want to make what I want.

Ten years ago I wanted a neck-through Les Paul with a 16" radius, 1 3/4" nut width, a Floyd, a "reversed quad" of controls (so that I had a volume knob near the bridge/bridge pickup), an ebony fretboard with real shell inlays, jumbo frets, tight-flame top, white custom-type binding, and a NON-nitrocellulose finish. These days I want the same thing, but with a 25.5" scale and a single-coil size neck pickup. None of this stuff is beyond their technical expertise, but they won't even consider it for a made to order guitar.

It gets worse. Gibson may never get around to making an 8-string headless with a multi-scale fretboard, and that's probably going to be my next guitar.

Gibson doesn't get "innovate." I think the last 7-string I saw them attempt was a 24.75" Explorer (or similar), and that one disappeared quickly.

The last CEO was really distressed when his "innovative" guitars (with the robot tuners and a pedalboard tacked onto the guitar) didn't find traction, and he called his customers Luddites. Oh well.

Latest Threads